Douglas C-47 V3 Beta Released - Page 24
Page 24 of 30 FirstFirst ... 14161718192021222324252627282930 LastLast

Thread: Douglas C-47 V3 Beta Released

Fuel Pumps

When using the Pilot checkoff list, I'd like to know why the fuel pumps are switched on after airborne? And why are they called to be switched off after landing?
    When do we use the boost pumps? I always thought that a fuel pump is something that pumps fuel. If the fuel pump in my car croaked, I'd be walking.

I'd sure like a copy of this paint, pretty please. Thank you.

Here is a document that should answer any questions.
    PAN AMERICAN WORLD AIRWAYS SYSTEM
    Regards,
    Nick

[QUOTE=gray eagle;1039129]When using the Pilot checkoff list, I'd like to know why the fuel pumps are switched on after airborne? And why are they called to be switched off after landing?
    When do we use the boost pumps? I always thought that a fuel pump is something that pumps fuel. If the fuel pump in my car croaked, I'd be walking.

Using the term "Fuel Pumps" is somewhat of a misnomer...the checklist really should say "Boost Pumps". On any aircraft there are a number of fuel & boost pumps. Usually one "Fuel Pump" on each engine, that is driven by the engine and can not be turned on or off. Then there are usually one "Boost Pump" (electric motor driven) per fuel tank, but sometimes just one "Boost Pump" inline from the tanks to each engine.

The usual procedure is to turn on the Boost Pumps to start the engines, otherwise there would be no fuel going to the engine until it started running. Once it starts the Boost Pumps are turned off as the engine pump takes over to keep fuel pressure to the engine. Then, just before takeoff, the Boost Pumps are turned back on, for safety in case there is a failure of the engine driven pump on takeoff, and left on until a reasonable altitude is reached and then they are turned off. They are turned off at altitude to prevent pre-mature failure due to wear of the components. Then, again, for safety, they are turned back on for landing (in case of engine pump failure on approach)...once landed they are no longer needed so again are turned off.

My checklist has the "Fuel" (Boost) being turned OFF (not ON) after airborne...I assume that is what you meant.

Hope this helps.

Appreciate the tome, but I was interested in the short version answers.

I waded thru this and only thing mentioning fuel pumps was this statement:

l0. Q. Assume a failure of the right fuel pump and fuel in
    the right main tank only. How should the fuel valves
    be set?

Edit: found this to be of some help:

http://www.freechecklists.net/Resour...%28C47_DC3%29/

Quote Originally Posted by ncooper View Post
    Here is a document that should answer any questions.
    PAN AMERICAN WORLD AIRWAYS SYSTEM

This C-47 is a fantastic piece of freeware... THANK YOU!!!

Thursday, November 27 2014 I Lost My Best Friend My Uncle! He Was Amazing person He was a volunteer For Las Vegas metro Police he will be missed, I Volunteer with him Many Times With LVMPD And USFS

THOMAS CURTIS
    Thursday Nov 27th 2014

==Punisher of Arizona == Thin Blue Line

[QUOTE=triflyman;1039142]
    Quote Originally Posted by gray eagle View Post
    When using the Pilot checkoff list, I'd like to know why the fuel pumps are switched on after airborne? And why are they called to be switched off after landing?

Using the term "Fuel Pumps" is somewhat of a misnomer...the checklist really should say "Boost Pumps". On any aircraft there are a number of fuel & boost pumps. Usually one "Fuel Pump" on each engine, that is driven by the engine and can not be turned on or off. Then there are usually one "Boost Pump" (electric motor driven) per fuel tank, but sometimes just one "Boost Pump" inline from the tanks to each engine.

The usual procedure is to turn on the Boost Pumps to start the engines, otherwise there would be no fuel going to the engine until it started running. Once it starts the Boost Pumps are turned off as the engine pump takes over to keep fuel pressure to the engine. Then, just before takeoff, the Boost Pumps are turned back on, for safety in case there is a failure of the engine driven pump on takeoff, and left on until a reasonable altitude is reached and then they are turned off. They are turned off at altitude to prevent pre-mature failure due to wear of the components. Then, again, for safety, they are turned back on for landing (in case of engine pump failure on approach)...once landed they are no longer needed so again are turned off.

My checklist has the "Fuel" (Boost) being turned OFF (not ON) after airborne...I assume that is what you meant.

Hope this helps.
    It does, thanks.

Here the fuel pressure seems to be quite high in cruise even without the boost. Mp 36 rpm 2300. It is over the green arc.

SOH Staff .."Bartender" AussieMan's Avatar
    With the dearth of C-47s/DC-3s being produced lately may I dare to stick my toe into the water regarding the Viewmaster and the 8 window models?

I have seen Viewmasters as either C-47 or DC-3 models. I have enclosed a link that shows several airlines that flew the Viewmaster in Australia, Hawaii and the US. In fact a good friend of mine flew the Viewmaster for Airlines of NSW here in Australia.

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=v...AQIIQ&dpr=1.25

Cheers
    Pat

"Some people might say that freedom is being alone in the bush with the only sounds being the murmurs from the birds ... but I believe freedom is at 5000 feet with no other sound than the engine roaring."- William Hutchison, a young man taken from us far too young (16).

[QUOTE=triflyman;1039142]

Hope this helps.
    Fuel boost pumps may also be used when ambient air temperatures are above 30C. This pressurization of the fuel line tends to minimize vapor lock during hot weather operation. The pumps are usually turned off during engine run up, then back on until after airborne or outside air is below 30C.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Appreciate the tome, but I was interested in the short version answers.

I waded thru this and only thing mentioning fuel pumps was this statement:

l0. Q. Assume a failure of the right fuel pump and fuel in
    the right main tank only. How should the fuel valves
    be set?

Edit: found this to be of some help:

http://www.freechecklists.net/Resour...%28C47_DC3%29/
    In short, boost pumps ON for engine start (off after start), boost pumps on for Take-off/Landing (to guard against engine pump failure) and finally to overcome vaporisation of fuel at high outside ambient temperatures. Fuel system pumps are to move fuel from tanks to engine only where required.

In some aircraft boost pump pressure was too high at high ambient temperatures and would flood the engine so they were used like primers (not the DC-3). The question in the instructors manual is too see if the student pilot understood the crossfeed functions of the fuel tank selectors.

Hi Alan,

Quote Originally Posted by Alan_A View Post
    I used Accu-Feel in some of my beta test flights, then turned it off. Found it got in the way of the native sounds. I like Accu-Feel in general but it's not needed here. The package can stand on its own.
    Can you explain your findings a bit more? Which native sounds were blocked? So far i noticed not so much myselve, could mean nothing ofcourse ;-)

Thx,

Marcel

Noticed the following on my 2nd flight:

- Comm 2 Inop

- CA Overhead Panel and FO Overhead...none of the switches work. Seems these are the only two windows where things don't work.

Is this normal or is there something I need to do to get things working?

Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by mgr View Post
    Hi Alan,

Can you explain your findings a bit more? Which native sounds were blocked? So far i noticed not so much myselve, could mean nothing ofcourse ;-)

Thx,

Marcel
    I don't know that any were blocked - "drowned out" is more like it, in particular the brake sounds and cabin rattles when heard from the VC. When I shut down Accu-Feel, I was able to hear the native brake sounds and rattles, which are more subtle. A possible contributing factor - my Accu-Feel settings for the C-47 had the brake sounds dialed way up, and the cabin integrity set to "bucket of bolts." So those sounds were pretty pronounced. If your Accu-Feel is at default settings, or at least something more restrained, then the Accu-Feel sounds might blend better. I'd recommend trying it with and without Accu-Feel (just toggle it on and off via the pull-down menu when the C-47 is loaded) and see which you prefer. It has no impact on performance that I could see, so it's strictly a matter of what you like best. Hope this helps!
    "Ah, Paula, they are firing at me..."

-- Saint-Exupery

Quote Originally Posted by Alan_A View Post
    I don't know that any were blocked - "drowned out" is more like it, in particular the brake sounds and cabin rattles when heard from the VC. When I shut down Accu-Feel, I was able to hear the native brake sounds and rattles, which are more subtle. A possible contributing factor - my Accu-Feel settings for the C-47 had the brake sounds dialed way up, and the cabin integrity set to "bucket of bolts." So those sounds were pretty pronounced. If your Accu-Feel is at default settings, or at least something more restrained, then the Accu-Feel sounds might blend better. I'd recommend trying it with and without Accu-Feel (just toggle it on and off via the pull-down menu when the C-47 is loaded) and see which you prefer. It has no impact on performance that I could see, so it's strictly a matter of what you like best. Hope this helps!
    This was very much my experience and I had Accu-Feel set to default. Once I turned Accu-Feel off I just felt like the built in sounds were just fine and was happy with it as is. Agree that you just need to try it both ways and see what you like.

I know there have been several discussions about the "F" keys not being standard but has anyone found a way to change them to standard?

Please share it if you have.

Thanks.

I removed the camera configuration entries from the aircraft.cfg file.
    Regards,
    Nick

[QUOTE=GreyEagle When using the Pilot checkoff list, I'd like to know why the fuel pumps are switched on after airborne? And why are they called to be switched off after landing?
    .[/QUOTE]

Just to add further on this the C47 fuel is mechanically pumped through by the engines so when the engines are running there is no need for the fuel switches to be left on during flight apart from temperature changes, take-off and landings as written earlier equally, you would not be able to start the engines without the fuel switches being selected to on.

Regards
    Nigel.

Realistic

After a few thousand hours as a "Boeing-trained" flightsim B737NG pilot with a number of VA's I had to learn how to realistically start a vintage piston engine when I started flying the A2A B-17G with the 91st. The C-47 V3 starts much the same way being of that generation of Wright Cyclones and P&W engines, I do anyway and it starts perfectly. Its easier to prime with the electric primer than the B-17s hand pump, too. Felt like I needed 3 hands not having a REAL co-pilot to do it. Great job, guys. I'm having a lot of fun flying it on the Southern Airways schedule in the 60's into all the east coast and central US vintage sceneries that I was able to find and download.

Some More Good Information

Here is a really good, clear C47/DC3 Manual I found by accident this morning and am sharing:

<cite class="_Rm">dakotanorway.no/test/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/OCM-D-Main-01.01.10.pdf

</cite>

Thanks...I'll give that a try when I get back home.

Any word on basic cockpit lighting coming to P3D? I think a bunch of pages back someone did an FSL spotlight mod - but I don't have that.
    FAA ZMP
    PPL ASEL

| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | EVGA GTX1080 Ti | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X |

After getting home, looked at the aircraft.cfg entries and found none titled "camera configuration". So assumed (always a dangerous thing to do) you were talking about the "Cameradefinition" entries...but saw there were 13. Afraid that if I removed all of them I would have none...except the VC...so looked more carefully and found on titled "CA Standard"...which was the title of the one that came up with the F11 key. Then saw that it had at the end "HotKeySelect=3" so took a chance that was the line causing it to show up with the F11 key and "//" it out. That fixed it so my F11 now goes to the normal External Snap View. I left F10 and F12 as was as I use those on a New Window when starting up the engines.

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanbatc View Post
    Any word on basic cockpit lighting coming to P3D?
    Funny you ask specifically for P3D... As opposed to FSX 'basic' VC lighting in P3D does already work..? (atleast in P3Dv2, i don't know about v3 yet..) I am working on 'full' VC lighting for FSX right now. Various kinds of ambient light, fluorescent panel light, individual spotlights (atleast that's on my work order.. ;-)

cheers,
    jan

Quote Originally Posted by triflyman View Post
    After getting home, looked at the aircraft.cfg entries and found none titled "camera configuration". So assumed (always a dangerous thing to do) you were talking about the "Cameradefinition" entries...but saw there were 13. Afraid that if I removed all of them I would have none...except the VC...so looked more carefully and found on titled "CA Standard"...which was the title of the one that came up with the F11 key. Then saw that it had at the end "HotKeySelect=3" so took a chance that was the line causing it to show up with the F11 key and "//" it out. That fixed it so my F11 now goes to the normal External Snap View. I left F10 and F12 as was as I use those on a New Window when starting up the engines.

Hope this helps.
    You little rippa!! Thank you very much for this tip!

Cheers,
    Tim.

Members who have read this thread: 9