C-47 V3 Attitude Indicator Adjustment

Thread: C-47 V3 Attitude Indicator Adjustment

C-47 V3 Attitude Indicator Adjustment

What is the technique for adjusting the C-47 v3 attitude indicator so it indicates correct pitch? According to the aircraft.cfg file, the static pitch of the aircraft is 11.1 degrees, but since there is no scale on the attitude indicator, I don't see how to make good use of this value. You could adjust the attitude indicator to indicate zero pitch when in level flight according to the altimeter, but the aircraft pitch may not be zero given the flight conditions ( speed, flaps, etc). So what technique did C-47 aircrews use? Was there a specified procedure, or was setting the pitch to zero in level flight 'close enough'?
    Thx,
    Al

You adjust while in flight. It makes absolutely no difference what your attitude is relative to the plane of the surface of the ground, nor even the plane of the longitudinal axis of the plane. All that matters is level flight. The indicator exists to help you maintain level flight, particularly in IFR conditions, not some relation to the ground or any axis, both of which are irrelevant to flying.

So adjust the indicator to show zero pitch in level flight, and readjust as necessary as your flight profile changes.

SOH-CM-2023
    I've not come across an adjuster for trimming the attitude indicator. I think its fixed and aligned to the instrument panel which is normally at right angle to the fuselage datum. What might be specified though is the angle between each mark according to each aircraft type, & also the wing incidence is normally chosen so the fuselage datum is horizontal in level cruise.
    Anyone out there seen an AI with an adjuster?
    Keith

Icon26

Page six in the new C-47 manual. The adjuster knob is clearly pointed to.

Are we talking about this...

It is adjustable with that knob.

cheers,
    Lane
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Capture-2a.jpg  

Yes, that's the knob, as shown in the manual. Sorry, but for the life of me, I can't figure out why anyone would take a picture and post it here to ask a question the manual clearly answers. Particularly since, to take the picture, you had to be in the cockpit and apparently, from the pics, turned the knob to adjust the indicator for these pics!

It's a good manual. As Trump would say, "Believe me." Worth a read.

Members who have read this thread: 0