Accurate Panel for Fairey Firefly Mk 1

Thread: Accurate Panel for Fairey Firefly Mk 1

Accurate Panel for Fairey Firefly Mk 1

Any of you panel guys willing to take the AH Firefly Mk I remade by baldy and make an accurate panel for it?
    The current panel looks more like a Hellcat panel.

I know, I am anal retentive and a bit obsessive compulsive.......

That said, I do like accuracy. This is a fine aircraft to fly and dogfight the Zekes with.
    The current panel just looks a bit more ... "fat" than the air frame would suggest.
    Devildog73

Semper Fi
    "Earned RESPECT seldom needs to demand respect"

Blog Entries

I can give it a stab...

Quote Originally Posted by Devildog73 View Post
    Any of you panel guys willing to take the AH Firefly Mk I remade by baldy and make an accurate panel for it?
    The current panel looks more like a Hellcat panel.

I know, I am anal retentive and a bit obsessive compulsive.......

That said, I do like accuracy. This is a fine aircraft to fly and dogfight the Zekes with.
    The current panel just looks a bit more ... "fat" than the air frame would suggest.
    Let me do some research and find an adequate photo... if you know of one... let me know...
    G.

Blog Entries

Fantastic!

I should be able to come out with something decent!!!! Thanks a lot!!!
    G.

gaucho_59,

Try these photos in addition to Finn's information.

Thanks!
    Devildog73

Semper Fi

Blog Entries

Thanks for all the help...

gaucho_59,

Try these photos in addition to Finn's information.

Thanks!
    It is coming along very, very well - if I may say so - should be ready shortly... Your pictures are very much worthwhile...
    Thanks again,
    G.

Quote Originally Posted by gaucho_59 View Post
    It is coming along very, very well - if I may say so - should be ready shortly... Your pictures are very much worthwhile...
    Thanks again,
    G.
    You are the MAN!
    Devildog73

Semper Fi

Blog Entries

Not finished by all means.. but here's a pic of the WIP

You are the MAN!

Actually, I just have to work some more details... it for the most part completed...
    Should be ready pretty soon... Thanks a lot for the line drawings... could not have
    done a thing without them!
    G.

Nice job Gaucho. Presents a good wide view layout of the total cockpit from the pilot's perspective with great detailing. But i can see a couple of problems from the utility side in CFS2. The perspective is a bit too wide from my taste personally, but i can live with it for sure.

The Firefly was designed to perform in the primary role of a fighter, so having a useful gunsight in the sim is important for this model, The biggest problem is the position of the gunsight for accommodating the standard CFS2 reticle. Its set too high and the reflex glass is too small to fit the CFS2 reticle. Maybe a closer perspective (less width) and a wider spacing between the top two gauges -- the altimeter and the attitude indicator -- would allow you to drop the gunsight and broaden its face to install a bigger reflex glass square.

Overall, an outstanding piece considering the limited availability of comprehensive reference material...

"If you're in a fair fight, you didn't plan it right"

Blog Entries

Thanks for the useful comments...

As far as the relative measurements... the bmp is large enough and sufficiently hi-def that it can be cropped to suit
    anyone's preferences... Notwithstanding... if one lowers the gunsight... (which is in the right position now)
    then the flying instruments are obscured...not visible at all...
    My solution to this dilemma would be to just set a point (dot... faint circle... whatever) in the proper place to use as an aiming
    point... basically... the aiming point in the sim is just that... a center for the fire cone... circles, etc. really are only eye candy...
    probably 4 points outlaying the area to center the enemy would be useful (in terms of judging proper distance to initiate firing...
    (or do away with the gunsight bmp altogether)... just having a bull's-eye circle on in the center... or make the gunsight a pop-up
    like the control column (they are all separate layers that can be dispensed with or made to pop-up)... Like have it appear as it shows in
    the jpg I posted when flying... and as one engages in combat it disappears and there is just an aiming circle with a center and crosshairs...
    all of this, of course, making a proper panel config. with proper animation cues...

Personally... I like nicely finished panels to complete the illusion one is in plane... when it comes to WW2 aircraft, I pretty much
    fly VFR.... with no more than a casual glance at the instruments... especially in combat engagements...
    Of course... some folks demand instruments properly calibrated, etc. .... I just fly "game-like"...
    I am working on another version.. closer up... just the panel practically... that might be more suitable for those who fly on a
    more exacting manner... Thanks again for your valuable comments... The artwork is pretty much finished but how to use it
    is open to modifications... (A significant part of my enjoyment in doing panel artwork is just that.. drawing and painting... and
    being happy with the resultant images...)

G.

I think the pop up gunsight would be a great touch and good compromise for the situation to avoid a lot of excess work. It could also be movable in order to position it correctly against the CFS2 gunsight64.bmp reticle.

"If you're in a fair fight, you didn't plan it right"

Blog Entries

Here's it is finalized

Large and hi-def enough to be cropped as wished... as is... or without gunsight and
    the same in separate bmp to be "popped out" when engaging targets... same for control column...
    Changed the size of the gun sight... probably more in tune with the size of the rest of instruments...
    Under the gunsight there is an aiming point in the main panel...

G.

WOW!!!

Devildog73

Semper Fi

Reply...

Gaucho_59,

I gotta go a step further than Devidlog73 on this one. Your work can render people speechless, including me. Well done!
    "Rami"

"Me? I'm just a Sea of Tranquility in an Ocean of Storms, babe."

My campaign site: http://www.box.net/shared/0k1e1rz29h
    My missions site: http://www.box.net/shared/ueh4kazk3v
    My scenery site: http://www.box.net/shared/knb1l0ztobhs2esb14rb

Members who have read this thread: 0