Abrams P-1 Explorer WIP
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Abrams P-1 Explorer WIP

Blog Entries

Abrams P-1 Explorer WIP

After doing the conversion on Mr. Shupe's F7F Tigercat, I felt the need to do an airplane from the ground up...so to speak. This is my first ever airplane model but I'm enjoying the learning curve.

I became interested in the Abrams P-1 Explorer after seeing it on another thread, and began doing some research. The model is at a level that I feel comfortable showing the airplane as a WIP. At this point the exterior model still needs some details added and the interior model is a basic place holder. Note that the radial is borrowed from another model I'm working on and will be replaced with the Wright R975 as the model progresses.

This variant is a representation of the original survey airplane with the three blade propeller that was added to the later models just prior to the project being shelved at the start of WWII. It's a shame that this plane never reached it's potential, as the prototypes made 200 MPH @ FL20. Not bad.

The model is being developed for FSX, FSX ST and Prepar3D.

He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    Beautiful modeling. Quite an unusual aircraft that I never heard of. Looking forward to this one.

Nice to see something completely new too

ATB
    DaveB

Fantastic work. Really looking forward to this rare bird.

Wow, never heard about that before. Amazing looking bird. It reminds me of the bad guys plane from "Rocketeer" comic book.
    Last edited by flaviossa; June 28th, 2016 at 08:25.
    Flavio - P3D v4.5 - MSFS 2020 - Win 11 Pro 64
    i912900KF 5.2ghz - ASUS TUFZ690 - AIO Cooler Master PL360 Flux Masterliquid - 32gb Kingston Fury 3600mhz - Asus RTX 2080 Super - AGON 32'' AG323FCXE 165mhz -
    MCP 737R 2015 Virtual Avionics - SSDs M2 2Tb+1Tb XPG

Oddly enough, I'm a bit interested. Probably for the view from the VC.

P.S:
    Wikipedia says this was the first aircraft to use curved plexiglass for its windows.

I came across this Youtube clip a while ago and thought then that it would be great to fly it in FSX.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsaAeLaNr60
    Windows 8.1 64 bit
    P3D v3.4
    P3D v4.5
    FSX-SE
    X-Plane 11

Love it!
    SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

Wow---what an ugly beautiful airplane!
    Can`t wait to fly it.
    Mike

Blog Entries

Absolutely stunning!!!!

Carry on... please...
    G.

What a beautiful model gman. And your textures are superb! I love vintage aircraft and you have found one that sparks the imagination. Looking forward to trying this one out myself.

Paul "Mechanic" Domingue
    Maximum 3ds Maximus

1st Class

Your modeling and texturing are absolutely 1st class...!

Absolute eye candy. The model is great but the texturing is absolutely stunning!

Cheers,
    Huub

That has to be the ugliest thing to take to the sky since the Vickers Wellesley. I want it.

Quote Originally Posted by huub vink View Post
    Absolute eye candy. The model is great but the texturing is absolutely stunning!

Cheers,
    Huub
    Great stuff gman! Love how it's coming together.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

The nose reminds me of the Sikorsky H-5. Looks amazing. Can't wait to fly it

The model looks very nice, crg! ... but can't resist for this comparison :

Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

I really like it, and I think you are knocking it out of the park.

As far as what it looks like to me? The nose is straight out of early Sikorsky helo. R4? Can't remember the designation.

That looks awesome! This is going to be a great touring plane. I remember flying one of these back in either FS2002 or 2004 and I enjoyed it, but this looks outstanding. I also remember the same guy who made the old one also made a four engine pusher prop commuter plane, but I can't remember the make.

You've made a lot of progress since the first pics. Nice work.

Blog Entries
    What Big_Mike said
    Ted
    Vivat Christus Rex! Ad maiorem Dei gloriam

Looking forward to this
    Beautiful modeling and textures as everyone has pointed out
    Rick

Jetline HellFire GT2 FSX PC, Win 7 Pro 64, P3DV3.4.22
    ASRock Fatal1ty Z97 Professional LGA 1150 Motherboard
    Intel Core i7 a770K (4.3GHz Overclocked) Quad Core
    Antec 920 Dual Stage CPU Liquid Cooler
    Nvidia 1GB GeForce GTX 1080 ti
    16GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM 1866MHz
    1TB 7200 RPM Seagate HDD+ 60GB SSD Cache
    Lifetime U.S Based Technical Support

" Don't criticize a man until you walk a mile in his shoes. And then who cares! You are a mile away and you have his shoes!!"

SOH-CM-2023
    Gman:

I am beginning to think that you and Milton Shupe are one and the same -- just a Shapeshifter as the situation requires !!!

Unusual and great choice and looking fine.

Beautiful!

Tommy
    Windows 7 Professional 64 bit, 16 Gigs Ram
    Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower
    ASUS P7P55D Deluxe
    Intel Core i7-860 Lynnfield Quad-Core 2.8 GHz LGA 1156
    ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB 128-Bit GDDR5
    SCEPTRE 27"
    WD Black 1 TB
    ASUS Xonar DS 7.1
    CORSAIR K95 RGB Platnum XT, PBT double-shot keycaps, Cherry MX Blue
    Logitech M510

Really cool project Gordon, always a treat in FS to see something rare and unusual brought to life. Such talent you have and we appreciate it ! Mike

Blog Entries
    Thank you all for your very kind comments.

I'll go out on a limb and speculate that if Mr. Shupe and I are shape shifted...he is by far the better looking of the two.
    I was a bit rushed this AM when I originally posted so I'll expand a bit now that I've got time.

Like I said, this is my first complete build although I have quite a bit of design experience with scenery, specifically in Prepar3D. I'm also spending quite a bit of design time utilizing Quixel for my scenery models. For this model I'm building the cockpit using a modular approach i.e. the quadrant is a separate model as well as the rudder pedals, overhead panel and controls. Each model will be painted using the real time 3D modeling feature Quixel brings to Photoshop. Being able to paint textures and bump maps in real time and three dimensions is a quantum step forward IMHO.

The basic airplane model is being developed around a grayscale skin that is tailored to the Prepar3D light rendering engine and DX10+ capability. For example, the cockpit Plexiglas interior reflections use the new Dynamic Reflections feature in P3D to render real time reflections inside the "office". This is a bit of a challenge because the DR cameras are still a bit underdeveloped IMHO, but should come into focus nicely very much like P3D cloud and shadow rendering has improved with each build.

The exterior model is designed to throw light as realistically as possible before the textures are applied. The textures shown in the screen caps are designed around this modality with some interesting adaptations of alpha and specular values operating in synch with the light engine. The airplane is very dynamic as you pan around in various light conditions.

The one thing I have come to appreciate about this rare airplane is the absolute brilliance of its designer. The platform was intended to provide an unobstructed view for the pilot and cameras, but most will notice that many features of this airplane found their way into service in WWII in one form or another. The airplane was a real performer once it was fitted with the Wright R-975E-1 radial and three blade prop. I've modeled both the two blade and three blade variants, but have shown the #12 bird as more of a restoration version as it might have appeared with the lovely 3 blade pusher configuration. The final model will offer both variants.

The real world airplane had an initial climb rate of 1400 FPM and the FM as it stands now produces a climb rate of about 1000 FPM @ 132 knots.

The nicest aspect of the model as it now stands is the pilots view. When you sit in the seat the view down between the pedals and out the sides creates a sense of flying in a fish bowl. The real world pilot must have felt as if he were suspended in mid air by magic. The dynamic reflections and shadows on the interior plexi create a very realistic sense of immersion when flying over an ORBX or photoreal scenery. I'm really enjoying the beta flying.

With the large wing area and stability resulting from placing torque at the airplane's C/G, the plane achieves lift off easily and flys off with very little wander, even in moderate cross wind. The power to weight ratio is very high, so climb out feels effortless as the plane just kind of floats up to working altitude.

All in all, I'm really glad that I stumbled across this absolute gem.

BTW, I've got another plane on the burner as well...by request. I'm still finishing up the animation and it needs a complete VC, but I'll post more on that a bit later.
    Last edited by gman5250; June 29th, 2016 at 01:19.
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

Members who have read this thread: 0