DirectX 10: Wow!

Thread: DirectX 10: Wow!

DirectX 10: Wow!

I've run into a bit of Virual Address Space (VAS) problems with my old FSX setup, with the simulator quitiing on me on two unrelated flights. So after a bit of an analysis of FSX' VAS usage, with the biggest offenders being immersive and thus rather indispensable features like LOD radius autogen and AI as well as the aircraft model, I decided to give the DX10 mode another try. My last attempts were five minutes to check performance after FSXSE was released piled on top of a lot of disappointment in performance and bugs. However, since operating systems, video card drivers and the platform itself (at leat slightly) changes, I figred I had nothing to lose. Besides, there's that universally praised payware shader set supposed to fix a lot of things that were intended, but not implemented for the original DX10 mode.

So switching on DX10 and installing the free shader fixes and reading up on the required FSX and NvidiaInspector settings, I found that the past performance drops were not present anymore. I did, however experience low framerates during overcast conditions, but this was quickly traced back to my GTX570 not being able to keep up with the demands imposed by Sparse Grid Anti-Aliasing and a bug that basically anti-aliases clouds. So back to the default anti-aliasing settings offered by DX10 mode I went and found that performance in clouds was okay again, all the while looking not worse than on my DX9 setup.
    I could do away with portover aircraft and scenery incompatibility as this was just a test anyway.

Reflying the first, formerly OOM-plagued flight in the Metroliner went really well (save for low framerates in the thick cloud layers generated by FSXWX) and I arrived with a whopping 1.2 GB of VAS remaining - while using higher display settings (LOD radius, bloom, cockpit shadows) than before. For a comparison, FSX with DX9 had quit on me on approach with a measly 0.12 GB of available VAS.
    This was promising, so I took the money I had saved the evening before while writing the VAS usage analysis (instead of doing the usual alcohol-fueled socializing normal people do on Fridays) and bought the DirectX 10 Fixer. I figured that the investment wouldn be worth it in the long run if it indeed fixed portover compatibility and framerate drops.

After an easy purchase, installation and setup, I tackled flight number two, going from Minneapolis to Atlanta via St. Louis and Nashville. Lots of scenery and - especially - AI to cover. Add time of day into the equation, requiring a switch from daylight to night ground textures and you got yourself a perfect poison for the Virtual Address Space - as experienced with DX9 before. Climbing out of a cloudy MSP, there were only slight framerate drops in clouds, confirming that the "do not anti-alias clouds" setting of the fixer really does its job. Neat! Cockpit shadows were only spotted above the clouds while turning toward the first waypoint and while I wasn't particularly awed by the shadows themselves, the fact that they are dependent on position and intensity of the ambient (sun)light is all the more impressive.
    The flight was only plagued by (normal) short stutters while injecting new weather or loading Atlanta's city and airport scenery. On approach and final, the new shaders really showed off what they can do. Cockpit, cloud and autogen shading accounting for the light from the setting sun and even slightly better framerates than in DX9 mode with the latter only significantly dropping while looking back at the sun. The VAS readout, courtesy of FSUIPC, made me a bit nervous as I only had around 0.3 GB remaining on approach and landing but it all worked out without issue. Even with the higher display settings than on the failed attempts. Wow!

In elation after a successful flight in a taxing enviroment, I checked up portover compatibility. Calclassic's DC-6B got its exterior textures back and the LSK airbase scenery also showed up correctly. Not to mention the few remaining non-native AI models I still use. Great!

So far, the DX10 fixer is an investment I don't regret. It enhanced the FSX experience and even silenced the siren song of P3D, which is either a dead end (v1 and v2) or becoming a compatibility nightmare (v3 and future versions). At about half the cost of an educational license, DX10, FSXSE and Windows 10 really seem to be a perfect match. A stable and - maybe due to the recent big update - very well performing operating system, a FSX patch level requiring no more performance tweaking* and the new shaders offering great visuals with much better VAS use (once you work around the broken full screen implementation in W10).

Pictures of the cockpit shadows and some great sunset atmosphere:

I may be late to the DX10 party and enthusiasm, but as the saying goes: Better late than never.

And now excuse me, I've got some shader tweaking and actual flying to do.

* Really. I've thrown Bufferpools and the AffinityMask tweaks that I've successfully used for a long time out of my fsx.cfg and it seemed to have actually improved performance! The only added tweaks left are accounting for wide view angles and VSync in windowed mode.

Steve Parsons DX10Fixer is a must have.. The latest version 3.0 adds even more to an already impressive array of corrections to lighting and atmosphere and did so much more.

Steve Parsons DX10Fixer was my very first investment after Gold installation - and allowed me to get started despite a poor performing PC... replaced since

Worth every penny !

Gérard

Welcome to Dx10 Bjoern!

I've been there, on and off since 2008 but since Steve's Fixes in 2012 I've never been back to Dx9.
    SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

Hmm,

I have known about the DX10 Fixer from the early release, but never even considered it due to comp issues w DX10.

Your post certainly is making me rethink if I should give it a try (even after 4 years, lol).
    One day without laughter, is one day without living.
    One day without Flight Simming, is one day lost living.

Tried it once. Very fluid. But it wiped out or turned my AI white which was a no go.
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

If that was the case, it wasn't the Direct X 10 payware fixer but the freeware fix from the Avsim library.
    Possibly 8 bit textures would not show and that would make the aircraft invisible (wiped out).
    They can be corrected by the Dx 10 Toolbox that comes with the fixer.

It is not the Fixer that causes these problems, it is the use of the Preview Direct X 10 mode.
    Properly used, the Fixer has the means to make virtually all the problems go away and add
    some desirable features that are not there in the Direct X 9 mode.
    Regards,
    Nick

Managed to make DX10 stutter last night, but I don't know if it was the disabled cloud culling in the shader or choking the connection to Plan-G with 250 AI aircraft in the area. (I accidentially generated too many GA flight plans, around 400 MB worth).

I've been committed to DX10 for a couple of years - it was a big improvement in FPS for me, with the same setup.

Be aware, though, that some things still aren't supported in DX10. For example, the neatest Tacpack features - Night Vision and FLIR - require DX9.

Most other problems can be solved by easy-to-get shader and other fixes. The SteveFX tool makes it super easy.

I have never looked back. Wouldn't even consider DX9 now. And I have P3D 3.5.5, and with roughly equivalent graphics settings in both of them, DX10 delivers better performance hands down.

Until I get a better PC, performance with decent graphics isn't everything - it's the only thing.

One of these days maybe I can afford something with enough power to see those fancy cockpit shadows I see in videos!

Dutch

Currency conversions applied, I find this "fixer" far too expensive.

Tick the Preview Direct X 10 box in the in-game display settings.
    Regards,
    Nick

This thread made me try the fixer. Worth every euro! Thanks Bjoern!

Cees

Quote Originally Posted by ceo1944 View Post
    One of these days maybe I can afford something with enough power to see those fancy cockpit shadows I see in videos!
    P3D shadows?

The DX10 ones come at little to no performance impact. At least the standard, non-HD ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Cees Donker View Post
    This thread made me try the fixer. Worth every euro! Thanks Bjoern!

You're very welcome.

Hope that Steve still has some shader tricks up his sleve.

Quote Originally Posted by Stefano Zibell View Post
    On one hand yes, 25€ is a bit steep, but on the other it saves me the time to learn how to program shaders myself, the tool is still being updated, it's still cheaper than P3D and you get to retain most of your portovers.

Not sure how the fixed DX10 stacks up against P3D v1 and v2 though (v3 does not count as it breaks a lot of compatibility). Maybe some users can shed some light on this?

Quote Originally Posted by Stefano Zibell View Post
    The cockpit shadows alone make this worth the money - much more realistic than DX9.

I am a convert too. After seeing the cockpit shadows in the A2A T6, there is probably no going back. What does not work in DX10 is probably going to be kicked off the install...

Top tool. Still playing with settings and addons. Probably going to have a ton of questions to ask in the VERY near future.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
    Per Ardua ad Astra

Members who have read this thread: 0