Green Island Airport 1944
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Green Island Airport 1944

Green Island Airport 1944

While waiting for a needed information to continue the Incheon Landing scenery, i decide to make another US airbase from World War II. Something that matches the Emirau Island 1944 i did in the past. So my decision was to do the Green Island Airbase (today its called Nissan Island Airport (AYIA) ) the US forces build up in 1944. From this airbase attacks are launched to Rabaul.

Green Island Airbase had been given two runways an everyone has got an own name. First one is called Lagoon Airfield.... the second one is called Ocean Airfield. Bothe togehter had been named as Green Island Airbase.

From Wikipedia : "The New Zealand 3rd Division landed on Nissan Island on 15 February 1944 as part of the Solomon Islands campaign. The U.S. Navy 22nd Construction Regiment landed with the New Zealanders and began building support facilities. Work on a fighter airstrip began on 20 February and by 5 March a coral-surfaced 5,000 feet (1,500 m) by 150 feet (46 m) fighter runway known as Lagoon Airfield was ready for use and aircraft carried out the first attack on Kavieng. In late March a parallel 6,000 feet (1,800 m) by 150 feet (46 m) bomber runway known as Ocean Airfield was ready for use, it was later lengthened to 7,300 feet (2,200 m). Additional airfield facilities such as road and taxiways and a tank farm were also constructed. Construction had been extremely difficuly with dense foliage and large trees needing to be removed, rock blasting was necessary, and all coral used for filling had to be quarried at distant locations."

I think it would not take to long to end this scenery. Islands are ready, landclasses are done and the airbase also is nearly ready. I will do a big airtraffic (like Emirau Islands 1944) for this one too.

First a little map that shows where this airbase took place.

Yust some pictures for now so you can see what it is like just in time.

Hope you will like this one as another place to take action in the pacific.

Greetings
    Klaus
    Last edited by klnowak; August 30th, 2016 at 09:04.

Wonderful Klaus. Will be a nice "extension" to the Solomons.
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Quote Originally Posted by expat View Post
    Wonderful Klaus. Will be a nice "extension" to the Solomons.
    Thanks.... i hope it will be.

Greetings
    Klaus

This looks great Klaus,I'm really looking forward to it.

Nice work Klaus, it looks great already.

Cheers,

Good work, Klaus! This will reduce flight time to Rabaul :-)
    My scenery development galleries:
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/x0skkam7xu8zz8r/DFwnonB1nH

Solomon 1943 V2 Open beta download: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/download...on-1943-V2.zip
    Solomon 1943 V2 update 2013-02-05 download: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/download...2013-02-05.zip

Current Project: DHC-4 / C-7a Caribou by Tailored Radials
    Dev-Gallery at https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qjdtcoxeg...bAG-2V4Ja?dl=0

Islands and the airbase are nearly ready. So its time for a little testing first AI-Traffic. Did some repaints for the Dauntless SBD from Marine Torpedo Bombing Squadron 341 that was on this island just in this time.
    You can see.... first flight plans are ready too.

Greetimgs
    Klaus

There sure is a lot of activity going on there. Great work Klaus.

Cheers,

Did all the repaints and most of the traffic files. So i think it will be ready till next weekend (hope so)

You can see .... New Zealand squadrons had arrived on this island too. Like they did in real ... together with the US forces.

Greetings
    Klaus

Moving carrier grpup between Rabaul and Green Islands

Greetings
    Klaus

This is superb!
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Just found the jap. carrier force 150 miles to the north. Reporting back home to launch an attack to this fleet.

Greetings
    Klaus

AI formations near Rabaul and Green Islands

US formation heading for Rabaul to attack. (16 planes B25 and F-4U)

Jap- bombers heading to Green Island base for counter attack

Greetings
    Klaus

Japanese airbase at Rabaul (first shots....wip)

This airbase will also be part of this scenery. So all the jap fighter will have a homebase to fly off. And you will have a target where you can go from Green Islands.

All other things are ready now. Green Islands are ready, air traffic is ready, ship traffic is ready. Just doing some little testing and will end Rabaul airbase. Also i have to write the readme. Think this upcoming weekend it will be uploaded (hope i will not find big mistakes during the testing)

Greetings
    Klaus

Japanese airbase at Rabaul (next step)

Greetings
    Klaus

Last pictures before upload ....

Greetings
    Klaus

Boy am I going to enjoy this. A wish come true with the enemy ship and A/C to engage. Thanks!

It`s ready know. Upload ist just going on to the Warbirds Library in here.

Hope you will have fun with this scenery

Greetings
    Klaus

Thanks Klaus!

A fantastic effort to reproduce so many features.

Cheers,

Thanks for the kind words

During the next time i will do some continius work on the Incheon scenery and just have started another pacific scenery for world war II......

...... perhaps you will guess what it will be

The leading officer thougt it would take 3 ...perhaps only 2 .... days to take this island. Just he was wrong. The battle for this island takes over 2 month till US-Marines secure this little island. There was a very high casualty rate for the Marines.

Postwar statisticians calculated that it took US forces over 1500 rounds of ammunition to kill each Japanese defender, and that during the course of the battle, the Americans expended 13.32 million rounds of 30-calibre, 1.52 million rounds of 45-calibre, 693,657 rounds of 50-calibre bullets, 118,262 hand grenades and approximately 150,000 mortar rounds.

Greetings
    Klaus
    Last edited by klnowak; October 1st, 2016 at 08:20.

Quote Originally Posted by klnowak View Post
    It`s ready know. Upload ist just going on to the Warbirds Library in here.

Hope you will have fun with this scenery

Greetings
    Klaus
    Thank You!

Btw. Link is here: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...lands-1944-zip .
    Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Members who have read this thread: 0