Places to fly Bush Planes.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Places to fly Bush Planes.

Places to fly Bush Planes.

Hi guys,
    I am about to buy the Carenado Cessna 185 and will probably grab the A2A Cub when it is on sale, but i have one problem. Where do I fly them?
    I only really want to fly them in the bush, but it is kind of disappointing to do a fun flight and land a plane at a default airstrip that is pretty much just a clearing and a place to land. ORBX is very expensive and freeware scenery is nice but does not usually cover an area in which you can fly from one airport to another.

I've got the Orbx freeware sceneries and they're pretty darn good
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

I downloaded one of them but it doesnt work in steam do to some .dll problem. They look nice though. i would try more of them but we have some problems with over-using data.

Quote Originally Posted by ryapad View Post
    doesnt work in steam
    sorry I have FSX steam edition. just to clear that up.

While I wholeheartedly believe you should save up for an Orbx region such as SE Alaska, where bush planes shine, the idea of using bush planes is to take you to places where there are no airports.

You can use default scenery for that, just go land on a beach somewhere, or a road out in the middle of nowhere.

I get a chuckle reading people complain that there are no water airports in FSX. Any body of water you can land a float plane on (and take off from) is a runway.

cheers,
    Lane

there is a nice little grass strip provided as freeware by Alabeo

I get it - you want a little scenery that fits the aircraft, to take off and land..circuits and bumps. This one should work with Steam..do you know how to add scenery to FSX in Steam?

http://www.alabeo.com/pages/Cottonwood.php
    enter..the Sandman

visit Heywood Planes - YouTube

Didn't know they did scenery. How long has that been out?
    FAA ZMP
    PPL ASEL

| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | EVGA GTX1080 Ti | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X |

I think it is the only scenery Alabeo has presented..released with their Piper Pawnee 'duster.
    enter..the Sandman

you can check the Steam DLC lists for FSX:SE and see what scenery they offer..that would be the easiest to install obviously.

I could help you better if I had not uninstalled the Steam edition some time ago from my laptop...seems it didn't play well with win10 after an update
    enter..the Sandman

The best Bush flying I've done was this Orbx Project, Jacksons International and they followed it up with Tapini. The first comes with a full regional airport and ten extra Bush aifields and 20 extra upgraded airfields. You get a lot of airfields for the money. The Bush strips are the most challenging I've flown, especially when you're landing up a 30 degree slope on a ridge. Another one actually curves with the ridge. Some of the others are at the bottom of a valley and you need all of the drag you can generate to get down to the airfield and not run off the end into the bush.

hi guys,
    Thanks for all of the advice. i know how to put scenery into FSX:SE and i will definitely get that little grass strip you mentioned. Even though i can afford to get ORBX, there is nooooo way my dad will let me get it. I guess my limit is about $20 so if you guys know of anything around there. heywooood, that is exactly what i want to do, just fly around and have fun looking around. I think i might try sliding down the autogen to get rid of those little bushes and try land on some beaches.

hi guys,
    Thanks for all of the advice. i know how to put scenery into FSX:SE and i will definitely get that little grass strip you mentioned. Even though i can afford to get ORBX, there is nooooo way my dad will let me get it. I guess my limit is about $20 so if you guys know of anything around there. heywooood, that is exactly what i want to do, just fly around and have fun looking around. I think i might try sliding down the autogen to get rid of those little bushes and try land on some beaches.
    some of these freeware airports are fun - High River and Claresholm in the North America (NA) section are nice and you do not have to buy the regional scenery for these to work..
    also the Bowerman airfield is very good.. and if you like there are fields in Aussieland and England too
    https://fullterrain.com/freeware
    enter..the Sandman

Aren't Bowerman, High River and Claresholm for Orbx?

There are a number of Alaska airfields included with the Lionheart Piper Pacer.
    Rats - why won't anything work properly first time?

You can get Bowerman along with the whole ftx Olympic Peninsula, which includes a few other airports (Port Angeles) here: https://fullterrain.com/demos

Very much worth the download.

You can get Bowerman along with the whole ftx Olympic Peninsula
    That's a good idea, and if dad sees how good the PNW demo is he might let ryapad go for the full region! Olympic Field is a very nice field in the demo.
    Last edited by dhasdell; July 26th, 2016 at 23:23.

You can also try these Idaho strips from OZx:

http://aussiex.org/forum/index.php?/...aho-dirt-gold/

Four very challenging strips included.

There are more in the OZx site if you have a look, most of them in Aussie and NZ lands though.

Quote Originally Posted by Stefano Zibell View Post
    You can get Bowerman along with the whole ftx Olympic Peninsula, which includes a few other airports (Port Angeles) here: https://fullterrain.com/demos

Very much worth the download.
    I would also recommend this download.
    The area covered by this demo is huge, and perfect for bush flying. There are a few normal airfields there, and plenty of forests, valleys and mountains to explore.

I'm running SE as well.
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

Here is a good place to start:

http://www.return.mistymoorings.com/

Most of the addon scenery is free with hundreds of locations in SW Alaska, and British Columbia as well as Yukon.
    As for Payware You will want Tongas Fyords from FSAddon for sure

Check it out - You will probably want to had a float plane or Amphibian as many locations are water locations. Lots of remote cabins, fisheries etc.

Lots of fun. ORBX will greatly enhance the terrain and realism but it's not mandatory.

Spend some time on the website. I think you will be excited at what you find

Cheers

JPMouse

Quote Originally Posted by dhasdell View Post
    Aren't Bowerman, High River and Claresholm for Orbx?

There are a number of Alaska airfields included with the Lionheart Piper Pacer.
    I have the pacer, but for some reason the scenery wont work. i will probably get some support because they look nice.

You should really explore some of the world's most beautiful scenery before investing too much.

Alaska, British Columbia (West of the Rockies) and Vancouver Island, Northwestern Washington state, the Alps of Northern Italy, Austria, Switzerland, and France, Nepal, Peru along the Andes south to Chile, etc. Mountainous regions provide the most immersive experiences IMO.

I have flown the world over in these areas many times before my development days and find these areas are the best.

I am attaching a few flight plans for British Columbia that you might check out. I have many more for these beautiful world mountainous areas.

If I were buying scenery, I think the BC area/NW Washington state would be my areas of choice for Bush flying. Lots of mountains, lakes, rivers, and short runways tucked on most interesting places.

I am zipping the flight plans due to picture size but attach also some pics for a feel.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HOMEUNIT-2016-jul-27-007.jpg   HOMEUNIT-2016-jul-27-013.jpg   HOMEUNIT-2016-jul-27-001.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

bush flyin'

I echo jpmouse, when it comes to bush country flyin', you can not beat the RTMM site and they are the most friendly when it comes to helping you work thru any problems. So go there and look around, Warning though it is addicting

for some reason the scenery wont work
    You've checked it is where it should be, and have tried to activate it in the Scenery Library?

I've got Lionheart's Pacer package installed in FSX/SE and the scenery works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by jpmouse View Post
    Here is a good place to start:

http://www.return.mistymoorings.com/

Most of the addon scenery is free with hundreds of locations in SW Alaska, and British Columbia as well as Yukon.
    As for Payware You will want Tongas Fyords from FSAddon for sure

Check it out - You will probably want to had a float plane or Amphibian as many locations are water locations. Lots of remote cabins, fisheries etc.

Lots of fun. ORBX will greatly enhance the terrain and realism but it's not mandatory.

Spend some time on the website. I think you will be excited at what you find

Cheers

JPMouse
    the problem is that RTMM usually only works with orbx, but it looks nice.

Members who have read this thread: 0