first class simulations lancaster - Page 6
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: first class simulations lancaster

Thank you very much JensOle.

If you ever get to OZ make sure you pop into Canberra and visit the "Australian War Memorial", it is truly an amazing place. Be warned! You will need a whole day (maybe two) to see and read everything.

If you get on their web site they do a live feed every day at closing time in which they choose a fallen person and read out their history followed buy "The Last Post". Very moving.

https://www.awm.gov.au/events/last-post-ceremony/

Cheers,
    Tim.

I make a point of visiting when I'm in Canberra, mainly to check out 'The Wall'.
    The staff do a great job in presenting the exhibits and the have a large number of interesting aircraft in storage.
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Australia is definitely on my list of countries I want to visit and when the time comes I'll try and schedule a visit to The Australian war museum and George.

As the Bomber Command veterans got a rather cold shoulder after the war I'm glad to see this very special Lancaster has become a main exhibit in the "Striking by Night" hall. You can argue all day about the British night bombing campaign against Germany, but personally what strikes me are the extreme brave young men of Bomber Command (BC was an all volunteer service). Just 460 Sqn alone lost over a 1000 men killed over a 3 year period. The extreme stress and horror these men lived and died under is difficult to understand for people of our generation.

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

Beta is available. Feedback is appreciated to make George as accurate as possible!

Lanc_George.zip

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

Quote Originally Posted by JensOle View Post
    Beta is available. Feedback is appreciated to make George as accurate as possible!

Lanc_George.zip
    Thank you JensOle. I will download and check over tonight when I get home from work.

Cheers,
    Tim.

Australia is definitely on my list of countries I want to visit and when the time comes I'll try and schedule a visit to The Australian war museum and George.

As the Bomber Command veterans got a rather cold shoulder after the war I'm glad to see this very special Lancaster has become a main exhibit in the "Striking by Night" hall. You can argue all day about the British night bombing campaign against Germany, but personally what strikes me are the extreme brave young men of Bomber Command (BC was an all volunteer service). Just 460 Sqn alone lost over a 1000 men killed over a 3 year period. The extreme stress and horror these men lived and died under is difficult to understand for people of our generation.
    I could never understand the rationale behind the decision to not grant a campaign medal to the crews of Bomber Command, something that Arthur Harris worked long and hard for.
    Each operational flight by a Bomber Command crew was the equivalent of 'Going over the top' in WW.I parlance, and these airborne assaults went on and on, with crews either dying or reaching their designated number of ops, only to return to operations after a brief respite, usually at an OTU, not exactly a stress free posting.
    And awarding a Campaign ribbon 70+ years on is not a generous gesture in my opinion.
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

SOH Staff .."Bartender" AussieMan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wombat666 View Post
    I could never understand the rationale behind the decision to not grant a campaign medal to the crews of Bomber Command, something that Arthur Harris worked long and hard for.
    Each operational flight by a Bomber Command crew was the equivalent of 'Going over the top' in WW.I parlance, and these airborne assaults went on and on, with crews either dying or reaching their designated number of ops, only to return to operations after a brief respite, usually at an OTU, not exactly a stress free posting.
    And awarding a Campaign ribbon 70+ years on is not a generous gesture in my opinion.
    Noel, I remember reading somewhere that it has something to do with people who today we call dogooders claiming that bombing was indiscriminate and killed many civilians where the Army and the Navy only hit military objects. RAF were not awarded campaign medals at the time was because of the civilian casualties.

Cheers
    Pat

"Some people might say that freedom is being alone in the bush with the only sounds being the murmurs from the birds ... but I believe freedom is at 5000 feet with no other sound than the engine roaring."- William Hutchison, a young man taken from us far too young (16).

The British and commonwealth political leaders tried their best at wash their hands after the war on the expense on the men they had sent into the meat grinder over the night skies of Germany. It was the political leaders with Churchill in front which were in charge of the plan of strategic night bomber. Churchill himself gave the go ahead for the Dresden raid, something he tried his best of hiding after the war. Even for a man like Harris it would have been impossible to make up his own bombing campaign against Germany (this campaign was extremely resource and manpower intensive and was a clearly political choice to make a reality) . Bomber command often lost more men in a single raid than Fighter Command lost during the entire Battle of Britain, still the men virtually got no political recognition after the war. Not until our days have this changed with dedicated bomber command memorials. I would also believe that the last two flying Lancasters have a rather important mission as living memorials to these men.

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

Pat, targeting civilians indiscriminately for no tactical gain other than to crush moral is a war crime no matter what side your on, only the victors have the choice to trial their own, its anyway now we are getting into politics

It tend to be up to the victors to say what is war crimes or not.. In general the total war situation as ww2 was is difficult for us today with our value set to imagine. In general it seems that bombing of cities were not seen as war crimes by any of the fighting nations. With todays view Churchill, Roosevelt and Truman would be equally guilty as Hitler after the bombing campaigns they led against populated cities. In my view we cannot really judge something which happened for over 70 years ago.

Back on track, my point was that the men of RAF bomber command deserved the same recognition as the men of the other RAF commands for their part in the victory. Something the politicians of the time did not give them.

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

Lanc_George.zip

JensOle I found nothing wrong or out of place with your paint of "G" for George. The only thing is the model (not your fault) is a little different. Your work is spot on and thank you very much for this paint.

On another note I have noticed that my "Nav" lights do not work on my model???? Does yours?

Regards,
    Tim.

I guess the Lanc has blowers/superchargers. Do they work in the FCS simulation?

I just noticed that the Mk.III models have the exhaust covers. People might want to use the this model (or copy the Mk.III model files over to the Mk.I folder) with the wartime B.I paints for external realism. This includes George :-)

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

"The Captains Fancy" JN-M of No 75 (NZ) sqn, C-flight has already been done, but I wanted to give it a try myself as well. It can be compared to G for George in fame with over 100 missions, it survived the war, but sadly not the scrap dealer.. I believe another Lancaster has been painted up to represent this aircraft in N-Z today.

Do anybody know if the serial was stacked on the right side as it was on the left side?

(wip, the nose M font has already been changed)

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

Found this JensOle..

http://www.thescale.info/news/publis...ns-Fancy.shtml

EDIT: Can't find anything to say the serial wasn't stacked on the RH side JO.

ATB
    DaveB

This.. http://www.airpages.ru/eng/uk/lancaster_9.shtml would tend to confirm the side number was JN-* on the RH side but the serial isn't stacked on that airframe.

ATB
    DaveB

Quote Originally Posted by paulopp View Post
    I guess the Lanc has blowers/superchargers. Do they work in the FCS simulation?
    No, but an easy change in the aircraft.cfg will enable/simulate superchargers. I modified the cfg and now the engines still have a good boost @ 30.000 ft. The boost at lo altitude is not effected. In fact the modification comes from the default P51-D in FSX.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by ftl818 View Post
    No, but an easy change in the aircraft.cfg will enable/simulate superchargers. I modified the cfg and now the engines still have a good boost @ 30.000 ft. The boost at lo altitude is not effected. In fact the modification comes from the default P51-D in FSX.

Paul
    I think you'll find that the maximum ceiling for a Lancaster was 24000 ft on a good day. A few years ago I was visiting Just Jane in Kirby and I was informed by some veterans that the usual bombing height for a Lancaster was 18000 ft.

Mike

Yup.. I'd tend to agree with that Mike. Bandying around the web.. the highest quoted figure is 24,500. BSAA flew the Lancastrians a lot lower than the bombers.. well-sub 10K.

ATB
    DaveB

Thanks, gentlemen, for the quick answer. It's a pity, the blower shift is not simulated. In FS9, superchargers were not intended by design (only turbochargers) and you had to meddle with entries for turbochargers, emergency boost, critical altitude and what the hell not, and make calibration flights, to get the right performance figures. FSX-Acc for the first time introduced superchargers, that's what the P-51 was all about to demonstrate.

I just noticed that the Mk.III models have the exhaust covers. People might want to use the this model (or copy the Mk.III model files over to the Mk.I folder) with the wartime B.I paints for external realism. This includes George :-)
    Eek! You're right. I believe most wartime BI aircraft had these as standard. I'd certainly not have wanted to fly at night without them.

Dave

I have found several pics of other 75 sqn lancaster and it looks like the stacked the serial on the left side due to the sqn practice of putting the sqn code letters aft of the roundel on the left side. Pictures shows ordinary serial on the right side.

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

Yup.. that's the impression I got too JensOle

ATB
    DaveB

"The Captains Fancy" JN-M of No 75 (NZ) sqn, - I believe another Lancaster has been painted up to represent this aircraft in N-Z today.
    That is correct the aircraft at MOTAT in Auckland was a French maritime recon aircraft donated to the museum in the 1960s
    http://motataircraft.blogspot.co.nz/...lancaster.html , as for the correct markings I could find that out.

Members who have read this thread: 2