repainting tutorials for complete beginners

Thread: repainting tutorials for complete beginners

repainting tutorials for complete beginners

What would you guys recommend as a repainting tutorial for someone who's never repainted anything before, i know my way around PSP7 and have done some basic stuff, copying and pasting basically but im in the dark about anything more advanced,
    interested to hear your recommendation's, ian

I'm pretty sure I've seen a tutorial here by Nigel Richards. Think it was in the FS2004 forums but in reality.. much of that would apply for FSX. Specs and bumps can be a black art and I wouldn't expect anyone who's not painted before to even attempt messing with those.

ATB
    DaveB
    Last edited by DaveB; August 25th, 2016 at 09:21. Reason: typo

These are the best tutorials I've seen to date. I personally used them and keep going back to reference them. The guy is a Photoshop guru...but you can apply what he does in any painting app. They are lengthy but well worth it.

https://youtu.be/ztyJlKDbdwA
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO
    Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

Tutorials? Just experiment with the possibilities a program gives

Cheers

Thank you Rick, much appreciated!
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Thanks guys, one i do remember was by Michael Davis, one time contributor to Alphasim, a long, long, long time ago, back in my CFS2 days, it seemd to make sense at the time but i lost it years back, but i'll have a look at your recommendation's.

cheers ian

Quote Originally Posted by hae5904 View Post

Cheers
    Yes, that's how you truly learn how to do it. But if you want a head start, here is Michael's tutorial resaved in pdf format.

Attachment 42317

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by 000rick000 View Post
    These are the best tutorials I've seen to date. I personally used them and keep going back to reference them. The guy is a Photoshop guru...but you can apply what he does in any painting app. They are lengthy but well worth it.

https://youtu.be/ztyJlKDbdwA
    Yep! I watched every one of those videos and cant express how much they helped me awhile back.

Quote Originally Posted by ian elliot View Post
    What would you guys recommend as a repainting tutorial for someone who's never repainted anything before, i know my way around PSP7 and have done some basic stuff, copying and pasting basically but im in the dark about anything more advanced,
    interested to hear your recommendation's, ian
    I started messing around with textures a little while ago. I look at the tutorials when I am trying to overcome points where I get stumped.

Something that I had ben wanting to do for a while was change the Milviz F-4E pilots visor to look like the one my dad flew with.
    I found the helmet texture and started experimenting on how to change the color on the visor.
    Then I took some pictures of the visor (he has it hanging on his "love me" wall) and did a cut and paste of the artwork onto it.
    Finally, I had to do some touch up and blending to make it look tidy.

Since I barely know how to do anything with Photoshop, it took me 4 hours, but I'm pretty happy with the result:

I think if I were to do it all over again, I could do it all in an hour.

My ultimate goal is to do a repaint of an F-4E that he actually flew..... but I need to do a lot more research for that.

Hi Frank, thanks for putting up the link but i just keep getting a "Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator"

cheers ian

Quote Originally Posted by ian elliot View Post
    Hi Frank, thanks for putting up the link but i just keep getting a "Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator"

cheers ian
    OK, well I blame it on the forum software for indicating it was all good.

Here is a copy: http://www.mirage4fs.com/Alphasim/PSP_Tutorial.zip

Quote Originally Posted by hae5904 View Post

Cheers
    That's much easier said than done, especially from the standpoint of someone just beginning. There are areas of the process of repainting that require specific instructions to even grasp the concept (speculars, bump mapping, etc) and would never be something a beginner would simply fall into when "experimenting with the possibilities a program gives them". Now once those are mastered, then yes I would say the rest is experimentation, but tutorials for those portions of repainting that require specific steps to master are a necessity and are not steps that a novice painter would simply stumble upon in the process.
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

Hi Ian,
    Here's very basic tutorial. I modified one that I found that was designed for PSP and modified it to use Paint.net. It will work with either program. I acknowledge the source within the program and you my wish to refer to it.

https://app.box.com/s/3y94cvrtwqmgg11fi7pj

Jim F.

Thanks for all the great tips!
    Anneke

Here are some of the old "Simmers Paint Shop" tutorials and other stuff in the categories section that are around for awhile.
    You should be able to apply the techniques in other programs.

http://www.logtnest.nl/the-heritage-...rs-paint-shop/

When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading.
    Henny Youngman

Members who have read this thread: 0