Douglas C-47 v3 Livery Thread - Page 24
Page 24 of 50 FirstFirst ... 14161718192021222324252627282930313234 ... LastLast

Thread: Douglas C-47 v3 Livery Thread

Time for some fun....
    Reason Qantas is well and truly in the black these days.....they dusted off some old planes ....

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Qantas Modern-1.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by triflyman View Post
    I found the same thing on the Frontier repaint...is there a new texture file for that?

Thanks,
    try this: https://www.dropbox.com/s/8c567l40ia...ntier.zip?dl=0
    and let me know if that works?
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

Hello all. This is literally my first ever post here on SOH, just looking through all of these wonderful liveries (well downloading half of them as well). I was wondering if anybody is working on a Colombian Aliansa Livery (white upper fuselage with green cheat line). If not I could be persuaded to have a go, although I have no FSX painting experience, I have done some liveries for racing sims such as GTR2 and rFactor in the past, which will hopefully transfer somehow.

Much more fun [read - easier] doing "what if"s ...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Qantas Modern-2.jpg   Qantas Modern-3.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by jankees View Post
    try this: https://www.dropbox.com/s/8c567l40ia...ntier.zip?dl=0
    and let me know if that works?
    Thanks...that worked great. You even held rivet definitions very well.

tgycgijoes: I too would like to have the Southern Airways paint when finished. The first airline ride I made and paid for by myself was in a Southern DC3, 1962, Memphis to Tri-Cities (Knoxville).

Quote Originally Posted by Jafo View Post
    Much more fun [read - easier] doing "what if"s ...

But I'm a sucker for flying still serving aircraft. With the exception of models that are no longer in service.

Next on my 'list' is an Ansett one.... VH-ABR which looks like it has had just about every ANSETT Livery version there ever was...

So far I counted...7 different ones.... same serial.

I may have to do all seven of 'em...

I don't think this was the first version Ansett had....but it's the first of the 7 I'll do....
    More to do on this one, of course...

Edit....bit more...

And this one's just been uploaded here...

VH-TMQ [cn:16136-32884] [sn:44-76552] was built as a C47B-30-DK at Douglas Aircraft, Oklahoma City March, 1945 Arrived Amberley on lend / lease to the RAAF April 6, 1945, Serial Number A65-91 and operated under radio callsign 'VH-RFH.' Entered onto the Australian Aircraft Register as VH-TMQ - December 1, 1987. Sold to Windjammer Promotions, Melbourne, Victoria t/a Air Nostalgia - July 1, 1996. Aircraft completely restored with upgraded seating for 28 passengers, taking 4 years. Test flown at Melbourne (Essendon) Airport (B. Lane & D. Beck) - March 31, 2000. Operated charter and evening flights from Melbourne (Essendon) Airport [YMEN]. Offered for sale by National Auctioneers and Valuers, Tullamarine - May 14, 2009. Sold to Alistair Lamb for $AUD 180,000. Registered to Australasian Jet, Essendon Airport, Melbourne - May 28, 2009. Gooney Bird Pty Ltd, Essendon registered operator. Current with Air Nostalgia.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ANA V1-1.jpg   ANA V1-2.jpg   VH-TMQ-Final2.jpg  
    Last edited by Jafo; August 30th, 2016 at 07:11.

Guys, there were some errors in my Snafu paint which have now been corrected, so please download again if you want the correct version. And yes, the stripes are wavy on purpose!
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

Guys, there were some errors in my Snafu paint which have now been corrected, so please download again if you want the correct version.
    Thank you sir for all your work in this community!

Guys, there were some errors in my Snafu paint which have now been corrected, so please download again if you want the correct version. And yes, the stripes are wavy on purpose!
    If anyone want a little history on the "wavy" stripes, I did a little research on this for an RC model of a P-38 that I'm building

Seems that when the command was given to paint the stripes the ground crews had about 48 hrs or less to paint thousands of planes. No time to mask off each stripe, wait for it to dry before moving on to the next stripe and then masking off that stripe...so these were done by hand and most of the ground crew were not painters...they were mechanics. You can imagine what some of the stripes looked like.

So next time you go to an airshow and there is a P-51 (or whatever) sitting there with perfect stripes...just casually mention that their aircraft is not authentic...I'm sure they will really appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by spokes2112 View Post
    Anyone up for this or an alternate?

http://www.hermantheduck.org/pages/a...pages/dc3.html

There ya go Roman. All the way from page five of this thread.

Have just been handed this interesting read:

North Central's N21728, “Old 728,” logged 84,875 hours before its retirement in May 1975. Eastern Airlines took delivery of N21728 on April 11, 1939. It logged 51,398 hours over a 13 year period, then Eastern sold it to North Central Airlines for $35,000. It spent another 31,634 hours in scheduled service (through April 1965) and logged another 1843 hours (through 1975) as a VIP aircraft for North Central. [COLOR= ]728 held the world record for airframe hours until August 27, 1981, at 4:04 p.m..
    North Central estimates “728” spent more than 9 1/2 years in the air and covered over 12 million miles, the equivalent of 25 trips to the moon and back. At 185 miles per hour, each one-way trip would take roughly 54 days (compared with three days it took the Apollo astronauts).
    During its career, “Old 728” had 136 engine changes, its landing gear was replaced 550 times, and it used over 25,000 spark plugs, to burn eight million gallons of gasoline. This DC-3 had taxied more than 100,000 miles and carried 260 million passengers in its 36-years of service.
    Although many “old timers” had their share of bumps and bruises, “Old 728” never suffered even a minor mishap. Today, it is sitting quietly at the Henry Ford Museum, in Dearborn, Michigan. Critics have said that everything but its shadow has been replaced. This is not true. “Old 728's” airframe was still 90 percent factory issue when it retired.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails nc728a.jpg  
    Last edited by Ron Attwood; August 30th, 2016 at 14:25. Reason: Found intersting stuff.

This one was requested early on in this thread. Still working on the spec and alpha and I need to replace the
    crest on the nose with the correct Kings crest. Just wanted to see how she looked in sim. I think it needs a
    little more polish, what do you think?

Joe
    I7 6700K @ 4.8 / Gigabyte Z170X UD3 / 16GB G.Skill TridentZ 3200mhz / EVGA GTX 1070 Ti FTW Ultra 8GB / EVGA SuperNova 750 G2
    Samsung 960 Evo NVMe M.2 250gb Boot Drive / 960 Evo 1 TB SSD - Game Drive / WD Blue 500GB SSD - Sim Drive / WD Black 1TB HD
    Fractal Design Celsius S36 AIO Cooler / Fractal Design Define R6 / LG
    32GK850G-B 32" 1440P 144Hz G-Sync Monitor

Next on my 'list' is an Ansett one.... VH-ABR which looks like it has had just about every ANSETT Livery version there ever was...

So far I counted...7 different ones.... same serial.

I may have to do all seven of 'em...
    This is one of M.M.A DC-3 before Ansett took them over one of the first ones that I had a ride in when I was a kid would like this repaint
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mma.dc3.vhmmb.jpg   0250.211al.jpg  

Hi Joe,
    I think the shine is adequate,there is too much emphasis on shine in my opinion(although I'm a shine freak and love miss virginia.)

The paint looks great.

Cheers Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Attwood View Post

Have just been handed this interesting read:

North Central's N21728, “Old 728,” logged 84,875 hours before its retirement in May 1975. Eastern Airlines took delivery of N21728 on April 11, 1939. It logged 51,398 hours over a 13 year period, then Eastern sold it to North Central Airlines for $35,000. It spent another 31,634 hours in scheduled service (through April 1965) and logged another 1843 hours (through 1975) as a VIP aircraft for North Central. [COLOR= ]728 held the world record for airframe hours until August 27, 1981, at 4:04 p.m..
    North Central estimates “728” spent more than 9 1/2 years in the air and covered over 12 million miles, the equivalent of 25 trips to the moon and back. At 185 miles per hour, each one-way trip would take roughly 54 days (compared with three days it took the Apollo astronauts).
    During its career, “Old 728” had 136 engine changes, its landing gear was replaced 550 times, and it used over 25,000 spark plugs, to burn eight million gallons of gasoline. This DC-3 had taxied more than 100,000 miles and carried 260 million passengers in its 36-years of service.
    Although many “old timers” had their share of bumps and bruises, “Old 728” never suffered even a minor mishap. Today, it is sitting quietly at the Henry Ford Museum, in Dearborn, Michigan. Critics have said that everything but its shadow has been replaced. This is not true. “Old 728's” airframe was still 90 percent factory issue when it retired.

Ron,

Did you release this? Having grown up in Wisconsin, I remember seeing this aircraft many, many, times in real life when I was a kid.
    Thanks for the efforts. I think you did her justice!

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by musterpilot View Post
    This is one of M.M.A DC-3 before Ansett took them over one of the first ones that I had a ride in when I was a kid would like this repaint
    I might get on to the 'derivatives' as well.... but in the case of VH-ABR there's 7 vers to do just in the Ansett/ANA colours alone.

Here's the first one...about ready to upload...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ANA V1-final1.jpg   ANA V1-2.jpg   ANA V1-final2.jpg  

SOH-CM-2020
    Jafo thank you so much for all the VH-*** paints but particularly the Tata Sunbird which, being an old TPNG hand, I will particularly enjoy. Perhaps in your upcoming Ansett collection there might be Ansett-MAL or Ansett Airlines of Papua New Guinea paints included? Or maybe even a Patair one? Just being hopeful

Quote Originally Posted by TerribleT View Post
    Jafo thank you so much for all the VH-*** paints but particularly the Tata Sunbird which, being an old TPNG hand, I will particularly enjoy. Perhaps in your upcoming Ansett collection there might be Ansett-MAL or Ansett Airlines of Papua New Guinea paints included? Or maybe even a Patair one? Just being hopeful
    Yep...by the time I have all the ABR ones done those should be a doddle...

SOH-CM-2020
    Yep...by the time I have all the ABR ones done those should be a doddle...
    TBG Mate

Thank You Ron!

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Attwood View Post
    Ron,
    Can't thank you enough!

Quote Originally Posted by icycle View Post
    Ron,

Did you release this? Having grown up in Wisconsin, I remember seeing this aircraft many, many, times in real life when I was a kid.
    Thanks for the efforts. I think you did her justice!

Bill
    Bill,
    Agree completely! Justice was done. It's Out! .. My first Herman the Duck experience was w/ the Convair 440's at GRB sending my father away for IBM training. Never did see the DC-3 though.. Still a huge fan of Herman.
    Roman

That 'Kings Flight' Dak looks stunning Joe.. a very fitting transport for the King and Queen

ATB
    DaveB

Quote Originally Posted by Butcherbird17 View Post
    This one was requested early on in this thread. Still working on the spec and alpha and I need to replace the
    crest on the nose with the correct Kings crest. Just wanted to see how she looked in sim. I think it needs a
    little more polish, what do you think?
    Joe
    Looks wonderful, Joe. The shine looks perfect as it is. Can't wait for the download.

I agree Joe,She looks great as she is shine wise.

Cheers Chris

Members who have read this thread: 18