Revisiting the subject of GCA-controlled approaches...

Thread: Revisiting the subject of GCA-controlled approaches...

Revisiting the subject of GCA-controlled approaches...

I have posted about GCA-controlled approaches in FSX previously, and it was mentioned by someone that Cloud9's Aviano scenery for FS9 did have GCA.

My question is twofold.

Will the Cloud9 Aviano scenery work in FSX?

And if so, is that scenery still available for purchase?

Thanks, NC

Quote Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
    I have posted about GCA-controlled approaches in FSX previously, and it was mentioned by someone that Cloud9's Aviano scenery for FS9 did have GCA.

My question is twofold.

Will the Cloud9 Aviano scenery work in FSX?

And if so, is that scenery still available for purchase?

Thanks, NC
    Yes, it would be nice if there was a program similar to vLSO that allowed GCA capability at airports equipped with ILS systems.
    I sent an e-mail to Paddles last year mentioning the idea to him, but he is content to only develop vLSO.

Quote Originally Posted by awstub View Post
    Yes, it would be nice if there was a program similar to vLSO that allowed GCA capability at airports equipped with ILS systems.
    I sent an e-mail to Paddles last year mentioning the idea to him, but he is content to only develop vLSO.
    Speaking of VLSO, Paddles emailed me recently and mentioned that a new version (not just a update) would be released soon! NC

FSX (and FS9?) does have variables to determine the position relative to a localizer and glide slope. So with Doug Dawson's XML sound gauge, suitable voice samples and a bit of XML magic, a GCA is possible...provided that the arrival airport has a full fledged ILS.

Quote Originally Posted by Bjoern View Post
    FSX (and FS9?) does have variables to determine the position relative to a localizer and glide slope. So with Doug Dawson's XML sound gauge, suitable voice samples and a bit of XML magic, a GCA is possible...provided that the arrival airport has a full fledged ILS.

I just think it would add yet another interesting option. I personally do not know how to incorporate it, but DO remember what it was like to be a back seat rider, and hear the communication between the pilot and GCA. Very cool. NC

FS98 had AFB adventures by Major Alan that had a GCA feature. The files are still at flightsim. I remember trying them and thought they were not that great. It may have been I was a little picky being an ex navy aircontroller. Now that I think of it, it was probably pretty advanced for FS98.

Looked over the old RadarContact4 and sadly didn't see anything for GCA/PAR options in the approaches. I remember our slow moving SH-60 getting vectored all over Jacksonville in the GCA pattern back in my USN days. Now that I have done a few PARs, pretty easy up front just reacting to ATC.
    Fly Navy/Army
    USN SAR
    DUSTOFF/ARMY PROPS

Members who have read this thread: 0