The Coolest '109' on the Block?

Thread: The Coolest '109' on the Block?

The Coolest '109' on the Block?

Here are some photos of the just-completed Bf-109G-12 (the wartime designation given to the German modified dual-control G's), at MeierMotors in Germany, owned by the Hangar10 museum (also located in Germany - for which the reason there cannot be a swastika on the completed paint scheme). Weight and balance checks were completed today, and I hear that the first test flight is imminent

This aircraft was originally the Spanish-built Buchon that was owned/operated by Harold Kindsvater in the US for many years until it was sold to Hangar10 back around 2010. It was operated in Germany for a short time, in its original Buchon-form, including flying at the Duxford Flying Legends airshow in 2011, until the aircraft suffered a landing accident, requiring some significant repair work to fly again. Since the aircraft would already require some significant work to fly again anyway, Hangar10 seized on the opportunity to convert the airframe to a WWII-stock Bf-109G-12, to serve as a pilot-training and ride-selling platform for the museum (with the museum also owning two other stock single-seat Bf-109's (an E and a G-6) nearing completion to fly). The preserved two-seat Avia-built '109' at the Prague Aviation Museum helped to assist in the modifications required, as well as an original surviving set of German G-12 canopy framing. Firewall-forward, the aircraft has newly-built G-variant cowls, with a Volvo-built-under-license DB605 engine.

The completion of this project follows upon MeierMotors' completion of the Bf-109G-4 last year, owned/flown by the Military Aviation Museum in Virginia Beach.

Photos below all courtesy of MeierMotors.

Original Luftwaffe pilot Karl Fritz was on hand during the aircraft's first engine runs the other day.

"Weight and Balance" just ahead of first flights.

The Hangar10 museum also has a Bf-109G-6 "Black 8" (new build, using some original parts/date plate) and a Flugwerk Fw-190 (the former French-example that ditched in the sea a number of years back) under restoration to fly at MeierMotors as well. Hangar10's Bf-109G-6, seen below, should also be flying very soon as well.

Hangar10's Flugwerk Fw-190 getting paint-

Interestingly, the only other chance of riding in a '109' as a paying customer is currently underway in England, with the restoration of the two-seat Buchon that was used in/for the filming of the movie "Battle of Britain", and which had been one of the dozen or so Buchons that were sold last year, having been all owned/stored by Connie Edwards since the late 60's/early 70's.

Meiers turn out some stunning work. The G-12 looks almost to good to fly!

What's the bet Karl Fritz will be an early candidate for a back seat flight.

Those BF's are Outstanding!! I never thought you could call a Messerschmitt "Beautiful." (Unless you were talking about a 262) It would be like calling an old Jack-knife you fished out of your pocket "Beautiful," and it isn't! It is just a tool! Hard to believe that the dual control is the Kindsvater Buchon. I last saw it at Oshkosh, ('04 if I remember right) and I believe it was Skip Holm who flew it. He basically assured those of us standing there that it wasn't "Fun" to fly. Said it was a real handful.

Here's the Bf-109G-4 that Meiers completed last year. Like the G-12 conversion, this one also was originally a Buchon, but had been converted many years ago for the USAF Museum, which then ended up selling it once they obtained an original. This one is owned by Jerry Yagen/Military Aviation Museum in Virginia Beach, and having already been flight tested in Germany last year, the aircraft has been flying now in Virginia Beach since the "Warbirds Over the Beach" airshow last month.

This one is fitted with the larger "Tropical" oil cooler/lower cowl assembly, as fitted to some G-4's during the war, as it was deemed a safer route to ensure proper cooling in the warm Virginia Beach climate (help the engine last longer).

Gorgeous work! Thanks John for this and all your history lessons on WWII.

Obie

The G-12 is definitely a very special aircraft, but for me not the coolest 109 on the block. For me the Bf109 E-3 from the Flying Heritage Collections is currently the coolest one around.

But that's purely a matter of personal taste.

Cheers,
    Huub

The G-12 flew for the first time today, with renown English warbird pilot Charlie Brown at the controls. Here is video of the first takeoff: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ke58yaG2EXU

(Charlie Brown was also the one who test flew Jerry Yagen's Bf-109G-4, while it was still in Germany, last year, and of course he also flew the Bf-109G-2 "Black 6" quite a bit in the 90's).

On-board camera footage from the first test flight:

Pretty docile stall, barely a wing drop.
    Fly Navy/Army
    USN SAR
    DUSTOFF/ARMY PROPS

Members who have read this thread: 1