HMS Bounty Work Boat - The Launch - Page 2
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: HMS Bounty Work Boat - The Launch

Quote Originally Posted by Penzoil3 View Post
    Found the trilogy at Project Gutenberg Australia. http://gutenberg.net.au/plusfifty-n-z.html.
    Free e-books...
    Looking forward to this nice addition to the beautiful Bounty !
    Sue
    Just downloaded and I see I read these as a boy of about 12 ... Will be great to delve back in time!

Quote Originally Posted by Sascha66 View Post
    Just downloaded and I see I read these as a boy of about 12 ... Will be great to delve back in time!
    Just completed the first book, Men Against the Sea; great read, and highly recommended. It gave me a whole new respect for Captain Bligh, the men and the Launch.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

Sailing qualities..

With the launch sailing qualities some what different from that of the Bounty, can you tell us how you think that
    will be approached and implemented..? I can appreciate that this is undiscovered territory (I think) and would enjoy
    the logic behind it.

Quote Originally Posted by Seahawk72s View Post
    With the launch sailing qualities some what different from that of the Bounty, can you tell us how you think that
    will be approached and implemented..? I can appreciate that this is undiscovered territory (I think) and would enjoy
    the logic behind it.
    The logic is of course complicated, at least to me.

Rob Barendregt programmed the Bounty logic to get the responses we wanted based on wind direction and speed with respect to ship direction and speed, and number of (and which) sails deployed, and angle of sails to the wind. Each of the sails contribute to a reaction of the ship to yaw, roll, and speed.

There are other factors, responses, and limits built into the logic as well, too many to recall without getting back into it.

If you have some specific response differences you think should be considered, lay them out here.

Right now, I am simply using the Bounty logic but will be adjusting it to allow for a lighter weight, smaller vessel.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Quote Originally Posted by Milton Shupe View Post
    The logic is of course complicated, at least to me.

Rob Barendregt programmed the Bounty logic to get the responses we wanted based on wind direction and speed with respect to ship direction and speed, and number of (and which) sails deployed, and angle of sails to the wind. Each of the sails contribute to a reaction of the ship to yaw, roll, and speed.

There are other factors, responses, and limits built into the logic as well, too many to recall without getting back into it.

If you have some specific response differences you think should be considered, lay them out here.

Right now, I am simply using the Bounty logic but will be adjusting it to allow for a lighter weight, smaller vessel.

Thankyou to Rob for his hard work. Understanding a little of the logic factors gives an even greater appreciation when sailing her.

I was thinking that with the fore and aft launch sail layout she would be more maneuverable, sail closer to the wind, and able to tack when needed.

Thankyou to Rob for his hard work. Understanding a little of the logic factors gives an even greater appreciation when sailing her.

I was thinking that with the fore and aft launch sail layout she would be more maneuverable, sail closer to the wind, and able to tack when needed.
    The Launch will do this already. She has no problems tacking through.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Paint variations

I realize this question is a bit late but I'm wondering what leeway there will be in being able to paint different variations?
    I addition to different hull textures, seats, thwarts, fore deck, masts, etc?

I realize this question is a bit late but I'm wondering what leeway there will be in being able to paint different variations?
    I addition to different hull textures, seats, thwarts, fore deck, masts, etc?
    You can paint her any way you like. She's mapped just like any aircraft. Nigel will likely provide a paint kit.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Charter Member 2012 nigel richards's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    You can paint her any way you like. She's mapped just like any aircraft. Nigel will likely provide a paint kit.
    Yes, a fully layered paintkit will be available following completion. The options for both wooden and painted finishes will be provided.

Right now, we're 'building in' some generic light/shading/cast shadows for Extra depth. :-)

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -2016-aug-23-002.jpg   -2016-aug-23-007.jpg   -2016-aug-23-005.jpg  
    Most men often say what they think!
    An honest man usually means what he says!
    A gentleman always says what he means!

"Αίεν Υψικρατείν "

A fool is not he who asks a simple question, but he who would simply have its asking denied. (Richards 2012)

Compass

I imagine in the VC one will be sitting on either one side or the other of the stern with the tiller in the opposite hand..?
    Would it be possible to incorporate an additional box compass on the floor boards or just in front of the helmsmans to increase the realism..?
    A school I worked at had a similar setup for its boats.

That is one thing I miss with the Bounty, that there is no binnacle in the VC.

I imagine in the VC one will be sitting on either one side or the other of the stern with the tiller in the opposite hand..?
    Would it be possible to incorporate an additional box compass on the floor boards or just in front of the helmsmans to increase the realism..?
    A school I worked at had a similar setup for its boats.

That is one thing I miss with the Bounty, that there is no binnacle in the VC.
    Surely possible and will do.

The Bounty has a binnacle, just no compass in it. Not sure why I did not do that other than it is so hard to see clearly.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HOMEUNIT-2016-aug-25-003.jpg  
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Surely possible and will do.

The Bounty has a binnacle, just no compass in it. Not sure why I did not do that other than it is so hard to see clearly.

I'd never seen a binnacle that was enclosed within a cabinet.

I'd never seen a binnacle that was enclosed within a cabinet.
    Here are 2 drawings for the Bounty.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HOMEUNIT-2014-sep-6-008.jpg   HOMEUNIT-2014-sep-6-010.jpg  
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Here are 2 drawings for the Bounty.
    Did they give a description of the lamp unit..? Oil I assume.
    Something with mirrors..?

Milton it is great that the two paint kits are being released for the Bounty and the launch but when will we get the launch itself.

Cheers Chris

Quote Originally Posted by speedy70 View Post
    Milton it is great that the two paint kits are being released for the Bounty and the launch but when will we get the launch itself.

Cheers Chris
    Chris, the Launch is in the paint shop as we speak. Nigel is out of touch except on the weekends so we should likely hear a status Saturday.
    Once we have textures, I will release her in beta test.
    The paint kit should be ready shortly after release.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Did they give a description of the lamp unit..? Oil I assume.
    Something with mirrors..?
    Yes, I do. Did you ever download the manual?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails binnacle.jpg  
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Thanks Milton, great news.I am really looking forward to the release of the launch so that I can copy that fantastic voyage( going to bed and eating etc between times)I aint no Bligh!!!!!

Cheers Chris

Quote Originally Posted by speedy70 View Post
    Thanks Milton, great news.I am really looking forward to the release of the launch so that I can copy that fantastic voyage( going to bed and eating etc between times)I aint no Bligh!!!!!

Cheers Chris
    LOL Chris. I just wish we had nice big storm seas to make it as challenging although 43 days at sea on a starvation diet was challenge enough.

If you have not read "Men Against the Sea" available at the link above, you really should.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Launch VC compass..

Something like this..?

Something like this..?
    That looks great SH; it'll make a nice popup panel. :-)

Are they typically on a standalone mount, on the seat, or floorboards?
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

That looks great SH; it'll make a nice popup panel. :-)

Are they typically on a standalone mount, on the seat, or floorboards?

If there was a seat in front of the helmsman that would be the best location. Four wooden strips would be tacked to the seat so that the compass box
    could be placed and not move around as well as be positioned center line to the keel. A good spot for also keeping it dry from bilge water.

If no seat, on the floorboards in front of the helmsman's feet, center line above the keel with the same wooden strips for mounting.

Wind Arrow

With the launch sailing off the wind and not so much before, a change of the wind arrow to indicate a head facing position..?

With the launch sailing off the wind and not so much before, a change of the wind arrow to indicate a head facing position..?
    SH, the original was designed to show how the wind was hitting the sails (that was important to me as I was learning the mechanics of how all this should work). But, I can see where a head indicator might be less confusing too. Will take under consideration. Thanks
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

C'mon Nigel.I had my sandwiches all ready for my epic voyage in the launch and now they have all curled up at the edges.

Cheers Chris

Members who have read this thread: 0