It almost happened.. the RAF Tiger Force

Thread: It almost happened.. the RAF Tiger Force

It almost happened.. the RAF Tiger Force

I have been reading a lot about the Lancaster and the direct descendant, the Lincoln, lately and a rather interesting side story of these two bombers is the RAF Bomber Command’s planned “Very Long Range bomber force”, better known as the Tiger Force. From 1943 Britain started to look at which contribution the RAF could do in the coming end fight with Japan after the victory over Japan. And beside the carrier force of the British Pacific Fleet, the VLR bomber force was to be an essential part.
    In 43 and 44 it looked like the only way of reaching Japan with bombers from airfileds in Burma, china, Formosa, the Philippines and the Marianas. At the time most of these options were still under Japanese control.

Britain planed on sending Avro Lancasters and Lincoln, but even the later did not have the range for conducting bombing operations over the Japanese mainland. Therefor Britain became an early inventor of practical use of inflight refueling. The method was crude compared to today and was based on the technic pioneered by the flying boats before the war. The plan was for half of the bombers to act as tankers. The RAF was skeptical about how feasible it would be with large scale inflight refueling of bomber formation and it was also done several tests with higher all up weight and therefor more fuel on the bombers. It would have made take offs particular difficult as the aircraft would be at the very edge of their limits. But when the US amphibious war machine cranked up its speed, bases much closer on islands seemed a much better solution and both solutions went out of favor. In the end Okinawa was taken and would have been the perfect base for the VLR bomber force which suddenly did not need very long range to reach Japan..

Tiger Force was officially formed in early 1945. The order of battle included 2 large groups, 5th and 6th (RCAF) with 18 heavy bomber and 2 Mosquito squadrons. The American commanders in the Pacific were keen on getting a very heavy bomb capability and part of No 5 Group was the Special Missions Wing which included No 9 and 617 Sqn’s with Lancaster’s B.I Specials which could drop the Tallboy and Grand slam bombs.
    As we know, even if the equipment were already sent by convoys to the pacific and the squadrons were under intensive training in the UK for making Tiger Force ready for operations against Japan, the 2 US nuclear bombs brought the 2 world war to an end much sooner than anticipated. Even how horrific these two bombs were, the alternative with around the clock bombardment of large armadas od US and British heavy bombers and then a full scale invasion would probably have reached an apocalyptic level of death and horror.

Tiger Force was disbanded in September 1945. What did survive were the specially modified Lancaster FE (Far East) and of course the Lincoln. Both aircraft also continued to use the specially adopted tropical scheme of white top and sides with a black underside into the post war years. The white was for trying and keep the aircraft colder during the day.

The Avro Lincoln might not have been as sophisticated as the B-29, but it was more of an natural evolution of Lancaster. It had more power, longer range with a heavier bomb load and most important a considerable improvements in cruising speed and climb speed. The armament was also much heavier with .50 cals in nose and tail turret and twin 20mm Hispano canons in the dorsal turret. The tail turret could also (as the late build Lancaster) be equipped with the Automatic Gun-Laying Turret (AGLT) radar system which allowed a target to be tracked and fired-on in total darkness, the target's range being accurately computed as well as allowing for lead and bullet drop. It was a rather advanced system for its time. The H2S navigation and bombing radar was also improved, albeit I think the first Lincolns had the same set as the late build Lancasters.

So I have done a few paints on how the Tiger force aircraft might have looked if they had been sent to the pacific. Just like the US, British aircraft did use a roundel without red in the campaign against Japan. The RAF settled for a blue/pale blue roundel and the Fleet Air Arm used a blue and white roundel.

Lancaster B.I (FE) of No 97 Patfinder sqn.

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

Lancaster B.I Special (FE) of No 617 Sqn.

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

Lincoln B.II of No 617 Sqn.

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

Great paints and fantastic history lessons too.

Thank you very much JensOle.

Brilliant work Jens-Ole. Hope these will become available soon.

DaveQ
    'Always do sober what you say you'll do when you're drunk. It'll teach you to keep you mouth shut' - Ernest Hemingway

Looking forward to these Jens. Once I get up-and-running properly I'll have to invest in these models just because they look SOOOOO good in white.

Brings back fond memories of painting up Dave Garwoods FS2002 lanc set in similar schemes, including the same pacific roundels. Not sure if they are still in the library here, I think they were lost in a previous hack/server loss.

These will more than make up for them.

Jamie

PS. Can't believe I still have a pic, forgive the quality, it is CFS2. Plus another fav scheme of mine (based on a very probably inaccurate profile I had).

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lancaster (39).jpg   Lancaster (47).jpg  
    Last edited by Desert Rat; July 27th, 2016 at 11:22.

Quote Originally Posted by JensOle View Post
    Lancaster B.I Special (FE) of No 617 Sqn.

may I ask which FSX Plane that is ( producer)?

Thanks

Roland

It is the FCS lancaster package. The tiger force scheme looks very smart on both of the planes I think. I have not seen any info about the parfinder Mosquitos.

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

They also trialled, and maybe even used, a camelback style fuel tank that sat above the fuselage and behind and over the rear portion of the canopy, gave it the look of an airliner cockpit, always wished someone would have modeled that.

Yeah, the lancaster was the first aircrsft with cft's..hehe in the end they found the saddle tank to be very dangerous and it was not going to be used operational from what I have read. With Okinawa available it was not needed anyway.

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

The Tiger force Lancaster paints are soon ready, a No 9 Sqn paint will also be included.

Over to a real Lincoln which flew over Asia, Australian build Lincoln B.30 A73-20 of the RAAF as it looked in the late 1940's. The Virtavia model is not capable of shine or alpha channel, so MCX was needed for the process. The Lincoln looks very good in bare metal indeed :-)

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

The Tiger force Lancaster paints are soon ready, a No 9 Sqn paint will also be included.

Over to a real Lincoln which flew over Asia, Australian build Lincoln B.30 A73-20 of the RAAF as it looked in the late 1940's. The Virtavia model is not capable of shine or alpha channel, so MCX was needed for the process. The Lincoln looks very good in bare metal indeed :-)

She looks pretty good JensOle! I am very interested in this paint. Could you let me know when she is ready for download please?

Are you thinking of doing any more RAAF Lincolns both Mk.30's and Mk.31's?

Cheers,
    Tim.

Trying to get some good close up of bomb log from Malaya Ops for at least one more B.30.

Both of the included RAAF textures are lacking in details and bare metal feel. So some love and attention is needed...

The real issue is that each one will need to modify the model files with MXC to get the metal look, maybe I can talk with Phil about releasing it as an update for the Lincoln pack. Without the modified model all of the RAAF paints will look as dull and matt as the original.

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

The real issue is that each one will need to modify the model files with MXC to get the metal look, maybe I can talk with Phil about releasing it as an update for the Lincoln pack. Without the modified model all of the RAAF paints will look as dull and matt as the original.
    Would be a great idea, many of us here would manage to 'self-serve' this, but for the good of the community as a whole, it would be great if those who could not did not have to.

Looking great, not as good as the white ones, but i'm biased.

Jamie

Trying to get some good close up of bomb log from Malaya Ops for at least one more B.30.

Both of the included RAAF textures are lacking in details and bare metal feel. So some love and attention is needed...

This may help you? http://www.adf-gallery.com.au/ "RAAF Series Two" is where you will find the Lincoln. If not I maybe able to find some shots for you? Are you after any RAAF Mk.30 that served over in Malaya?

Cheers,
    Tim.

Yes I have used that library. The problem is that most pictures are low res and not much use for details. I was hoping for other pictures.

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

The long nosed Lincoln

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lanc618.jpg  

Just a brief comment (nice repaints as usual Jens!) on the 'Long Nose' Lincolns from my Dad's time on the type, "Very noisy and bloody hot, with little or no forward ground visibility."
    I sensed he was really annoyed to find himself flying sorties over Malaya and turning Rain Forest into toothpicks!!
    He really disliked them and was so very pleased to get hold of 'his' Neptune when the type arrived.
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Yeah, the Lincoln had its ancestry in the Lancaster, a pure war machine to put bombs on Germany. Crew comfort had very little or if any impact on what Bomber Command wanted. They even removed the co-pilots to save "costs", something which put even more stress on the pilots on long night combat missions. The Americans on the other hand wanted to fly into battle in at least a little luxury, a design aspect which tended to make them better suited for the post war period.

Luckily they did not fly the long nosed Lincoln on bomber missions over Malaya! At least it was a modification which gave the Aussie taxpayers a lot for their investment in the Lincoln bombers, flying them in the maritime patrol and ASW role into the 1960's.

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

Members who have read this thread: 0