Very interesting free 3d airplane model sources
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Very interesting free 3d airplane model sources

Very interesting free 3d airplane model sources

hi to all fightsimmers,
    yesterday when searching some stuff for my CFS3 german ramjet project, Ive just found accidentally a very nice site with 3d models for download, even no registartion is needed

its www.cadnav.com

it says: "You can free download this 3d-objects for 3D modeling software and use it for your 3D visualisation works, 3D interactive design, simulation and rendering."
    it seems allmost all are 3ds max sources, including textures, but I personally didnt tried it sofar.

a few of the original site images attached bellow, links here:

Messerschmitt Me 163B
    Messerschmitt Me 163B (two seater)
    Lippisch P.13a
    Horten Ho 229
    Heinkel He 162

did anybody tried this stuff already? I think they could look great at CFS3...
    the way would be to load this into 3ds max -> export it into 3ds -> import 3ds into gmax, I suppose.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1-131126133139A0.jpg   1-13112623050TH.jpg   1-131125222FWc.jpg   1-13112H10515c4.jpg   1-13112F01423S4.jpg  

All of those are part of a much bigger package called De Espona model library or something like that. From what I gathered, they do look ok but in reality are a bit of a mess. Most importantly they're not freeware!!
    Luca

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by SixGhost View Post
    ... Most importantly they're not freeware!!
    Please clarify. Many models state the following:

License: Free (Personal and Commercial)
    Free download this 3d objects and put it into your scene, use it for 3d visualization project, computer and video games, 3d simulation and rendering, and other field related to 3D design.

I know, downloading software for free isn't the same as getting access / using it for free. And I haven't tried downloading any model to check as I haven't got Max. But still, there are some models I wouldn't mind fiddeling with... Especially stuff for which good reference material is scarce .

ACC Member, ETO and PTO contributor & librarian

I had a look at the Mossie on that site. I use Max 2008 and got a notice that the model was built in an earlier Max version, so no compatibility worries here. Download is free.

There are no animations and the objects would need some reorganising such as splitting off the wings and stabilisers. There looks like a fair bit of work to turn it into a working CFS3 model. What I dislike about it is the use of Groups in the model - not my preferred method of organising a hierarchy - and it's in editable mesh, not poly. Quite a respectable poly count too – 145,746 – so a bit of trimming is in order. The cockpit is roughed out, so a VC shouldn't be as much work as usual.

The big obstacle is the mapping ... ewww ... which will have to be redone. Entirely. Whoopee.
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

As I said Frosty, those models are part of a big collection of 3d models that were previously sold for hundreds of $. Here you can find the complete catalog: http://www.tingfong.com.tw/CATALOG/3...dia/banco.html

It seems this so called encyclopedia is no longer for sale, at least I did not find it while surfing around, but I know it was. Something tells me it didn't turn freeware because a random site over the internet says so...
    Luca

thanks for the research, guys
    well, who knows, maybe the original 3d payware library really just turned into a free stuff, otherwise I wonder the cadnav site would still work. didnt AlphaSim released public such free downloadable stuff by past, for example? ok, it was about a much lowpoly models...

anyway, I took some time to download some of the stuff, eg. the Heinkel, Lippisch or Gotha files and I was able to open it.
    yeah, it would need some work to make it properly for flightsim games, but its doable
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3dsmax_wire.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by SixGhost View Post
    As I said Frosty, those models are part of a big collection of 3d models that were previously sold for hundreds of $. Here you can find the complete catalog: http://www.tingfong.com.tw/CATALOG/3...dia/banco.html

It seems this so called encyclopedia is no longer for sale, at least I did not find it while surfing around, but I know it was. Something tells me it didn't turn freeware because a random site over the internet says so...
    Ah, it's like that - didn't understand what you meant by the models being part of a collection other than hosted on that site! (and I see your point). Pirated or released to the public?

Of course I can't tell if it's worth using some of these models as a basis - some of them appear rather cartoonish - but I sure would like a gmax conversion of the BV 138, the Mavis, the B-29, the low-poly C-47 (large formations!), and the Rufe, for starters... Well, most of the WW2 AC actually - but only the 'decent' ones . There appear to be more than one version of some aircraft.

If it is just a matter of importing into Max and exporting as a gmax-readable file, maybe some kind soul with access to Max is willing to spend some time and enrich the community with some new sandbox files... [He typed while crossing his fingers...]

Which ones would you like, Joost?
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

mentioning the low poly models, it seems the cadnav site use a lot of the available 3DS files are just a lowpoly version of its higher poly MAX models / scenes

anyway with some kind of proper mesh edit tools shouldnt be so hard to increase / decrease the polygonal mesh, if really needed. still, it isnt a job for lazy people meaning a modding is a simple "convert and go" event

Quote Originally Posted by hairyspin View Post
    Which ones would you like, Joost?
    All the (decent) WW2 models, lol!

No, seriously, the ones I mentioned and/or those we don't have in CFS3 yet.
    A number of gmax files that give the community or an aspiring modeller a decent start or something to play around with may sometimes be better than starting from scratch. Of course, you won't learn the difficult stuff this way but it's also possible to turn it into a community project and let all participants do what they are good at. I know I have tried modelling AC but I seem to suck at modelling that aerodynamic flow that sets AC apart from buildings and other airfield stuff. But I did succeed in animating a cockpit for a vehicle and a tricycle landing gear... So there is hope!
    (Well, I hope you catch my drift)

ok, I took some time to bother with the He 162 quick test conversion.

well, the Volkjsager 3d model seemed to me usable polygonal count at first look, but Ive had to delete a wheel spring mesh at least, to keep the CFS3 m3d export file limits.
    another thing is Ive had to resize the original textures to be a power of 2. but this was expectable. then the quick export into CFS3 was success.

Ive merged the airplane with my own low poly Komet pilot figure, just to check / correct the airlpane size, this needed a small 3d model rescaling. but this was expectable aswell.

ok, a first blood image attached bellow. its my default game install without any graphical settings patches, running in a windows mode - to be able to better shut it down, when the ingame testing freezes some better image may come later - maybe with wiekniera help

note: as hairyspin already said, to get it all right for CFS3 would need a lot of "hand" work, of course

anyway, I could put the gmax project there for anybody who would like to test it / mod it.

A fair number of models are available in .3ds format too, so Gmax users can hopefully import them without hoohah. Some of the .max models are built in Max 2010 so I can't open these in my version.
    Tom

ok, the missing image set for the post #11
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cfs3_he162_03.jpg   cfs3_he162_02.jpg   cfs3_he162_01.png  

Really great, to see you got one of these models in game, but it's just getting someone to put in all the hard graft now to get it up to CFS3 standard, that's the really hard part! Speaking as a skinner, it's getting a good texture map done too, if it's pain in the ass to paint, interest is lost pretty quick IMO!

Good stuff though Borek!
    John
    (DR/ MAW/ ETO/ PTO Textures)

Keep it coming!

There is an He-162 at Jerry Beckwith's Mudpond site + the one from Alphasim? Firepower has a Go-229 and I have the GMAX files for a mostly complete Go-229 from Dancat if anyone is interested in working on it.

yes, I have both the free downloadable He 162 planes for CFS3 and they both are nice I would say... still we could have a bit better stuff now

btw, the AlphaSims version is wrong proportions / scale. its a lot bigger model comparing to the real airplane. it really doesnt look like a "Spatz" (small birdy). I didnt expected such "bug" from profi makers... looks like a unit conversion problem.
    the He-162 model by Jerry Beckwith is good scale and could look pretty good with a bit detailed skin paint.

note: the He 162 Volksjager (also aka Spatz or Salamander) just belongs to my old "wish to do one day" airplane add-on and I even started with this plane a lot years back when learning modding FS98 and the later sims. but it was just a small test, never finished project.

now is just appearing a question, if to bother with the currently available CADnav model somehow deeper, or if to just create the model from scratch. anyway once the He 162A version would be done, the B, C, D or such versions could come...

Last edited by BorekS; August 8th, 2016 at 02:38.

Absolutely! A newer and more detailed model is always welcome. I guess I was just stating the obvious for those unaware.

In case you are looking for some exotic weapons to put on that He-162:

I see, a rocket launcher system... very interesting

yeah, the He 162 for CFS3... well, I didnt made any decent progress on the CFS3 airplane. I think I will share public the initial gmax test port including the CFS3 airplane slot and will turn to the Hs 132.

EF-132 is interesting as well boreks and looks match with HS-132A/B...

Sulphur,South West Louisiana in the good'ol USA
    Blog Entries
    A awesome aircraft !! A great addition to CFS3. All i can say is WOW !!

a very nice big birdy, indeed

btw the Junkers EF-132 canopy reminds me very another german jet bomber project, the Heinkel He 343... which was designed by the jet bomber Arado Ar 234 beauty infact

all the mentioned above looks decent shape to me, not this I can say about Junkers Ju 287

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the link. Some on the wish list are : Do 24,Fw 189, H6K Mavis, BV 138,Me 262 night fighter. Number one would be the Me262 night fighter. What freeware tools do i need to covert these to CFS3? This would be a first for me.

Quote Originally Posted by sixstrings5859 View Post
    What freeware tools do i need to covert these to CFS3?
    Only the .3ds format models can be set up for CFS3 with Gmax (a lot of work). The .max format models need 3ds Max which is expensiveware.
    Tom

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the info . Guess i can start researching . Have a lot of time to spare so this might turn into a new hobby.

Members who have read this thread: 1