Douglas C-47 v3 Livery Thread - Page 14
Page 14 of 50 FirstFirst ... 467891011121314151617181920212224 ... LastLast

Thread: Douglas C-47 v3 Livery Thread

That looks really nice. I, too, just use DXTBMP and Gimp mostly for my own personal paints (I'm not really very good). It looks like you got the most out of them. Does the shine on the wings match the body? Are you planning on uploading?
    Thank you Brian,

The wing shine does match the fuselage. This angle just doesn't show it.

I hadn't planned on uploading it. Honestly never really thought about it. There are far higher quality paints available than my amateurish attempts. One person asked for it when I finished earlier in the thread so we exchanged emails and I sent him the texture. Alas, I couldn't send him the shiny fuselage version. My email provider only allows 25MB attachments and this one was 58MBs zipped because of the .dds files (2 of them at 90+MBs unzipped) that are required to get the level of shine I wanted.

Again, thanks for the compliment.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by Ramjett53 View Post
    Thank you Brian,

The wing shine does match the fuselage. This angle just doesn't show it.

I hadn't planned on uploading it. Honestly never really thought about it. There are far higher quality paints available than my amateurish attempts. One person asked for it when I finished earlier in the thread so we exchanged emails and I sent him the texture. Alas, I couldn't send him the shiny fuselage version. My email provider only allows 25MB attachments and this one was 58MBs zipped because of the .dds files (2 of them at 90+MBs unzipped) that are required to get the level of shine I wanted.

Again, thanks for the compliment.

Randy
    It looks nice, I think you should upload it. By the way, it would take very little work to make this into a livery matching a real C-47. N271SE, currently owned and operated by Florida Air Cargo out of Opa Locka (KOPF), formerly owned by Mission Flights International.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 0000043319.jpg  
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramjett53 View Post
    Finished my civilian version and added the high shine metal lower fuselage similar to "Miss Virginia". I toned it down some from the way it looked in "Miss Virginia". All that "shine" hurt my eyes.

I fixed the upper hinge and lower hinge color, but left the air duct inlet on the left front alone. It crossed three colors of paint and finally got tired of "tweaking" to get lines lined up. I don't have one of those high-powered paint programs. Just DXTBMP and GIMP 2.6, but it got me what I wanted. I'm a happy guy.
    Enjoy.

Randy
    Yeap, you can upload it We wanna fly it man.
    Gimp is not Photoshop but is good for make repaints. Ypur repaint is a clear fact which support this statement. Remember that you can also update your Gimp to v2.8 (with improvements).

It looks nice, I think you should upload it. By the way, it would take very little work to make this into a livery matching a real C-47. N271SE, currently owned and operated by Florida Air Cargo out of Opa Locka (KOPF), formerly owned by Mission Flights International.
    Amazing, that is the photo I used way back when I did this same repaint for the MAAM DC-3 for FS2004 several years ago. I sent a letter to the Mission Flights organization asking their permission to copy the scheme, but never got an answer, so I "modified it" adding color to the tail and moving the N-Number, creating a new one. Looked too "plain" with a white tail. Maybe should have contacted Florida Air Cargo instead.

I'd done this same thing for the Carenado C-182 when I did a repaint of a UK registration. Got a very nice letter from the registered owner, a furniture company, saying they would be honored.

Anyway, if I can figure out how to submit for upload I will. I double checked and the textures work for all three C47 models, just have to color the vertical antenna on the model.GAF version. I have dabbled with paint.net, another freeware paint program, that lets me manipulate layers of a .psd file, but my learning curve is slow and I have used GIMP for many years and way more comfortable with it. Tried 2.8, but there was a very subtle difference in the way some things worked so I went back to 2.6 where I was much more comfortable.

Randy
    Randy Tyndall
    It's congenital really. We're an aspiring species that doesn't have wings. What else would we dream of?-Mark Vanhoenacker, British Airways B747 pilot

Lufthansa-Repaint for Douglas C-47 Skytrain (Visser/Jahn)

Quote Originally Posted by Christoph_T View Post
    Hello Christian,

it is indeed for the C-47 Skytrain. I'll contact you as soon as I have new info...

Greetings from Hamburg,

Christoph

Ok, thanks for your answer, Christoph. Then I'll wait and see what's coming up :-)

Christian
    regards
    Christian

P3Dv4 - ASUS Z97 Pro i7 4770k@4.4 Ghz (OC) 8 GB Kingston HyperX XMP 1600 Mhz ASUS GTX 1070 STRIX 8GB

For a sophisticated flight simulation
    www.bahrometrix.de

Quote Originally Posted by banjoman1960 View Post
    like this port over from v2?

cheers ralf
    Hi Ralf.

That's exactly what I wanted! But if I understand correctly, then @Christoph_T will take the Lufthansa repaint :-)

But many dear thanks for your support! :-)

Christian
    regards
    Christian

P3Dv4 - ASUS Z97 Pro i7 4770k@4.4 Ghz (OC) 8 GB Kingston HyperX XMP 1600 Mhz ASUS GTX 1070 STRIX 8GB

For a sophisticated flight simulation
    www.bahrometrix.de

Icon22

Quick let's get out of here before the authorities realize that we don't have an N Number.

Found at: flightsim

douglas_c47_v3_private_livery_red.zip
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails redwhite.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by rdaniell View Post
    Quick let's get out of here before the authorities realize that we don't have an N Number.

Found at: flightsim

douglas_c47_v3_private_livery_red.zip
    Uh-huh. When you land, if you see a whole bunch of red and blue flashing lights racing towards you, don't panic. It's just your own personal welcoming committee coming to greet you.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Jafo, outstanding work on your Qantas paints. The metal and paint 'shine' is particularly well done and looks fantastic.

Noticed some small errors in the aircraft.cfg entries that I easily sorted but may prevent others from seeing these birds in all their glory.
    Deleted the reference to C47_2 in model=, and added a "_" to the name in texture=.

Thanks for your efforts on these.

Quote Originally Posted by fuzz1 View Post
    Jafo, outstanding work on your Qantas paints. The metal and paint 'shine' is particularly well done and looks fantastic.

Noticed some small errors in the aircraft.cfg entries that I easily sorted but may prevent others from seeing these birds in all their glory.
    Deleted the reference to C47_2 in model=, and added a "_" to the name in texture=.

Thanks for your efforts on these.
    Glad you're liking them.... the 'c47_2' model in the aircraft.cfg is the newly released alternate models and that's the particular correct one for these palnes...ie no antenna whiskers each side of the nose. I mention about it in the 'readme' .... and to delete the reference if you don't have the updated models [plural]...

From the readme...
    "Note...the correct Model to use is the newly released 'C47_2' without the 'whiskers'.If you don't have that one change the 'model=C47_2' line to 'model=' [without comments]"

Icon22

Quote Originally Posted by stansdds View Post
    Uh-huh. When you land, if you see a whole bunch of red and blue flashing lights racing towards you, don't panic. It's just your own personal welcoming committee coming to greet you.
    Only problem with that committee is they have those awful one size fits all handcuffs...

RD

Quote Originally Posted by Butcherbird17 View Post
    Hey Huub,

I know of yours and a V1 paint, will need to search on the others to make sure I'm not doing the same a/c.
    This one is also a static (PP-ANU) and is requested by the same person you did yours for.
    Anyways, mine is far from done and I'm not happy with the way I did the tail end, so will be redoing
    that. Plus I still need to find a good source for the logos as I'm coming up empty on my searches.

Joe
    Joe,

Are you looking for these?

Cheers,
    Huub

Quote Originally Posted by Jafo View Post
    Glad you're liking them.... the 'c47_2' model in the aircraft.cfg is the newly released alternate models and that's the particular correct one for these palnes...ie no antenna whiskers each side of the nose. I mention about it in the 'readme' .... and to delete the reference if you don't have the updated models [plural]...

From the readme...
    "Note...the correct Model to use is the newly released 'C47_2' without the 'whiskers'.If you don't have that one change the 'model=C47_2' line to 'model=' [without comments]"
    Yikes. I hate getting caught not properly reading the instructions. Just caught up on the new models; makes perfect sense now, thanks Jafo. It's wonderful to see the evolution of this magnificent bird outpacing my ability to keep up with it!

Quote Originally Posted by huub vink View Post
    Joe,

Are you looking for these?

Cheers,
    Huub
    Thanks Huub,

Those are just what the doctor ordered.

Joe
    I7 6700K @ 4.8 / Gigabyte Z170X UD3 / 16GB G.Skill TridentZ 3200mhz / EVGA GTX 1070 Ti FTW Ultra 8GB / EVGA SuperNova 750 G2
    Samsung 960 Evo NVMe M.2 250gb Boot Drive / 960 Evo 1 TB SSD - Game Drive / WD Blue 500GB SSD - Sim Drive / WD Black 1TB HD
    Fractal Design Celsius S36 AIO Cooler / Fractal Design Define R6 / LG
    32GK850G-B 32" 1440P 144Hz G-Sync Monitor

From the readme...
    How and where do I get this "C47_2" updated model. I looked on SOH and see nothing different? Would really like to get rid of those "whiskers" on my airliners.

Thanks

Gordon,

If you have this paint, I sure would like a copy of it please.... I like the two tone colors w/red stripe.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ******** View Post
    Wont work Chief, the layout is different. C-117 uses three texture sheets for the external, the fuse is much longer, taller v-stab etc.

I've got a pearl silver/black skin for the C-47 though. My own personal ride. I can make it pure black and zip it up for you.

Older screencap pre V3

Icon22

My outfit's Red and White C-47 got stolen. We made a deal with Willy over at Merc Air for this old DC3. Did some exterior work and applied little bitty N Numbers.
    We then "tricked out" the cockpit using the new VVC from the team and GMan's black interior with black leather seats.

We decided to test everything by doing a little paying hop. We were told to just land here , taxi to the end of the runway, turn around, stop, open the door, and wait.
    Man I sure hope our passenger is not being followed by the feds or somebody else that may be even more bad news.

RD
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails baremetal.jpg  

These 3 Qantas versions have been uploaded here...

VH-EAP [cn:12873] [sn:42-93009] was built as a C47A-20-DK at the Douglas Oklahoma City plant in March 1944 and was delivered to the RAAF as A65-44 in April 1944 with use granted to Qantas Empire Airways Limited and first entering the AAR in June 1948 as VH-EAP. She currently resides at Qantas's Longreach Museum.

VH-EAR [cn:12035] [sn:42-92255] was built as a C47A-1-DK at the Douglas Oklahoma City plant in November 1943 and was delivered to the RAAF as A65-25 in January 1944 with use granted to Qantas Empire Airways Limited in March 1948 and first entering the AAR in July 1948 as VH-EAR and converted by Qantas to DC-3-S1C3G and operated in PNG.

VH-EDD [cn:13922-25367] [sn:43-48106] was built as a C47A-30-DK at the Douglas Oklahoma City plant in July 1944 and was delivered to the RAAF as A65-57 in August 1944 with use granted to Qantas Empire Airways Limited and first entering the AAR in December 1946 as VH-EAO and again in January 1964 as VH-EDD and operated for pilot training and freight.

Downloaded all three but can't get any to show up on the "Select Aircraft" screen in FSX. Attached are my aircraft.cfg and what's in my aircraft file. Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails C-47_V3.12_Beta Folder.jpg   Aircraft.cfg.jpg  

Sticking with my favorite schemes. This one is for the pilots who like flying out Edwards.

Once this one is done it's back to the VARIG scheme I need to finish.

Joe
    I7 6700K @ 4.8 / Gigabyte Z170X UD3 / 16GB G.Skill TridentZ 3200mhz / EVGA GTX 1070 Ti FTW Ultra 8GB / EVGA SuperNova 750 G2
    Samsung 960 Evo NVMe M.2 250gb Boot Drive / 960 Evo 1 TB SSD - Game Drive / WD Blue 500GB SSD - Sim Drive / WD Black 1TB HD
    Fractal Design Celsius S36 AIO Cooler / Fractal Design Define R6 / LG
    32GK850G-B 32" 1440P 144Hz G-Sync Monitor

Quote Originally Posted by triflyman View Post
    Downloaded all three but can't get any to show up on the "Select Aircraft" screen in FSX. Attached are my aircraft.cfg and what's in my aircraft file. Any ideas?

Thanks,
    triflyman ....this is from the readme.txt included with the aircraft.cfg entries you copied over...
    From the readme...

triflyman ....this is from the readme.txt included with the aircraft.cfg entries you copied over...
    From the readme...
    Yes...I do have that one and you'll see in my attachment the "C47_2" (and it works fine in my other airliner aircraft).

Any other ideas?

Try placing a "_" between Qantas and VH-EAR in the .cfg texture= entry.

Blog Entries
    Update Heads Up: C-47 V3 Drag-Em-Oot Texture

I did some fine tuning on the Drag-Em-Oot texture.

Changes Include:

Improved nose art
    Reduced contrast on lower surfaces on the stripes.
    Improved alignment of upper and lower surface colors around nose, wing roots and cowl flaps.

You might want to update your skin if you have already downloaded.
    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...7&linkid=21744
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

Members who have read this thread: 17