FSX CV-580...are there any plans out there for a native

Thread: FSX CV-580...are there any plans out there for a native

FSX CV-580...are there any plans out there for a native

Heya fella's , I have been LOVING Manfred's C-47 and especially the C-117 which is my goto these days,..but I am longing for a native Convair CV-580, I guess she is a little less popular but still a very cool machine. Down here in NZ we still have a few running around with Air Chathams and Air Freight NZ ,...I reckon it would be pretty popular to FSX's and P3D guys...a powerful work horse ..and a great looking aircraft !. Love to see one come from Mr Jahn she would be spectacular !. Greg Peppers old Cv-580 was cool for its day but the nose , cockpit area and nose gear are nothing like the real machine...in saying that I have enjoyed flying her and still do and thank him for a great effort (and its free)...I have made a few models for flightsim in the form of P-3Orions ,C-130's a Seasprite and NH-90 so understand how much effort goes into it...I just dont have the time anymore to relearn the modern tools to do it FSDS just doesnt cut the mustard anymore so I will leave it to the clever guys who have mastered the new tools !.

Hi ya Adrian, that would be a superb aircraft, before heading out to work, the 'PIONAIR/TANUK' 580's flying out off Wigram, they were impressive to see, I'd have to have a look and see if there are anymore Convair's based in Christchurch to really spend time getting cockpit photos for a start and simply the entire aircraft details such gear and and major features ... that would be a goody tho a Convair 580.

Quote Originally Posted by Portia911 View Post
    Presume you chaps know about this already (?)
    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...t=Bjoern+Cv580
    hah yes ,..that is a very slightly modified Greg Pepper model,...no change to anything really other than a couple other variants and i think maybe slightly smoothed the nose structure..

Bjoern made some major improvements to the CV-580, not just minor tweaks. His model improvements included opening doors on three different versions; passenger, cargo, and fire tanker. The above link takes you to his thread where he was working on a vastly improved version, but I do not think he ever completed it. I asked if he would work on the piston powered Convairliners, but at the time he had no interest in piston powered aircraft. With his work on improving the stock FSX DC-3 and his involvement with the Manfred Jahn C-47 version 3, I wonder if he might change his mind?
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Blender is the future in terms of free modeling tools for FSX/P3D, so give it a try. Or enjoy the converted CV-580 model for another 3500000 years.

Quote Originally Posted by stansdds View Post
    his involvement with the Manfred Jahn C-47 version 3
    Not involved in any way whatsoever. I'd donate a few XML bits from my awful DC-3 if necessary though.

Quote Originally Posted by Bjoern View Post
    Blender is the future in terms of free modeling tools for FSX/P3D, so give it a try. Or enjoy the converted CV-580 model for another 3500000 years.

Not involved in any way whatsoever. I'd donate a few XML bits from my awful DC-3 if necessary though.
    Oops, my bad! I was thinking that you were, at least in some way, involved with that project.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Quote Originally Posted by stansdds View Post
    Oops, my bad! I was thinking that you were, at least in some way, involved with that project.
    If trying to keep some flightsimmer's impatience and excitement in check made me part of a development effort, I'd be mentioned in a lot more manuals.

Gidday Bjoern , there was absolutely no disrespect intended , like I said in my first post I have produced models myself so understand the amount of hours that go into our models,...and with your conversion of the CV-580 it would only take a few quick minor adjustments to make her pretty damn close,..nose gear needs moving a tiny bit forward and its wheels made larger,..and the nose needs a little fattening up and cockpit windows reduced in size..not much really the rest of her is about right...I would be interested to try Blender...what is its learning curve like ?...tried Gmax but couldnt get my head around it after using FSDS for many years...

http://cdn.airplane-pictures.net/ima...11/23/8097.jpg
    Last edited by brausch; August 14th, 2016 at 22:01. Reason: missed a bit lol

Blender is different to FSDS.

You'd also have to start from scratch since Greg's model was made in GMax and I've ported it to 3ds Max 9. No way to get those files into Blender without losing animations, mouse rectangles, etc...

But as the saying goes: No mountain's too high if you really want something.

Quote Originally Posted by brausch View Post
    hah yes ,..that is a very slightly modified Greg Pepper model,...no change to anything really other than a couple other variants and i think maybe slightly smoothed the nose structure..
    Actually no I hadn't read the entire thread,..I saw the Greg Pepper model and very mistakenly made a presumption,..I had not seen Bjoern's completely remade model where the nose looks bang on,..new VC remodelling,..I have Bjoern's remade Greg Pepper model but the one I see in that thread has by the looks of been binned ??...it looks amazing. I humbly apologise I made a blundering statement and am quite embarrassed ...please both you and Bjoern accept my apologies...

If you manage to grab a copy of 3ds Max 9 or newer, you can have the source files and finish it. I have no more interest in finishing it for the forseeable future.

That is very kind indeed of you Bjeorn , I will happily take up that challenge ,..with my work and band it may take a while though but il give it a crack !!. Thankyou sir

Members who have read this thread: 0