Broke My Back
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Broke My Back

Blog Entries

Icon9 Broke My Back

Last week Aug 28th I was pulling my well pipe, and I am 65, POW and on the ground I went.

it took 30 minutes to get back up and pain was almost too much, but I finished my well project.

The next day I went tho my DR and had exray's. It took 10 days to get the results because my DR was out ad no-body would tell me the results. (She is the BOSS @ the VA)

Just a few minutes ago I got the results ............................. I have a compression crack on L-4.

There is nothing that can be done except wait it out. Take Codine ...............
    My biggest problem is getting out of bed, out of a chair, and the worst is getting out of my truck, because I have to twist and bend.
    Look What I Have Become!

Thumbs up Reply...

Damn Ron,

So sorry to hear this. Take it real easy, and rest as much as you can!
    "Rami"

"Me? I'm just a Sea of Tranquility in an Ocean of Storms, babe."

My campaign site: http://www.box.net/shared/0k1e1rz29h
    My missions site: http://www.box.net/shared/ueh4kazk3v
    My scenery site: http://www.box.net/shared/knb1l0ztobhs2esb14rb

Damm....

"Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!" Some SOH Founder.

It's worse when we get into the 60's... just don't heal as fast.

I think I read beer is good for a broken back.

Dick

Sulphur,South West Louisiana in the good'ol USA
    Blog Entries
    So very sorry about your back. Hope the pain meds help and hope you will get well soon. You will be my prayers . Take care , Scott

Blog Entries
    Sorry to hear it Ron...man that is a bad place to get a compression fracture...stay down and behave yourself!
    Ted
    Vivat Christus Rex! Ad maiorem Dei gloriam

SOH-CM-2023
    "Ron fought the pipe ...... and the pipe wooooon,
    Ron fought the pipe and the pipe won !!
    ----- apologies to Bobby Fuller (I Fought The Law, 1964)

Take it easy now. Wild Turkey helps.

Ouch!

Rest up there mate and take it carefully.

It's a bugger getting old - your mind still keeps telling you that you can do things yr body would just rather not know about - and it can get damn frustrating! ( built houses for 35 yrs and still think I'm as active, strong and supple as I was then.....!)

I'm recovering from a tweaked back after digging a grave for my dog, who died suddenly a fortnight ago - it's winter here but the ground is still pick axe territory (oh for a small back-hoe). Seemed OK at the time but....Ron saying how it's a bastard getting up out of chairs, bed, etc brought it into fresh relief.

sorry to hear it ron,now just wait until you have a big BM and have to twist around a bit to much to...well take care of hygiene,not fun..trust me..

Ouch! I know that compression fractures hurt and it is going to hurt for quite a while. Not much can be done for them either, you just wait and hope for the best.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Blog Entries
    Today is day 11, and boy does my back hurt this morning I cannot wait till the Codine kick's in. It was almost too much when I put the chain on my dog to outside. I know I will be more careful in the future when I go to lift something, that is fore sure. (It takes my breath away) I dropped the lid off the dog food and it was pure hell picking it up.

I think the dog knows because he is sleeping next to my painful (which feels good) area he and is better behaved in the house with the 3 older cats, lol.
    Look What I Have Become!

I hate to hear about your back, Ron. I really screwed up an ankle on the 4th of July last year in a fall. It took me 20 mins to get up to where I could kind of stand on the other leg and another 20 to go the 50 feet back into the house. Doc said there was just one tendon holding it all together and had me in one of those plastic boots for several months. Now a year and 2 months later, it's still sore and aching. Doc said it'll probably give me problems from now on. Getting old sucks, but it sure beats the alternative.
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

Blog Entries
    a little while ago I sneezed and it about brought me to my kneeze's
    Look What I Have Become!

Ickie, having had my share of back issues since '83, I feel your pain. Go easy, heat and ice may help, and whatever muscle relaxer you can take.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

Gah! I know full well the pain and suffering you're going though, as I've been there myself about sixteen years ago. I had two herniated disks, and both L-4 and L-5 vertebrae were calcified (it was spurs from the calcification that injured the disks) and a compression crack in L-5.

I had back surgery to drain/repair the disks, scrape the calcified spurs off, and relieve the pressure. As in your case, the surgeon was not able to do anything for the cracked vertebrae except put me in traction for four weeks, then put me in a back brace for six months. I also had to put a 1/2" plywood board under my mattress to provide more support.

I also took a lot of hydrocodone 5mg/acetaminophen 500mg as well. I still get a sharp twinge now and again if I make any sudden movements, or walk down steep stairs, which alas keeps me from my washer/dryer in the basement...

Take it easy my friend and really try not to strain yourself too much for the next six months at least.
    Bill Leaming
    3d Modeler Max/GMax
    C & XML Gauge Programmer

Military Visualizations
    http://milviz.com

Intel® Core™ i7-3770k 4.2GHz - Crucial 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD770 1GB DDR5 (Crossfire) - Eco II Watercooling - Win7 64bit
    Intel® Core™ i7-2600k 3.4GHz - Crucial 8GB DDR3 - NVIDIA EVGA GTX-770 SC 4GB - Win7 64bit

Icon2

Dangit Ron - I thought you were retired!!!

That being said, relax for a bit & see if CK can handle some stuff....

SOH-CM-2021
    Blog Entries
    God Bless you, I will keep you in my Prayers brother for Healing and mercy.

Blog Entries
    The pain was so bad this morning I went to see my DR. I now have a very nice back brace, totally unlike the 2, I have for my old sciatica injury in the same area. 31 years I have been hurting there at the belt line. maybe suspenders are forth coming, lol.
    This new brace locks me from moving the L4'ish area.
    My DR told me that 50% of all back fractures in old people are to L4 and L5, note my DR is 5 years younger then me, lol.
    Look What I Have Become!

Geezz, Ron... I hope at some point that you start getting better. Back issues are no fun, I have had sciatica issues since my late 30's so I can relate to what you're going through... well to a degree maybe.

BB686
    "El gato que camina como hombre" -- The cat that walks like a man

Hopefully that brace will help you get some relief, Ron! I am only 2 yrs younger than you, and am having my share of neck/back problems.

The VA has denied my Disability Claim 3 times now (no surprise, from what a lot of other vets tell me). I am going to see a VA-appointed doc this coming week, who will "evaluate" my problems. Not looking forward to this appointment.

At at our age, when such things happen, I am glad there IS medicine that can relieve pain. Of course the downside to that is you can't really do much because you are either asleep or too loopy to function.

Take care of yourself! Pete

Ron...I hope the back brace does the trick for you while you heal. Be sure to do some physical therapy too (if your doctor hasn't already prescribed it) once the bones heal. Bet you won't be pulling any pipes out of the ground any more.
    Expect banging, belching and an occasional manly fart as you roar down the runway at full power. (I have found that the engine can make similar noises)

Blog Entries
    well it has been 2 weeks plus 2 days and I am feeling better, but still have daily pain. reaching down to pull up the toilet seat is the worst of it, lol
    The brace really helps. I wear it about 8 hr's a day, but it get's HOT.
    Look What I Have Become!

Sorry to hear this Ron. I too have a bad back, mine is nerve related from a fall injury from 1990. My back is okay much of the time except for the occasional nerve flare-ups from over-doing household chores. Last year lifting a single box caused me to end up being debilitated for 2 months. Anyhow, I hope you get better soon Ron!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ickie! I can simpathize with you and share your paiiiiin! Although, I'm at the end of the severe pain it is not forgotten. The sneezing business is downright horrifying and also brought me to the ground! I would hang on to anything that gave me support when I felt a sneeze coming on. It help a bit. Getting out of bed commanded a great feat and goal for the day as well as just trying to sit on the toilet ( besides the simple act of doing maintenance back there...lol). I'm on week four and pain level down to 2 and 3. I'm starting to do basic chores again! Yeah

hope your healing and pain pass quickly

Jim
    Jetline system
    Windows 7 Home Premium
    Intel(R) Core (TM)i7-4790k cpu 4.00GHz
    8.00 GB 64-bit Operating System
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 980

SOH-CM-2021
    Blog Entries
    I am praying daily for you to heal, and I can honestly say I understand with my spinal injury this is very true.
    God Bless you..

Members who have read this thread: 0