Douglas C-47 v3 Livery Thread - Page 21
Page 21 of 50 FirstFirst ... 11131415161718192021222324252627282931 ... LastLast

Thread: Douglas C-47 v3 Livery Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Aharon View Post
    Addman,

That is AWESOME metallic shine on the Finnish airline DC-3!!!!

Regards,

Aharon
    Yeah, I thought it would attract some of the shine-fetishist artists around here.

Oh! here's a really nice picture with another famous DC-3, "Fridtjof Viking" in the background which I'd also love seeing on MJ's C-47. Come to think of it, isn't somebody already doing "Fridtjof Viking"? Thought I saw a picture of it a few pages back.

Cheers!/Andreas

Once I have one TAA 'mostly right' it's easy enough to do others..... this one is on the way...

Specs and alphas are still from the other one at this stage.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails VH-SBJ-1.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by addman View Post
    Hello! Long time lurker, first time posting here. I have a livery request for the fabulous C-47 if any one of you amazing painters are up for it. It's a DC-3 that is very famous here in Finland, you can see it at airshows and it takes people on for flights. Reference pictures are a plenty and can be found at the official site, http://www.dc-ry.fi/, for example. I give you:

OH-LCH!!(without the exclamation marks)

Much obliged!/Andreas in Finland
    Thanks for the memories, Andreas.

Do you happen to know Lasse Hero and Miikka Hult by any chance ?.... 15 years ago i was looking for photos of bare-metal DC-3's that i could use to create photoreal textures for my first DC-3 model ( FS2K, no fancy reflective-, specular- and bumpmapping yet... ). At about the same time i was asked by Miika Hult if i could do a Finnish Airlines livery for my DC-3 model. I thought he was godsent because OH-LCH is one of the most beautiful examples of a still flying bare-metal DC-3. Made a deal with him, i'd do a digital replica of OH-LCH if he would send me photos... Took 3 photoshoot sessions because of the hangar and the weather ( can't be in the hangar nore have direct sunlight on bare-metal if used for a texture.. Overcast is preferable.. ;-). They not only provided me with a truckload of good and straight close-up photos of OH-LCH, sistership OH-LCD was parked next to her as well at EFHK at that moment in time.

This is the exact photo i used to create the engine nacelles texture and part of the nose and front section:

For quite some time already photoreal textures to replicate a bare-metal skin is no longer needed anymore but it was good fun in the old days.

I'm almost sure one of the repaint guru's here will pick up on your request, would love to do it myself (talk about memories... ;-) but i am all booked up to light up the VVC atm.

Good luck!

Cheers,
    Jan

P.S. if you *do* happen to know Miikka or Lasse send them my best regards if you can )

Quote Originally Posted by Javis View Post
    Thanks for the memories, Andreas.

Do you happen to know Lasse Hero and Miikka Hult by any chance ?.... 15 years ago i was looking for photos of bare-metal DC-3's that i could use to create photoreal textures for my first DC-3 model ( FS2K, no fancy reflective-, specular- and bumpmapping yet... ). At about the same time i was asked by Miika Hult if i could do a Finnish Airlines livery for my DC-3 model. I thought he was godsent because OH-LCH is one of the most beautiful examples of a still flying bare-metal DC-3. Made a deal with him, i'd do a digital replica of OH-LCH if he would send me photos... Took 3 photoshoot sessions because of the hangar and the weather ( can't be in the hangar nore have direct sunlight on bare-metal if used for a texture.. Overcast is preferable.. ;-). They not only provided me with a truckload of good and straight close-up photos of OH-LCH, sistership OH-LCD was parked next to her as well at EFHK at that moment in time.

This is the exact photo i used to create the engine nacelles texture and part of the nose and front section:

For quite some time already photoreal textures to replicate a bare-metal skin is no longer needed anymore but it was good fun in the old days.

I'm almost sure one of the repaint guru's here will pick up on your request, would love to do it myself (talk about memories... ;-) but i am all booked up to light up the VVC atm.

Good luck!

Cheers,
    Jan

P.S. if you *do* happen to know Miikka or Lasse send them my best regards if you can )
    Hello Jan! What an interesting story, unfortunately I'm not familiar with Miikka nor Lasse. I was, however, lucky enough to see the plane in air and on ground this summer at my local airfield. Unfortunately from a distance, my kids were growing weary so I didn't have time to go see it and the owners up close.

Cheers!/Andreas

has anyone done this baby yet?

Thursday, November 27 2014 I Lost My Best Friend My Uncle! He Was Amazing person He was a volunteer For Las Vegas metro Police he will be missed, I Volunteer with him Many Times With LVMPD And USFS

THOMAS CURTIS
    Thursday Nov 27th 2014

==Punisher of Arizona == Thin Blue Line

Would appreciate if someone could do this Delta DC-3 (R4D-4 Skytrain). Thanks in advance to any takers.

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Delta...8DC-3%29/91814
    "It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses". - Elwood
    Learn more about the mission of the Collings Foundation here - www.collingsfoundation.org
    Collings Foundation Facebook page - http://www.facebook.com/collings.foundation

If anybody can paint super shiny Alaska Airlines livery for C-47 as seen on those photos, that would be gratefully appreciated, please. Unless somebody tells me it has been already done for version 2, so please kindly furnish me with the name of livery repainter so that I can search for it.

Thanks,

Aharon

Quote Originally Posted by Aharon View Post
    If anybody can paint super shiny Alaska Airlines livery for C-47 as seen on those photos, that would be gratefully appreciated, please. Unless somebody tells me it has been already done for version 2, so please kindly furnish me with the name of livery repainter so that I can search for it.

Thanks,

Aharon
    jankees did this one for v2 and what a great paint is is from him.

http://aussiex.org/forum/index.php?/...aska-airlines/

Cheers,
    Tim.

Thanks, Tim and will look for Jankees' livery. Thanks for useful link.

Regards,

Aharon

Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=Cirrus N210MS;1040970]has anyone done this baby yet?

I did that one for the V2 bird. It's in my queue for a tune up and upgrade to V3.

He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

Couple more that are in the booth.

Joe
    I7 6700K @ 4.8 / Gigabyte Z170X UD3 / 16GB G.Skill TridentZ 3200mhz / EVGA GTX 1070 Ti FTW Ultra 8GB / EVGA SuperNova 750 G2
    Samsung 960 Evo NVMe M.2 250gb Boot Drive / 960 Evo 1 TB SSD - Game Drive / WD Blue 500GB SSD - Sim Drive / WD Black 1TB HD
    Fractal Design Celsius S36 AIO Cooler / Fractal Design Define R6 / LG
    32GK850G-B 32" 1440P 144Hz G-Sync Monitor

That flag on the vertical stab is reversed on the navy R4D
    FAA A&P, FE (TURBOJET),AMEL COMM INST DC-8 & B767/757 TYPE RATEINGS
    FCC GROL

These 2 are done...EAQ and SBJ...so time to upload...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails VH-AEQ-Final2.jpg   VH-SBJ-2.jpg   VH-AEQ-Final1.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by johndetrick View Post
    That flag on the vertical stab is reversed on the navy R4D
    Actually it's the way it was applied on the real bird. I thought the same thing until I found a pic of it.

Joe
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 50792_R4D-5_USN_09091968_1280.jpg  
    I7 6700K @ 4.8 / Gigabyte Z170X UD3 / 16GB G.Skill TridentZ 3200mhz / EVGA GTX 1070 Ti FTW Ultra 8GB / EVGA SuperNova 750 G2
    Samsung 960 Evo NVMe M.2 250gb Boot Drive / 960 Evo 1 TB SSD - Game Drive / WD Blue 500GB SSD - Sim Drive / WD Black 1TB HD

Quote Originally Posted by Butcherbird17 View Post
    Actually it's the way it was applied on the real bird. I thought the same thing until I found a pic of it.

Joe
    You can't rely on what is on the left side vs what is on the right.

Most [if not all] National Flags are on planes in one of two ways....either read as 'traditional'...left to right.... or directional...flagpole to front.
    What that means is for the US flag it's either stars on rear - right side...and stars on front...left side....
    ...or stars on front...both sides...

In the TAA above the flags are the second way....Union Jack to front on both sides...

Quote Originally Posted by Jafo View Post
    You can't rely on what is on the left side vs what is on the right.

Most [if not all] National Flags are on planes in one of two ways....either read as 'traditional'...left to right.... or directional...flagpole to front.
    What that means is for the US flag it's either stars on rear - right side...and stars on front...left side....
    ...or stars on front...both sides...

In the TAA above the flags are the second way....Union Jack to front on both sides...
    You may be right. But I do believe that on US military aircraft the flag should always have the field of
    stars be pointed towards the front of the aircraft no matter what side it is on. I might have it wrong on
    the side I took the screenshot of, but it is clearly the way it should be on the other side. It's a easy fix
    either way, just wish I could find a pic of the opposite side just to make sure.

Joe

Fully recognizing there are ALWAYS exceptions, I would hope that the USAF would get it by the regs on Air Force 1!

FLAG POLE FORWARD

Attachment 42298
    Duckie

"I hate to see you go, but I love to watch you leave!"

Intel i9-9900K; Noctua NH-D15 Chromax Cooler; Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi;
    ASUS Dual RTX 2070 Super OC EVO; Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB 3200;
    WD Black 500GB PCIe M.2 SSD; 3 Samsung 860 EVO SSD; WD Black 2TB HDD;
    Corsair RM 850x Gold Full Modular PSU; Phanteks P600S Mid Tower; Win10 Pro
    My SOH Downloads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...d=79620&sort=d

CE-157 Almost ready...

Duckie

"I hate to see you go, but I love to watch you leave!"

Intel i9-9900K; Noctua NH-D15 Chromax Cooler; Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi;
    ASUS Dual RTX 2070 Super OC EVO; Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB 3200;
    WD Black 500GB PCIe M.2 SSD; 3 Samsung 860 EVO SSD; WD Black 2TB HDD;
    Corsair RM 850x Gold Full Modular PSU; Phanteks P600S Mid Tower; Win10 Pro
    My SOH Downloads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...d=79620&sort=d

You may be right. But I do believe that on US military aircraft the flag should always have the field of
    stars be pointed towards the front of the aircraft no matter what side it is on. I might have it wrong on
    the side I took the screenshot of, but it is clearly the way it should be on the other side. It's a easy fix
    either way, just wish I could find a pic of the opposite side just to make sure.

Joe
    Yes...that's option 2 as I mentioned.....as was the case with the TAA paint....pole to the front both sides.

Tradition requires the flag to either be as if it is real....stars closest to pole both sides...so pole is at front....or less commonly...flag as a single-sided entity [emblem]...and the US flag is always depicted from the left side....stars on the left.

Simple reality is that a flag "should" never be shown tail-forwards with the pole at the rear viewed from the traditional [left] side.
    The screen cap above is therefore almost guaranteed to be wrong way round....
    The only way it could end up like that is if some ground crew/painter was about to be sacked....

Duckie....yes...as above...it's correct....

Quote Originally Posted by Jafo View Post
    Once I have one TAA 'mostly right' it's easy enough to do others..... this one is on the way...

Specs and alphas are still from the other one at this stage.
    Jafo you are a gem, fantastic work.

Joe
    This discussion was on the A2A forum I believe and someone posted a pics of Air Force 1.... pole to the front, both sides.

Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus N210MS View Post
    has anyone done this baby yet?
    I did a paint of Whiskey Seven for version 2 as well: http://aussiex.org/forum/index.php?/...-whisky-seven/

and here's the Alaska one:
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

Quote Originally Posted by Alky View Post
    This discussion was on the A2A forum I believe and someone posted a pics of Air Force 1.... pole to the front, both sides.
    Yes, again, that's THE one of 2 options.

You will never see a flag with the flapping/loose end opposite from the pole pointing forwards on the LEFT side of a plane.
    It DOES however happen on the right side, as flags are traditionally drawn as viewed with the pole on the left and loose end on the right.

Simplest way to put it....on the left side of the plane the USA and/or AUS flag should always have the stars/Union Jack on the left.
    On the right side of the plane they can be either way, depending whether it is treated/interpreted as a 'logo' or a 'flag'...

Jafo - re the logo on VH-AEQ all I can say at the moment is I posted on PPrune (Professional Pilots Rumour Network) about the Logo and AEQ, a lot of views (hundreds) so far but no responses, some old bugger will remember it I hope.

Quote Originally Posted by BendyFlyer View Post
    Jafo - re the logo on VH-AEQ all I can say at the moment is I posted on PPrune (Professional Pilots Rumour Network) about the Logo and AEQ, a lot of views (hundreds) so far but no responses, some old bugger will remember it I hope.
    Thanks for helping....hopefully someone can shine some light....

Meanwhile....back to these bloody flags....here I was looking at doing another paint..... VH-TMQ.... a really shiny one...still buzzing around in Oz.... and here's the rub....
    2 photos....same plane...same side of same plane....

....tends to make you want to cry....

However.....

Every photo I have found has the flag shown as it is required to be on the left side...all have the Union Jack on the left, closest to the front of the plane.

Clearly on the right side they just couldn't decide whether to depict a flag...or an emblem....so used both at different times instead.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails back.jpg   front.jpg  

Members who have read this thread: 19