F-80 redux released
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: F-80 redux released

F-80 redux released

The bird is up here at SOH! Thanks to Willy Henk and Toby for putting up with me on this project! See Readme for complete credits. Update of the now freeware AlphaSim F-80.

FSXA, FSXSE P3D compatible. TACPACK integrated with model limitations.

MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO
    Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

And while it's nice to have, you don't have to have Tacpack to fly it! (Just thought I'd add that bit)

And thanks to Rick, Henk & Toby as well. They've done a great job!!
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

Love it! The only problem I've found is on the "Factory New" texture. Under the left flap it appears to be solid white. Maybe a problem with the alpha channel? Other than that this is a great update of an old classic. Well worth the download

Quote Originally Posted by FooFighter7 View Post
    Love it! The only problem I've found is on the "Factory New" texture. Under the left flap it appears to be solid white. Maybe a problem with the alpha channel? Other than that this is a great update of an old classic. Well worth the download
    I found that issue last night...but had to work early and couldn't fix it in time...forgot about it when I left for work. it's a mirrored Specular texture. So you can do one of 2 things. make a copy of the opposite side specular and rename to the left side texture. Or you can use the speculars from the bare metal scheme (all of them). Those are the ones I'm using...but that's just my preference. Willy's are fantastic as is. I'm actually working on combining his with mine into a hybrid version...(evil cackle)
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

SOH-CM-2023
    Blog Entries
    From the earlier thread it is clear how much effort you put into this. Thank you for this classic bird!<o></o>

Hello,

Great job!
    I just love it!
    Thank you very much!

Alain
    -

Willy has sent me his paint kit. He did most of the work on the updated paints. I set out the materials for the model (what reflects, shines, fresnel) which Henk implemented (Thanks Henk!!) and I created the bare metel schemes and the alpha and speculars for those. So I don't want to take the credit for this. That was my part...and testing it.... I'm going to add what I did for the bare metal to his paint kit, and then I'm making it a bit more friendly to work in. Hopefully you'll be able to use it! I will upload it today or tomorrow (likely). It's 4096x4096. I suggest saving the .dds files at that size and then resizing them to 2048x2048 for better performance in sim. Hope you all enjoy this bird!

Edit: Just a quick note about thelse old Alpha models...at least from my experience. The UV map doesn't exactly match up to where the texture is being read from. So to be safe color exactly where the visible painted areas are for best results. There will be trial and error for sure!
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

Well done. Beautiful.

Thanks to all for bringing this bird back to FSX.

Cheers
    -- WH

If at first you don't succeed, try, try,try again. ... or go read the manual.

It was surprising to see how far forward Rick, Henk and Willy we were able to take this old model in terms of model/materials/visual appeal. Makes me both excited and tired at the same time to think of how many great models we could revisit in this way.

For example, maybe after a rest, I'd love to see what we could do for Piglet's beautiful old T-33. Adding the new visual appeal to his masterpiece would be a great way to pay tribute.

Well done to all involved ... she flies, and looks great ! BTW Stellar screenshot Rick with the lightning in the background. Mike

Yay....new toys....always like new toys...

We didn't have room for all the paints that were done, so I've uploaded the ones I did and they're available now.

I've got more in the pipeline. These were just the ones I did while waiting for the release.

22FS Berlin Airlift 1948

Acrojet Demonstration Team

Baby Doll II Korea 1952

Gentleman Jim 1946 (what if)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gentleman Jim.jpg   45-8648.jpg   Acrojet Team.jpg   Baby Doll.jpg  

Very nice Willy!!! You're holding out on us! ha ha ha... I can't believe how great this old bird looks with a spit polish!
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

Paints are looking very nice, but I have not been able to find the actual aircraft in the library. What am I missing here?
    One day without laughter, is one day without living.
    One day without Flight Simming, is one day lost living.

The other "what if" P-80 that's now available.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tarheel.jpg  

This is excellent. The bare metal textures look a bit different than the painted versions. I like the different aluminum staining. Are you planning any paints on those textures?

d
    Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

Quote Originally Posted by dvj View Post
    This is excellent. The bare metal textures look a bit different than the painted versions. I like the different aluminum staining. Are you planning any paints on those textures?

d
    I have one in the works dvj. 61st FS MI summer 1948.

If you go to the texture redux thread a little ways down the page it's on the last page....anot early progress shot.

If you want to add a little more "umff" to the current skins you can always try copying overy the specular textures from the bare metal paint to any of the painted ones. They won't be custom but they might work for you. I personally have done that. Please remember to save the originals in case you don't like how it turns out! Preference is a very finicky proposition!
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

Luv the early Jets, lose interest after the 60's.

And this one with it's new liveries is just superb.
    "Somewhere out there is Page 6!"
    "But Emilo you promised! It's postpone"

ASWWIAH Member

Hello,

-I Used some gauges SF8_F86, which seem to me more beautiful than those of Alphasim!
    Here are some pictures:

Alain

-

Blog Entries
    Willy you have outdone yourself...you are now a steely-eyed FIRST CLASS painter!
    Ted

Nice Gauge setup Alain!
    Vivat Christus Rex! Ad maiorem Dei gloriam

Thanks for the link Mike.

Had seen that name, but thought it was another repaint.

Downloading now. Will give it a go over the weekend
    One day without laughter, is one day without living.
    One day without Flight Simming, is one day lost living.

Quote Originally Posted by 000rick000 View Post
    I have one in the works dvj. 61st FS MI summer 1948.

If you go to the texture redux thread a little ways down the page it's on the last page....anot early progress shot.

If you want to add a little more "umff" to the current skins you can always try copying overy the specular textures from the bare metal paint to any of the painted ones. They won't be custom but they might work for you. I personally have done that. Please remember to save the originals in case you don't like how it turns out! Preference is a very finicky proposition!
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

The paints that I've done have been using Rick's speculars as I felt the paints had a better appearance with his rather than the ones I did for them.

Nice panel work Alain. I've did a few changes in that department myself using other gauges. Here's mine

I used gauges from various sources on this. Mostly just setting it up for the way I like to fly.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Flt 19-2016-aug-25-014.jpg   Flt 19-2016-aug-26-005.jpg  

Started on this one this morning. Still have a bit to do (minor things like wings, tail, etc)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Flt 19-2016-aug-26-018.jpg  

Members who have read this thread: 1