Abrams P-1 Explorer WIP - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Abrams P-1 Explorer WIP

Very nice work on an unusual and unique aircraft!
    The front nacelle reminds me a bit of the Sikorsky S-51 helicopter.

Cheers,
    Mark
    My scenery development galleries:
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/x0skkam7xu8zz8r/DFwnonB1nH

Solomon 1943 V2 Open beta download: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/download...on-1943-V2.zip
    Solomon 1943 V2 update 2013-02-05 download: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/download...2013-02-05.zip

Current Project: DHC-4 / C-7a Caribou by Tailored Radials
    Dev-Gallery at https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qjdtcoxeg...bAG-2V4Ja?dl=0

SOH-CM-2023
    Quote Originally Posted by roger-wilco-66 View Post
    Very nice work on an unusual and unique aircraft!
    The front nacelle reminds me a bit of the Sikorsky S-51 helicopter.

Cheers,
    Mark
    Yes, that thought struck me also.

Just... wow!

Absolutely blown away... great work, and thanks for sharing the progress with everyone.

I love seeing these rare and unusual aircraft come to life! +1!
    VFR Simulations
    www.vfrsim.com

I Luv it! It reminds of the type of vehicle one would see in the 'ol flightsim 'Crimson Skies'.

Blog Entries
    Progress report:

Lots more detail added as illustrated in the screenshots.

I've got a basic cockpit built, textured and animated...no live gauges yet, but placeholders. The cockpit and airplane textures are ready to take into Quixel for hyper detailing. Lighting is live, shown here with A2A Shockwave enabled. All interior surfaces and fabrics are bump mapped and spec enabled. Flying the airplane in changing light will produce wonderful light on the various metal and paint surfaces. Moving through clouds the panel surfaces become vey light dynamic. With the changes in the new P3D it may necessary for devs to build specific models for this version forward, although the airplane works well in FSX, ST and earlier P3D.

All in all, P3D 3.35 and a DX10+ card give a guy a pretty big stick to open the creative doors. IMHO

The cockpit interior reflections are taking on a very realistic representation in P3D with DR enabled. The fishbowl effect is extremely convincing.

Bottom line:
    With multiple 4096x4096 32bit textures, P3D sliders all maxed including Dynamic Reflections, high def PR scenery and heavy density weather...FPS averages around 50 in the air, 35 on the ground. (specs are in my signature).

Thoughts and observations are welcomed.

Prepar3D 3.3.5 | Weather P3D "Building Storms" | REX TD/Soft Clouds | P3D Dynamic Reflections Enabled | KBIH Owens Valley by ******** | KLAS aerial by MSE Terrain

Last edited by gman5250; July 11th, 2016 at 22:01.
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

Blog Entries

He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

It just keeps getting more stunning!
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Milton Shupe View Post
    Thank you sir.
    Thomas Jefferson

wow thats nice.and the owens valley..never been there,but lone pine is my next home...i hope...ive always day dreamed of a plane like this,or something similar,my idea is to have 2 seats right up front in a "glass nose",with a view directly downward as well..maybe the pilot/pilots higher up and behind...the two infront being spotters or observers for fire or law enforcement...or..same idea,only one up front in a movable turret,like the nose turret on a B24,only one with great vis downward...along with the goodies modern electronics give.and optics........oh hell i know what i mean anyway............

That is looking awesome. It <i>is</i> going to be a great exploration plane, after I install new scenery and need to go check it out.

I can't wait to get me new PC built and start flying P3D as well, so I can check out all of those new cool effects.

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    Absolute wow!

Quote Originally Posted by Milton Shupe View Post
    I can only agree................

Huub

I must have been flying too much! Gordon, this is awesome! Incredible good modelling. Never saw this one coming!

Cees

Blog Entries
    I figured that is where the instrument panel would be...simply OUTSTANDING!
    Ted
    Vivat Christus Rex! Ad maiorem Dei gloriam

It truly is a work of art. I imagine the view from the cockpit is awesome, given the position - right out in front! NC

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by txnetcop View Post
    I figured that is where the instrument panel would be...simply OUTSTANDING!
    Ted
    I was lucky enough to get some high res shots of the airframe awaiting restoration at the Smithsonian, but there is not a lot of data on the cockpit layout apart from the hulk as it sits now.
    The instrument layout is a complete scientific wildazz guess. The airplane was pressurized, so I'm setting up that system in the right pilot switch panel array. I can place the hardware and plumbing based on the photos I have.

The rudder pedal setup is very unique for this airplane, and it sits right out in full view...so....I'm trying to suss out how the cables etc. ran at the cockpit bottom. I've got a pretty good idea. Same for the quadrant. The cowl flaps look like they were operated by a large knob/cable setup that runs in a huge, exposed conduit. That one will be really unique and will develop the ambiance in the "office" in a very 30's way.

I've still got to correctly model the pilot and passenger doors, which had a lovely cathedral arch look. Vent windows are in the works tool.

Concurrently, I'm working on another plane at the request of the original developer. That one is in the animation/coding stage with the VC in early modeling stages. I tend to break up projects in order to not get buried.

Hey Cees.
    Funny thing about flying. I go to beta test the model(s) or scenery projects and only get a few minutes of seat time, then go back to the modeling. It's getting to the point where the modeling is more intoxicating than the sim.
    Thomas Jefferson

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
    It truly is a work of art. I imagine the view from the cockpit is awesome, given the position - right out in front! NC
    In the screen caps, the VC shot out the front says it all. With the live lighting and reflections the pilot view is kind of breathtaking. You look down through your legs and see terrain floating by.

Funny thing about that particular screen shot Chief, I was flying the plane on autopilot from KBIH to KLAS which is about an hour and a quarter. I went back to 3DStudio to do some modeling work and when I came back to the sim...there was that incredible view looking east towards Lake Mead. I hit the PrtScn key and saved that gem.
    Thomas Jefferson

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Daveroo View Post
    wow thats nice.and the owens valley..never been there,but lone pine is my next home...i hope...ive always day dreamed of a plane like this,or something similar,my idea is to have 2 seats right up front in a "glass nose",with a view directly downward as well..maybe the pilot/pilots higher up and behind...the two infront being spotters or observers for fire or law enforcement...or..same idea,only one up front in a movable turret,like the nose turret on a B24,only one with great vis downward...along with the goodies modern electronics give.and optics........oh hell i know what i mean anyway............

Well...you need to get out to the Owens Valley ASAP Dave. lol

BTW, I've slated the entire Eastern Sierra from China Lake to Reno Stead for development to the same level you've seen in my screen shots and video. If you haven't seen the video, go to YouTube and search ********...you'll see all my current work there.

If you're going to Lone Pine you'll be looking straight up 15,000ft. at Mt. Whitney. I'll be 3D mesh modeling that whole section of the range when I do the Lone Pine scenery.
    Thomas Jefferson

outstanding work, Gman..thank you for taking the time out to post updates.
    I had seen a few photo's of this airframe in an old copy of Air & Space..totally anachronistic to the '30s era - beautiful design.
    I'm sure you will capture the cockpit experience utterly
    Carry on and thank you for your efforts
    enter..the Sandman

visit Heywood Planes - YouTube

Although not exactly the type of aircraft you'd see doing touch & goes on a carrier, I will have to try it, just for the view from that cockpit! NC

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
    Although not exactly the type of aircraft you'd see doing touch & goes on a carrier, I will have to try it, just for the view from that cockpit! NC
    Stall speed @75 MPH...
    Carrier speed 33 Knots

You'd come over the transom around 45 MPH relative. Easypeasy....
    Last edited by gman5250; July 12th, 2016 at 12:04.
    Thomas Jefferson

Members who have read this thread: 0