Some C-47 V3 Feedback - Page 7
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Some C-47 V3 Feedback

Manfred- I am both humbled and astounded at the commitment you continue to display to this labor of love. Thank-you Sir!

For me the most significant issue remaining is the FDE and interaction between thrust and yaw. There are points where there is a sudden increase/decrease in yaw (and corresponding redder application need) which the original FDE did not have.... circuits and bumps show this well.... as it is accentuated in climbing and descending turns.

Is is there work being done in this area (w/ Alex)?

Best- Carl

The interaction between thrust and yaw seems right to me. Not a Dak pilot, nor even multi-engine rated, but on most aircraft you need to hold a bit of right rudder in the climb and a bit of left rudder in the descent, due to high power settings in the climb and low power settings in descent. Is this what you are referring to?

No- I am referring to the spurious changes in yaw correction necessary when adjusting pitch and power. The old FDE was smooth and predictable.

C
    Last edited by cavaricooper; September 24th, 2016 at 09:03.

Here is a little something I found very amusing.

http://www.dc-3.co.za/dc-3-gooney-bird-song.html

Scroll to the bottom of the thread and click on the record.

Cheers Chris

Quote Originally Posted by speedy70 View Post
    Here is a little something I found very amusing.

http://www.dc-3.co.za/dc-3-gooney-bird-song.html

Scroll to the bottom of the thread and click on the record.

Cheers Chris
    Loved it. Tapped my toes all of the way thru.

Tom

Hi Folks,

Do not wish to say anything negative, but how do you turn down/off the seat rattle noise when viewing the aircraft from outside when taking off, its masking the lovely engine music which has been so lovingly constructed!, its fine inside but distracting when viewing from, say, the tower!

Any one know of a way that the checklists can be modified. There is one item I wish to delete at the very end on the "Shut Down Checklist" since I use GSX Ground Support. I want to leave the battery on so my passengers can see to disembark. I also noticed that there is no item to turn off the seat belt sign in the Shut Down Checklist.

I looked all over my files but can find nothing except the "htm" file...but modifying this does not change the reading of the checklist.

Thanks for any help.

I tried to feather the props at 1700 rpm during the engine run up, but the feathering switches do not seem to work. All they do is kill the engine. Am I doing something wrong or is the feathering feature not implemented? Thanks.

Bill

Did you pull out feathering after 200 rpm drop?

How do I pull it out- just click on it again?

Sorry for the delayed response, I have hoped for the right people to answer your query. I haven't installed the plane right now, so I don't know. I simply quoted the real-life manual.

Quote Originally Posted by billhuntsman View Post
    I tried to feather the props at 1700 rpm during the engine run up, but the feathering switches do not seem to work. All they do is kill the engine.
    Bill
    Maybe you don't understand what "feathering" is. (?)
    Feathering is used on an engine that's not running, usually in flight. Feathering turns the prop angle so it cuts into the wind in a forward knife-like position so that the prop doesn't rotate with the wind causing the dead engine turn uncontrollable RPM's. I'm not a pilot nor have I had any pilot training so I'm not really good with technical aircraft lingo, but that's basically it. You don't use feathering in normal flight, it's meant to be used an a dead engine. maybe someone with better technical knowledge can explain it better.

Alky, I appreciate your attempt to help me, but I do understand what feathering is. I was not in flight. I was doing an engine run-up on the ground and following a real DC-3 checklist. Feathering buttons are often tested this way to be sure they will feather and unfeather during flight if needed. I was looking for an expected rpm drop while feathered and a return to normal during unfeathering, similar to testing the prop pitch controls. However, the feathering buttons on this panel seem to kill the engine rather than feather the props. When I click on them, the rmp drops quickly until the engine stops, and when the engine does stop the prop is not feathered. There seems to be no way to stop the engine from dying.

I suspect that either the feathering buttons are not yet modeled on this plane or that this is some kind of fsx bug. In the meantime, if I do get an engine fire or failure during flight, I guess I will just have to move the prop lever to full coarse setting and hope that that works.

Quote Originally Posted by billhuntsman View Post
    I appreciate your attempt to help me, but I do understand what feathering is. I was not in flight.
    Ok, as I said I'm no aircraft expert but my experience with feathering a running engine in the flight sim has always been that it kills the engine, and not just on the MJ model. <

I'm getting on very well with this remarkably brilliant creation, loving it. Many thanks to all involved with it's inception. I think it's a testament to the cooperation and passion that are hallmarks of the Outhouse at its best.

Just a couple of questions for those much wiser than I, which means pretty much everyone here;

1) I'm currently planning on recreating some of the memorable flights of Ernest Gann, I love the fact that the CP is called Ernie!, his time flying AM 21 and then later, during the war his flights across to Greenland, Iceland and the UK and would love to check out the various liveries that might best be worn by the bird when conducting those flights.

2) Opening a window in the cockpit on the apron doesn't increase outside sound. How difficult would it be to implement this myself with some coding. Or has this been done? I know much has been added over the years like the superb cockpit lighting.

I have C 47v3.14 installed.

Many thanks.
    Jim
    NAVIGATION; The art of knowing where you are without having to crash into it first.

Quote Originally Posted by Ganter View Post
    1) I'm currently planning on recreating some of the memorable flights of Ernest Gann, I love the fact that the CP is called Ernie!, his time flying AM 21 and then later, during the war his flights across to Greenland, Iceland and the UK and would love to check out the various liveries that might best be worn by the bird when conducting those flights.
    2) Opening a window in the cockpit on the apron doesn't increase outside sound. How difficult would it be to implement this myself with some coding. Or has this been done? I know much has been added over the years like the superb cockpit lighting.
    Regarding the windows, when open you get a "Clear Prop" callout on engine startup and wind noise when going faster than 50 knots. Additional ambient sound files could be added I suppose; Daniel's code is in file panel\DGSounds\KeyEvent_SND_C47.xml (search for "wind"). A2A's "Accu Feel" offers many additional effects.

Quote Originally Posted by mjahn View Post
    Regarding the windows, when open you get a "Clear Prop" callout on engine startup and wind noise when going faster than 50 knots. Additional ambient sound files could be added I suppose; Daniel's code is in file panel\DGSounds\KeyEvent_SND_C47.xml (search for "wind"). A2A's "Accu Feel" offers many additional effects.
    Thanks but I was thinking more of existing exterior engine sounds increasing, etc
    Jim
    NAVIGATION; The art of knowing where you are without having to crash into it first.

Members +
    Used to live in Oregon, but have sort of oozed down to Georgia.

Wonderfully done, a true beauty in flight...

About 20 years ago I broke my leg (femur, to be precise) and was in a funk. My wife/boss brought me a
    video game to make my healing go easier. CFS2 became my life-line to sanity. I have always been a sky
    watcher and so from CFS2 I progressed onto Microsoft Flight 2002, 2004 all the way to FSX. Through
    the vagaries of life I have had several copies of each, and quite frankly, played the hell out of
    them. Now just over a year ago I got bored with the whole mess and even though I had been toying with
    an idea of pole to pole and then around the world, I could not find a quality aircraft to do it with.
    If I could go for speed or style, I wanted style in the form of the Douglas C-47, but couldn't find
    to to fit my wishes. Payware or freeware. So I said a bad word (actually a series of them, in tandem, not truly caring who heard) causing one grandson and two granddaughters to run squealing off to rat me out to their moms. So I stopped playing flight games for a while in disgust. Then (Angelic Singing
    in background) I stumbled on to the DAKOTA DIGITAL WORKS Douglas C-47R Skytrain V3.14 Beta and the
    Heavens opened up, the sun shone once again, birds sang and I was able to see. This is by far the
    most detailed and lifelike aircraft to come down the pike in quite a while. And payware or not, by
    far the best. I had flown every DC3 and C47 I could, payware included and Manfred Jahn's other models
    of this airplane, while good, even great, there was always something amiss. Wanting to fly level with
    the tail above the wings at any speed was my biggest gripe. But this one won my heart and respect
    once again for the whole group. Setting behind the yoke and just taking in the panel was
    breathtaking. And at night, OMG, it truly comes alive. Just the panel lights will make you believe in
    fairies and Pirates and everything Peter Pan did...Its perfect... So perfect that I'm now well into Mexico on my way to Antartica. Thanks for this fine aircraft, thank you thank you thank you...

Members +
    Used to live in Oregon, but have sort of oozed down to Georgia.

Ganter, in regards to the sound...

You might try going into the settings and looking at the way the sound is set. I have had to do that several times. Once with this aircraft...

Members who have read this thread: 0