The C-5M "Super Galaxy"

Thread: The C-5M "Super Galaxy"

Lightbulb The C-5M "Super Galaxy"

Well...we finally got one here....
    Man I'm going to miss the old sound...but all the pilots that I've talked to love it!

my dad still doesnt...ok didnt believe me when i would tell him they would be now C-5M...and that the C-5A was pretty much gone.

????? I do not understand?

There is new payware add on plane for C-5M Super Galaxy?? If so, where? I have payware AREA 51 C-5M but would buy another one if the other software's Galaxy is better

SOH-CM-2023
    Quote Originally Posted by Daveroo View Post
    would be now C-5M...and that the C-5A was pretty much gone.
    Makes one think...I worked on the design of parts of the C5A wing in the UK back in '66/67.........
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Aharon View Post
    ????? I do not understand?

There is new payware add on plane for C-5M Super Galaxy?? If so, where? I have payware AREA 51 C-5M but would buy another one if the other software's Galaxy is better
    Aharon, Mr Panther resides at Lackland AFB if the ICAO code for his home field is correct, he's referring to real world aviation

ttfn

Pete

RAF Ret'd

Quote Originally Posted by Motormouse View Post
    Aharon, Mr Panther resides at Lackland AFB if the ICAO code for his home field is correct, he's referring to real world aviation

ttfn

Pete

RAF Ret'd

Yeppers!

Quote Originally Posted by Panther_99FS View Post

Yeppers!
    My parents and grandparents worked for Lockheed Georgia Company and I remember being about 9 years old and sitting on the hill one hot as hell June day in about 1968 watching the very first C-5A flight. Sucker taxiied out and promptly had about 3 simultaneous tire blowouts while taxiing. Took them 2 hours (in the heat) to change the tires and then it flew. Was a MASSIVE beast. I still remember both the flight and the heat.

Lockheed company video does not mention that little fact... My grandmother was the personal secretary to Dan Haughton (Lockheed CEO at the time).
    https://youtu.be/E-ujReXknxY

I vividly recall the C-124's sitting on the ANG ramp at Dobbins AFB you can see about the 3:17 mark in the video.

Coastie Dolphins/Spartans CG_1976's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Panther_99FS View Post
    Well...we finally got one here....
    Man I'm going to miss the old sound...but all the pilots that I've talked to love it!

I thought I saw a C5 flying near the Medical Dist on Approach yesterday on my way Home. Couldn't tell the type of C5 although. Thanks P.

AMD FX 8-Core Black 4.2Ghz, 8G Ram 2TB HD, W8.1 pending W10, ATI R5 2G X2 Crossfire
    http://www.canadianarcticfse.com/

Icon2

Quote Originally Posted by CG_1976 View Post
    I thought I saw a C5 flying near the Medical Dist on Approach yesterday on my way Home. Couldn't tell the type of C5 although. Thanks P.

It flew pro today for a few hours....

normally you can hear that whine and know what it is/was..so does it have a "generic" sound to it now?...ive always wondered ,with that distinctive sound that it would be a big target in a hostile area..would it not?

yeah ya might say they wont be in those area's,but i remember reading an article in a airplane related magazine years back about how they flew in and out of the big airport in Baghdad and would come under fire,think i even saw a show about it.C-17s,C5's and C-130s .

Hey Dave.
    Ever been to Travis AFB?
    A few years ago, L and I were heading west on highway 12 to Suisun City and low and behold they were doing C 5 touch and goes. That distinctive whine!
    There is no other sound like it when their a couple of hundred feet over your car. Almost broke my neck trying to get a good look. L made me pull over. I'm sure they
    were empty, as those beasts are very agile for thieir size!
    Best airshow/rock concert ever!
    First flight game/sim...Atari 8 bit USAFF text based WWII bombing game!
    i7 6700k @ 4.675 ghz | Asus Maximus VIII Formula Mother Board | 500 gig Samsung EVO 950 M.2 for OS | Crucial 500 gig SSD dedicated to P3D | 16 gigs Corsair Dominator DDR4@3200 | Corsair H115i AIO 280mm | GTX Asus Strix 1080 GPU | 4K 49" LG Monitor | Windows 10 64 bit

hey rock,yes i have,years ago we took my 55 chevy down there to a car show,thats where i got to talkin to a airforce security officer,and asked if the plane i was seeing over yonder was a B29?..he said yes,wanna see it?..so dad and i,long with my sister and her slug of a husband (not Randy) and the cop all piled into his little chevy patrol car and he took us for a close up view...ill see if i can find those pics...was pre computer days for me..and pre digital ofcourse...lol.

Motormouse,

Ahhh thanks for explanation. I thought everybody was talking about new payware add on C-5M Galaxy by another software company. LOL

Regards,

Aharon

Quote Originally Posted by Daveroo View Post
    hey rock,yes i have,years ago we took my 55 chevy down there to a car show,thats where i got to talkin to a airforce security officer,and asked if the plane i was seeing over yonder was a B29?..he said yes,wanna see it?..so dad and i,long with my sister and her slug of a husband (not Randy) and the cop all piled into his little chevy patrol car and he took us for a close up view...ill see if i can find those pics...was pre computer days for me..and pre digital ofcourse...lol.
    Would love to see those pictues Dave!!!
    Best airshow/rock concert ever!
    First flight game/sim...Atari 8 bit USAFF text based WWII bombing game!
    i7 6700k @ 4.675 ghz | Asus Maximus VIII Formula Mother Board | 500 gig Samsung EVO 950 M.2 for OS | Crucial 500 gig SSD dedicated to P3D | 16 gigs Corsair Dominator DDR4@3200 | Corsair H115i AIO 280mm | GTX Asus Strix 1080 GPU | 4K 49" LG Monitor | Windows 10 64 bit

Icon9

Quote Originally Posted by RockStarofRust View Post
    Hey Dave.
    Ever been to Travis AFB?
    A few years ago, L and I were heading west on highway 12 to Suisun City and low and behold they were doing C 5 touch and goes. That distinctive whine!
    There is no other sound like it when their a couple of hundred feet over your car. Almost broke my neck trying to get a good look. L made me pull over. I'm sure they
    were empty, as those beasts are very agile for thieir size!
    And with the "M" model, that distinctive whine is gone forever....:-(

In 1970-72 I was stationed at Kadena AFB, Okinawa, where we had F-4E Phantoms, B-52s, C-141s and C-5s, would have been A models then. Oh, we also had about a half dozen SR-71s. Our barracks was close to the flightline, and it was very easy to tell what kind of plane was landing / taking off by their distinctive sound. We would often go up on the roof to watch the action. I worked in the bomb dump, which was on the other side of the base, and across the road in the hills. We would pass behind the aircraft as they did their run ups during pre-take off, and then the take off run. I remember nearly getting blown off my motorcycle from a C-5. They closed the road when the SR-71s did their run-ups and take offs. They would scorch anything on the road. Some of the best times I had there.
    Don H

AMD Ryzen 5 7600X
    MSI MAG B650 Tomahawk WIFI/BT
    64GB Corsair Vengeance 6000MHz DDR5 C40 (4x16)
    Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX7900XT 20GB DDR6
    Corsair 5000D Airflow Case
    Corsair RM850x 80+ GOLD P/S
    Liquid Freezer II 360 water cooling
    C:/ WD Black 4TB SN770 Gen 4 NVMe M.2 SSD
    D:/ Crucial P3 PLUS 4TB Gen 4 NVMe M.2 SSD
    Samsung 32" Curved Monitor
    Honeycomb and Saitek Flight Equipment

I remember that whine very well. When I was in AF basic back in 1985, there was some sort of Depot level TCTO being done on them at Kelly. So there were C-5's flying over Lackland all day and night. It was cool at first, but it got old after the first week - especially since "lights out" was before dark, so it was hard enough to get to sleep without that drone every ten minutes...
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

We get the Kelly C-5's up here at GRK a lot for low approaches and touch n goes, having a 10,000' runway helps. Saw my first "M" last week with a Dover C-5 coming in. Glad the AF has upgraded them finally, spent an extra 2 weeks in Balad, Iraq years ago waiting on always broke C-5's to come pick us up.
    Fly Navy/Army
    USN SAR
    DUSTOFF/ARMY PROPS

Lightbulb

Okay...so now that I've been working right next to the flight line for a few months....
    This plane is SERIOUSLY QUIET!!!!! - In a way that I can't explain...almost silent!

Been living close to the Fort Worth Naval Air Station Joint Reserve Base for 5 years. Just about once a month, I see a C-5 in the pattern. Hard plane to miss.

I loved the sound of C-5s taking off. Not so much a whine as a low pitched growl... 747s have the same sound. Pretty cool.
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

Members who have read this thread: 0