F-80 Texture Redux - Page 2
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: F-80 Texture Redux

It's looking great. I've been down with some kind of stomach bug the past couple of days, but I did get started on a couple of F-80s doing what I could without the bare metal bits.
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

Ok, I think I'm there....99% Just need to tweak the wings spec a touch. Then I'll wrap up all the PSD's into a nice paint kit format and send them off to Willy! And so that it's easy to place the painted parts directly into the correct spot. Then anyone can paint the beast! You can see the difference between this soon to be released chromated aluminum and the reflective natural aluminum in the screen with the Milviz F-86. trying to go for a different look in the F-80.

MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO
    Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

Flying the saber beside the shooting star really goes to show the difference between the first-generation Jet and basically 2nd generation jet fighter. The Sabre is so much more the airplane. Nimble and more powerful. Not to mention aesthetically pleasing!
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

Quote Originally Posted by 000rick000 View Post
    Flying the saber beside the shooting star really goes to show the difference between the first-generation Jet and basically 2nd generation jet fighter. The Sabre is so much more the airplane. Nimble and more powerful. Not to mention aesthetically pleasing!
    I think 'they' got it right with the F105D .....have loved its shape since I first saw a photo around 1960 ...

I must be weird as I've always like the first generation jet fighters.

Quote Originally Posted by Willy View Post
    I must be weird as I've always like the first generation jet fighters.
    I must be weird too, always found this jet quite attractive, even as a humble Kansas ANG target tug ( thanks to falcon409 for the hi res paint ! )

Rick, looks fantastic in the video. I'm glad to help with TP - let's define the desired end result with this F-80, and see if my TP knowledge matches up (or not!).

You are a texture master, so remember that the F-80 was used by The Acrojets, one of the first USAF demo teams. I think the sim world needs a four-ship of those!

On the model, any way to remove that thick cable that is a crude representation of a radio aerial? Invisible is probably better than too thick, if a choice must be made. If impossible to remove, can it be lightened in color considerably? Or made reflective to almost disappear?

Toby

I'm going to have to send the model to Henk and Willy in order for them to have textures work correctly but also for Henk to be able to modify it a bit more...if possible? Henk, is it possible to allow for each type of drop tank to be selected from a single aircraft...that way we don't have to assign materials except to the drop tanks models and not the entire aircraft? If it's possible to add the bombs...then we could have a single.model that incorporates everything and Toby could add Tacpack to it? I know that may be an easier said then done question....
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

Rick, you need at least 2 sets of models because the F-80B has a different exterior than the F-80C. As for the F-80C, it is not difficult to make a single model with payload weight configurable bombs and 3 tank options (standard Lockheed 165 gallon, Misawa 260 gallon and fletcher 230 gallon tanks).
    At the moment the F-80B radio aerial is welded together with some other parts sharing the same black texture (CPit_Gray). With some effort it can be separated and removed or assigned to a different material texture/color to make it less pronounced.

Copy that. I'll convert the F80C as well then. It really shouldn't take.that much effort. I'm going on 9 days of vacation so I should be able to get this all oit by end of weekend! Hopefully! Thanks!
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

Quote Originally Posted by 000rick000 View Post
    Copy that. I'll convert the F80C as well then. It really shouldn't take.that much effort. I'm going on 9 days of vacation so I should be able to get this all oit by end of weekend! Hopefully! Thanks!
    No need for you to convert the C model, if you can share your converted B model, I can copy the material properties over to the C model.

Perfect! I'll send that to you after work today. Big thanks!
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

Quote Originally Posted by mig21bis View Post
    (...) On the model, any way to remove that thick cable that is a crude representation of a radio aerial? Invisible is probably better than too thick, if a choice must be made. If impossible to remove, can it be lightened in color considerably? Or made reflective to almost disappear?

Toby
    Toby, is this better? I reduced the thickness of the aerial 50%. If I make it thinner it is only visible if zoomed in very close.

Henk check your PM
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

The panel lines I sent Rick were for a A or B model as I was mostly doing B models when I did them. There's a few small differences for a C, but I could easily send those on if needed.

Spoiler Alert

Here's a work in progress F-80C. Just the fuselage so far, but the wings and tail will be standard F-80 stuff with no special markings. The wing tanks will be different as well. I messed around with this one last year, but couldn't seem to get the sharks mouth to look right. It's got a few small adjustments to be made, but it's pretty much ready for some new shiny metal.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Flt 19-2016-jul-30-001.jpg  

Excellent work Willy! I just got the new models back from Henk...If you can send me the panel lines for the "C" model, if they are different...then I can make the bumps for It.
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

Won't take but a few minutes. Got to remove one panel & screws on the tail and add a vent on the fuselage.

Thanks to all of you guys working together on this! It's beautiful and I can't wait to take it for a flight or 20!

Quote Originally Posted by mig21bis View Post
    You are a texture master, so remember that the F-80 was used by The Acrojets, one of the first USAF demo teams. I think the sim world needs a four-ship of those!

Toby
    All 4 were done for FS 2004 as a set with a modified aircraft.cfg. I've got them and the credits are for G. Flores of Midnight Aviation but I think I probably got them at FlightSim. I wish I did know who he is as for FS 2004, they're pretty good work. I've had a mind to do them for FSX myself for a while, but there's a bunch more ahead of them if I ever do get around to them. And I'll need to research them a bit more before I could start. It's a pretty simple paint scheme, but I do have a few concerns about coloring etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Willy View Post
    All 4 were done for FS 2004 as a set with a modified aircraft.cfg. I've got them and the credits are for G. Flores of Midnight Aviation but I think I probably got them at FlightSim. I wish I did know who he is as for FS 2004, they're pretty good work. I've had a mind to do them for FSX myself for a while, but there's a bunch more ahead of them if I ever do get around to them. And I'll need to research them a bit more before I could start. It's a pretty simple paint scheme, but I do have a few concerns about coloring etc.
    Yes, I'm too busy to produce actual paints for this one outside the work I'm doing now. I'll leave it to Willy and anyone one else to populate the paints...Willy's got some good ones in the pipeline and Toby will likely be able to get TP enabled for a pretty good redux release of this great freeware aircraft. A little TLC goes a long way!
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

Thank you gentlemen for all of the work you are putting into this project. Very much appreciated and really looking forward to it.

Repaint wip....your paintkit is going to be a major help with this.

I've got several paint schemes that I did last fall "roughed in" for redoing now along with a few new ones.

Guess I need to figure out the Fletcher tank mapping for the ANG ones.

The way it stands now:

1. Fletcher tanks and the ANG birds are one model.

2. F-80B is one model with selectable drop tanks by weight

3. F-80C is one model with selectable drop tanks (x3 variants, standard, misawa round tip, Misawa pointed) by weight. And selectable bombs by weight.

The Fletcher tanks are a seperate texture file on their own. I haven figured out the Misawa ones yet. Need to add specuar to those.

The paint kit is almost ready. I'm just need to create the C model bumps for the fuselage. We're almost there!
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

Quote Originally Posted by bob407 View Post
    Thank you gentlemen for all of the work you are putting into this project. Very much appreciated and really looking forward to it.

Repaint wip....your paintkit is going to be a major help with this.

Bob I want our glass to look like yours currently it does not. That would be my final fix to the materials.
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

Members who have read this thread: 0