I'm so tired.... - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm so tired....

Cees, ********, yep I agree re instability. I can't add much as I am off-grid in a very primary way and rely only on solar/generator for power which limits my technological adoption. I have kept my box a basic off the shelf HP with WIN 7, dual-core chip set and 4.0 GB speed, I have rebuilt FSX so many times (hardware and scenery issues dominate the stuff ups for me) that I began to carve up the system to be kept in discreet parcels (directories) which I can put back in on a rebuild (All my scenery now resides outside of FSX except the default stuff and I have a minimum of aircraft to use unless I switch in a directory to replace the sim-objects (so I parcel them up according to eras, pre WWII, post WWII, the jet age etc) after a corruption occurs (and MS FS is really good at getting itself twisted a lot). I guess on one rebuild I looked closely at what the install was doing and realised that FSX likes the mundane or ordinary in hardware and trying to go super fast trips it right up, the other thing is I give it space and time when loading or shutting down. The other thing I shut off was all WIN7 updates (yes and the PC has run just fine ever since and as browser or internet access and work is a different beast [Java etc] so I dont care if there is another so called update, update what, they stopped developing WIN7 years and years ago) when I realised they were all to get me to go to WIN10 of which I have no interest in whatsoever. It seems to me that the FSX was really designed for the boxes available at the time and the coding gets easily fragmented or the run routines get out of whack easily if there is competition on the chip for space and if script calls are interfered with.

That being said all I have found so far is that a lot of tweaks have been abandoned and I just run a bog standard box with the settings FSX thought were appropriate for my system at set up and left it at that. I do not get CTD's or mid flight crashes at all. Where I get crashes or stuff ups is in the menu section or sim settings selections where FSX has to reset itself and the time function most of all will cause a major hiccup. This is where I discovered that FSX actually references non FSX software and hardware PC settings to provide information about windows behaviour, units of measurement, time etc. My thoughts about this is the more patches the worse that will get, so no more patches. Have I fix for any of this, nope, but I sure have mitigated the problems by not adding to them.

Just another way of looking at the same problem I guess. FWIW. Yeah and as an old hand Unix programmer I despise MS stuff always have, inelegant convoluted crap! But that is what is that is what is, now If I could make FSX run on Linux properly that would be the solution, but I can't, too hard to emulate.

I'm sorry to hear so many people having trouble. I run on Windows 10, allowing updates -- even the scary new one, and I just must be lucky. FSX is pretty smooth with detailed planes over FTX detailed airports (FPS usually around 35 where I have it locked). It does slow down over big cities, but not so bad that I can't enjoy the flight. I do some long flights, and I have yet to have a crash of the sim (plenty of crashes IN the sim). Once in a GREAT while, my screen will go black for just a second, but it comes right back.
    Anyway, just know that it can be done. I don't know how I'm doing it, but it can be done.

Here are my system specs:

Intel Quad Core i7-6700K 4.1 GHz OC
    Nvidia GTX 980 TI
    Asetek Premium 240mm Sealed-Loop Liquid Cooler
    32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 2666 MHz RAM
    2 TB ADATA SP510 SSD
    Windows 10 Pro
    FSX + Acceleration from original discs.
    CH yoke, pedals, throttle quadrant, and fighterstick.
    TrakIR 5
    --Brian

Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid.

This thread is an interesting read.

I have FSX A running on a dedicated computer, with FTX Global/Vector/OpenLC for scenery improvement. I have the PMDG 737NGX running smooth, and fly that in a multiplayer session every Saturday with no issues.

Over the years I have developed a specific routine when performing a clean install. My last clean install was last January, after 3 years of running FSX. The clean install was initiated after deciding to give windows 10 a chance. No regrets so far.

For the clean install I stick with a document I compiled, using my own experiences, as well as suggestions from Flight sim "guru's" that can be found on diverse forums.

My computer specs are:
    PC 1:
    Windows 10 (upgraded from W7 last December)
    Intel I7 2600k Overclocked to 4.3GHZ. (Water cooled with a Corsair H70)
    EVGA GTX 770, 4GB DDR5
    120GB solid state for the OS.
    A 500GB WD Black HDD for FSX-A and FSX-SE.
    A 1TB WD Black HDD for FSX add-ons

PC 2 (networked):
    Intel Q6600
    Low end pc (approx 10 years old)
    Windows 10 (upgraded from XP/W7 a few weeks ago)
    Runs add-on's like ASN, FSC, Plan-G and Skype for communicating during multiplayer sessions.

Oh, and did I mention that the main FSX pc has 4 monitors connected? 3 for the outside.cockpit view, and one for the gauges.

I use NVidia Inspector and some FSX.cfg tweaks.
    Settings are pretty much maxed out.
    As I mentioned earlier, The sim is running smooth. And I think that is because I don't chase frame rates, but look for the soft spot.

I do use two different settings profiles, one for multiplayer, and one for free flight. (mainly as I limit AI Traffic during multiplayer sessions).

I hardly ever run in to crashes. I think that, for me, it is due to the way I have set up and tweaked FSX, and the fact that the FS pc is used for nothing else but running the sim, LUA and GoFlight.

I also know, due to my experience, that two computers with exactly the same components will still have differences in performance.

Cees if there is anything I can help you with that you may not have already tried, then feel free to shoot me a PM.

A happy FSX-A/Windows 10 flight simmer.
    One day without laughter, is one day without living.
    One day without Flight Simming, is one day lost living.

OpEd

I have a mid-range computer, 3gig processor, with a fair to middling graphics card and running Windows 10 fully updated.
    I get excellent results with FS9 and P3D and while not the best on FSX it is tolerable. One thing I don't have is extensive scenery addons and this is probably the reason for decent flying experiences in FSX.

My opinion is that recent developments in scenery and aircraft are exceeding the capabilities of this aged flight simulator software and I am hopeful that we shall see some vast improvements in the near future for both divergent systems of Microsoft's ESP.

LM has made some notable improvements for the technology industry and now DTG is making a strong effort to address the constraints of this software to reach a larger market share from the general public.

For the simmers this is an excellent outlook on a new horizon but for the developers, especially commercial, it will be problematic.

To say that you want FS to improve and blame all the problems on the OS sounds to me like a conservative mind frame. We all want everything to stay the same but better. It's just not going to happen.

For those who want to stay with earlier versions of Windows, and I can understand the frustrations, you will eventually find everything passing you by and the worst part of it, nobody will care.

For me, I will try to have the greener grass if I can and let my neighbor worry about his own.

Paul "Mechanic" Domingue
    Maximum 3ds Maximus

Windows 10 is blamed by W8 users, W7 users decry W8 as wonky gadgetware, XP users insist W7 is the spawn of the devil and Windows 2000 users shake heads in despair as the world goes to hell in a handcart. Somewhere out there are the last adherents to Muppet Edition and 98 steadfastly serving their masters and FS 98. 'Twas ever thus and ever shall be.

FSX was rushed to market and the two service packs never really fixed everything as we now know all too well. At least they're still the same bugs we encounter as ever more ambitious add-ons drain the 32-bit memory model to the dregs. Now, about those artefacts I get on final to JFK in an evening thunderstorm...
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Quote Originally Posted by hairyspin View Post
    Windows 10 is blamed by W8 users, W7 users decry W8 as wonky gadgetware, XP users insist W7 is the spawn of the devil and Windows 2000 users shake heads in despair as the world goes to hell in a handcart. Somewhere out there are the last adherents to Muppet Edition and 98 steadfastly serving their masters and FS 98. 'Twas ever thus and ever shall be.
    Mostly.

I remember 2000 was touted as 'bullet proof' ....and yet I could break it at will.
    In the GUI skinning game you could even 'skin' the BSOD ...into any colour or style you liked. You may as well...as you'd see it often enogh you may as well make it 'pretty'.
    "Ultramarine" was the colour of choice....cos that made it "U-SOD" - somewhat apt.

Windows 8 and beyond was Microsoft's FAILED attempt to make a universal OS for all applications/hardware....particularly for the 'Windows Phone' ....and just how well is that now going?...

The dumbing-down and blandness of all things post 7 simply demonstrate that the GUI [specifically] of 7 was the pinnacle of the Windows development for the Desktop user....[what everyone into Flight Simulators is].

The OS Kernel improved admittedly but the general user was and always will be oblivious to that.
    The single most absurd 'requirement' of Win 10 is Forced Updates which can AND DO cause system failures.
    The latest Anniversary Update is the perfect example. Many [if not most] survive the update seemlessly. Those who don't lose data, sanity and access to their computers without resorting to the jumping through hoops to get to Safe Mode [remember 'dumbing down'?].

If [and that's an 'if'] people survive whatever updates surreptitiously are inserted into your system then all is well and good....spiffy, even.

But WHEN it goes to poo you'll go find that baseball bat and beat the living crap out of an OS that thoroughly deserves it...

I have 6 systems....and 4 are on 10. One of those in particular is still a disaster. Edge is unusable, IE is no better, and I've made sure Chrome is the default as it's the most reliable/functioning.
    All are 'Pro' so I'm still avoiding anything 'Anniversary'....until Redmond pulls its finger out of its bum and gets it right - properly.

Blog Entries
    I've never had any problems with W10. I think you need to wipe your disk and do a fresh install and use FSX-SE it performs far better than the boxed edition or, if your computers up to it P3D. There far better than the original FSX, the only drawback is the possibility of OOM's but they have never been that big a problem for me.

Ian

Hi,

I feel sorry for all your troubles.. Well, I don't have really those crashes. I run FSXA on W7, with a 4-year old HP Elitebook 8570w Workstation: 3rd gen i7 with 2.3 GHz, 8GB RAM and a Nvidia Quadro K1000M videocard. I often run Blender next to FSX and it works fine. No crashes at all.. Did have them before, but I downloaded the uiautomationcore thingy and now it runs well. With NL2000 and my own development aircraft.
    dutcheeseblend.blogspot.nl

Living by the grace of our Lord

Quote Originally Posted by Cees Donker View Post
    ...of all the crashes, low framerates and hughe loading times I'm about to give up on this sim.

Cees

I understand it.
    Check DCS.

Sametimes I also need a fresh air without crashes and jumping fps. It's a time to leave FSX and go to DCS World for few weeks/months.

btw. Now I'm returned to P3D but ... v3 and I'm very happy with this new version. Its a very stable sim, good fps (near stable 60) and no any CTD (!!!).
    My FSX stayed on the top high shelf.
    Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

I'm on windows 8.1 and have FSX Acceleration in place with ORBX FTX EU scenery; up until recently everything was running perfectly smoothly, even with some of the larger aircraft like the RL A400M for example. But now, I find that my FSX now, takes a ridiculously long time to load; occasionally freezes and is rather stuttery in the frame rate department.

I thought perhaps, it was to do with a slow internet connection or such like; or even that I had too many aircraft in my sim objects library; failing that, it might have been the recent ORBX SP5 update. But now having read this, I'm wondering if maybe it's to do with FSX as a whole!?

Hopefully a solution or some sort of service pack update will be forth coming and get things working smoothly again?

ChipShop
    'If It Isn't Broken; Then Don't Try To Fix It!'

I believe that the only service pack available for FSX is P3D.
    Regards,
    Nick

What I need more ?

(Hudson river)
    Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

...of all the crashes, low framerates and hughe loading times I'm about to give up on this sim.

Cees
    I gave up on FSX Acc. last year. Constant crashes, OOM, decreasing performance with add ons and loading time made feel more like work than fun. I am using P3D V3.2 on Windows 10 now and I have no problems what so ever. I am enjoying "flight simming" again like I was with FS9 prior to FSX.

i7-4770K 4.4 Ghz - ASUS z87 PRO - Corsair H100i - 16 gig Kingston Beast DDR3 2166 Mhz - Gainward GTX 1070 GS GLH - CX 750M PSU - CoolerMaster HAF X case

SSD + GFX(e.g. 970GTX) + P3D 3.3 will have you smiling again.

As for OS, I had no problems either with Win7 or Win10.

I am running FSX:SE with W10 and no crashes with the exception of the v0.077 of KLN-90B. Downgraded to 0.076 and all works fine again.
    One addon badly coded can be a pain in the ass

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    Running a mid spec computer. I have fsx-se and p3d 2.5. I no longer use fsx because p3d is so much better. I think I have had a total of 3-4 CDT's in the last year. Have not upgraded to 3.3 as I am retired and on limited funds. I usually skip every other updates so am awaiting the 64 bit version of p3d which I hope is on the horizon.

I am running W10 and FXS-SE and have no problems whatsoever. My system is very mediocre but still gives me 30FPS at most times.

I'm sorry you're having so many problems Cees. For what it's worth I've never found much in a vanilla FSX installation (especially SE) to cause problems. When they arose (they did, and still do occasionally...) I usually trace them to excessive frivolous switching of aircraft / locations in one session, or loading this old engine and my hardware beyond what it was conceived to handle - complex aircraft, hi-res skins, real weather, complex scenery, AI traffic etc. That might not be the case for you, but it was for me.

I've never found better advice than in Nick Needham's (in)famous 'bible'. It starts with matching CPU, GPU, memory & motherboard before optimising the OS and only then looking at installing and setting up FSX. It's long-winded, didactic and the tone sucks in places, but followed faithfully it revolutionised my FSX experience.

I also suffer from long loading times but this seems related to Orbx FTX regions, where the loading bar sticks at 6% for up to a minute - this affects P3D too. As several people have noted, P3D is more robust mainly due to improved memory management, but I don't find it magically runs everything better or smoother. This is just my 2p / 2c worth (probably about the same now...).

SOH-CM-2023
    I am running Win XP Pro (FSX Accel and CFS2 on 1 box) on my 2 old Dell tower boxes. Upgraded to a 512 MB video card and 4 GB RAM on each box. I do something else (sometimes cook dinner !!!) waiting for it to load and it does have the occasional crash. But I pick the plane, time, departure and destination when it's ready and it just cruises right along -- about 98% of the time. Sometimes, textures are slow to load as I change views but it gets there in a few seconds.

I do keep my addon scenery levels down. I have replaced the stock textures for sun, moon, water, night, etc., etc. with better aftermarket files. And StormILM had excellent advice in stopping processes before starting FSX. I use a utility called "EndItAll2" (which can be found on the internet) and my own batch file to stop unnecessary XP services.

For the money I put into it over the past 10 years, it has given me cheap, cheap fun and it still running fine. Every 2 years, I pull the boxes and vacuum the interiors to get the dust out of them and the fans.

These boxes are going to outlast me.

Quote Originally Posted by marijn View Post
    I am running W10 and FXS-SE and have no problems whatsoever. My system is very mediocre but still gives me 30FPS at most times.
    Ditto here
    When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading.
    Henny Youngman

Windows 10 has its quirks, as does FSXSE but as the old saying goes: Adapt or go extinct.

Quite disappointed that MS axed the inofficial W10 support for the Nokia 925. Would have loved to try it, if only to check if some irritating Windows Phone 8.1 bugs are gone. Now I have to look for a sub-300€ Android device with regular OS support and a good camera. *Groan*

In reading this thread over and over, I find it a little confusing. Cees original post was about the sim, and yet everyone is focusing on their setup or OS.

Perhaps if we knew more about what hardware and OS Cees is running, we might have some insight as to why he's experiencing problems with the sim.

What ya' think?
    -- WH

If at first you don't succeed, try, try,try again. ... or go read the manual.

Cees
    FS9 mate, FS9!! LOL.

Joking aside, I have the latest and greatest setup bar the GPU (pending) and I still find FSX disappointing performance wise. I'm gonna run FS9 and X-SE for a while and see how they pan out. This is about enjoyment, right? I'll fly what gives me that. Just tried a couple of things I grabbed on steam on sale, not convinced by them. Il2 1946 and Wings of Prey, look okay, but not quite there.

Jamie

SOH-CM-2023
    Quote Originally Posted by WarHorse47 View Post
    In reading this thread over and over, I find it a little confusing. Cees original post was about the sim, and yet everyone is focusing on their setup or OS.

Perhaps if we knew more about what hardware and OS Cees is running, we might have some insight as to why he's experiencing problems with the sim.

What ya' think?
    Reading Cees' original post, it is only quite natural that others will elaborate their own experiences with the (FSX) sim, their adaptation to it and fixes, if any, they have found that helped. If one is frustrated (head pounding against wall icon), there are only 3 things one can do -- give it up, accept it for what it is or find some accommodation to relieve or eliminate the frustration. As I stated, I do something else while the "graveyard" loading process is underway.

Or, perhaps since we ALL know that FSX-in-a-box is frustrating, let's just stop re-inventing that wheel in the future.

Members who have read this thread: 0