Vought OS2U-3 Kingfisher rebuilt for CFS2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vought OS2U-3 Kingfisher rebuilt for CFS2

Vought OS2U-3 Kingfisher rebuilt for CFS2

Hi Folks,
    You know I'm a sucker for a seabird, no matter what flavour it is....

Reading MR's wish list, I thought I'd re-build Piglet's OS2U and add a bit more to it.

So added back in some ani's lost in conversion ie. pilot turning head. I've ani'd the pilot cockpit to the cowl flaps (not built in), so you can crack open his canopy a bit to let him have cool air or have it open fully. The rear canopy opens on the canopy command. I've re-modelled the rear obs so he's holding a set of binos, and now swivels on the tailhook command, along with the mg, to a firing position.

So now you can have separate events (just remember to open the rear canopy as the insurance claim would be high! ;0..ha!).

I've also made built the flaperons to work in CFS2, but no spoilerons (which do not work in CFS2 anyway). Subtle sheen and reflective glass..material not that texture lead thang.

Modded the DP for the correct x2 100lb bomb max, and for the rear mg.

I've always loved the Kingfisher (I know, I know, it's a Brit name...), remember the Airfix box-top?...eeeee them were the days lad. And Tim did a beautiful job of the original, so thank you to him..

Testing now.

Cheers

Shessi
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails OS2U.jpg   OS2U 6.jpg  

Blog Entries

Marvelous... as usual...

Can't hardly wait for this one... guess the He 115 keeps floating away... away... away....................................away...
    But the additions get better, and better, and better.............
    Kudos,
    G.

Sorry G...I can't help myself...I keep, keep getting distracted......but I did do a bit more on the He115 last week, so it's not all bad news, it's not floated that far.

Re the OS2U, it's really down to Tim for the model, tex etc, I've just tweaked / refreshed it, and as I've said it's icing on the already beautiful cake.

Cheers

Shessi

Thanks Shessi, looking forward to it. Long one of my favorite CFS2 planes.

Hi Shessi,

Thanks for doing the conversion on Tim's plane. For us American kids, it was the 1/48 Monogram OS2U Kingfisher kit, one of my favorites!

Kind regards,

TW
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails os2ubt.jpg  
    Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap!

Awesome.

The current conversion is giving me fits. It won't stay on the blasted ship. Hopefully this one will be just what the Doc ordered.
    "Courage is the discovery that you may not win, and trying when you know you can lose."-Tom Krause

My works Here: http://www.thefreeflightsite.com/JFortin.htm

Shessi,

Where are you placing the CoG? Are you making this a true float?
    "Courage is the discovery that you may not win, and trying when you know you can lose."-Tom Krause

SOH-CM-2023
    Blog Entries

Alternative Panel for Piglet's Kingfisher

I love Piglet's OS2U-3, but I'm not crazy about the panel. In Carlton's kff_V2.2 There is a great panel by Casey Priscilla, especially for the OS2U-3. It uses stock gauges, and looks a lot better that the original panel. I have made a few minor modifications, and if anyone wants it. I will send it to them.

'Braveheart (mack)

Quote Originally Posted by braveheart77521 View Post
    I love Piglet's OS2U-3, but I'm not crazy about the panel. In Carlton's kff_V2.2 There is a great panel by Casey Priscilla, especially for the OS2U-3. It uses stock gauges, and looks a lot better that the original panel. I have made a few minor modifications, and if anyone wants it. I will send it to them.

'Braveheart (mack)
    Yes, please send it my way

[QUOTE=Shessi;1033274]Hi Folks,
    You know I'm a sucker for a seabird, no matter what flavour it is....

Reading MR's wish list, I thought I'd re-build Piglet's OS2U and add a bit more to it.

So added back in some ani's lost in conversion ie. pilot turning head. I've ani'd the pilot cockpit to the cowl flaps (not built in), so you can crack open his canopy a bit to let him have cool air or have it open fully. The rear canopy opens on the canopy command. I've re-modelled the rear obs so he's holding a set of binos, and now swivels on the tailhook command, along with the mg, to a firing position.

So now you can have separate events (just remember to open the rear canopy as the insurance claim would be high! ;0..ha!).

I've also made built the flaperons to work in CFS2, but no spoilerons (which do not work in CFS2 anyway). Subtle sheen and reflective glass..material not that texture lead thang.

Modded the DP for the correct x2 100lb bomb max, and for the rear mg.

I've always loved the Kingfisher (I know, I know, it's a Brit name...), remember the Airfix box-top?...eeeee them were the days lad. And Tim did a beautiful job of the original, so thank you to him..

Testing now.

Cheers

]Man this is great, thank you. I also am a sucker for seaplanes and Kingfisher and any BB and CV based float planes have always fascinated me, which is one reason have included them in my upcoming missions/campaigns.What a unique assignment in naval aviation, especially during WW 2.While not as glamorous as operating fighters etc from the CV's, the played important roles and were face with unique challenges and dangers and some performing great acts of bravery.I always think of the Kingfisher off Truk during Hailstone with downed aircrew straddling the floats etc.

Would like to see some skins in future as other operators used them including Soviets.

Soviet Naval Aviation
    2 aircraft on the ship USS Milwaukee (Murmansk)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vought...sher#Operators

That looks to be possable. My quick looking says they were US Gray/White.
    "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!" Some SOH Founder.

This one too. Just about got the main texture "blank" Still have the floats and others to do.

http://wp.scn.ru/en/ww2/h/947/1/0

I'm unsure about the US Gray/White that is said. I wondering if they mean Blue Gray with a White underside.

Shessi,

Great work, Looking forward to DL it.

Regards,
    B24Guy

Quote Originally Posted by dmaloof View Post
    Not sure how much I'd trust that. Its a very poor translation with many errors. It states that it was an ex-Italian ship Milwaukee. Returned to American. Although the facts could be correct enough even if the translation is not.

Here is a good read. The second to last story is the best. IMHO.

http://ussslcca25.com/kingfisher.htm

I'm with Blood Hawk things look lost in translation.

Attachment 40464

I just hope this is the right texture for the model that has been fixed...

SOH-CM-2023
    Blog Entries

Panel

Here is the panel from kff_v1.2 I used as alternative to Piglet's. Thank you for your many requests.

Braveheart
    Attached Files Attached Files

Alpine, CA in San Diego's beautiful back country!

Icon22

I can only repeat what I said in an earlier post on a different thread:

Thank you Shessi!
    MR
    "A sandwich and a cup of coffee, and then off to violin-land, where all is sweetness and delicacy and harmony, and there are no red-headed clients to vex us with their conundrums.”

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH
    MR Albums at SOH MR Web Site

Thank you for the panel Braveheart

Quote Originally Posted by Blood_Hawk23 View Post
    Not sure how much I'd trust that. Its a very poor translation with many errors. It states that it was an ex-Italian ship Milwaukee. Returned to American. Although the facts could be correct enough even if the translation is not.

Here is a good read. The second to last story is the best. IMHO.

http://ussslcca25.com/kingfisher.htm
    Agree with John & Allen. Milwaukee was an Omaha Class CL, a 4 stacker replaced a promised Italian war-prize
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Milwaukee_(CL-5)
    Couple of photos here from her Russian service http://www.navsource.org/archives/04/005/04005.htm
    That said, the grey over white scheme looks like a Soviet maritime aviation scheme, probably immediately post-WW2(?), as the photo records indicate the Soviets bothered to repaint the Milwaukee (including white boot-top waterline), makes sense they would also repaint the aircraft.

Does it come with a cup holder???😆

Nice shessi

Charter Member 2011
    Blog Entries
    Hi folks,

Concerning textures for Piglet's Kinkfisher, just have a look in the Library (FS 2004 Military skins - World War II, page 80 when sorted by submitter/ ascending), lots of repaints already done by Steve B (Stalin) for the FS2004 version, including Soviet and fictional Dutch versions.
    Also at least 2 Australian versions.
    Should work without problems for teh CFS2 version, except you have to delete the Glass.bmp.

François

Just wondering if you will address the spray issue with this plane? When using the alt panel(much better than the default) it kills the spray effect when touch water. Hit the L key to try and activate it, it only appears when L key is pressed.

Members who have read this thread: 0