New GPU On It's Way

Thread: New GPU On It's Way

New GPU On It's Way

Ever since V2.5 left the building I have been unhappy with P3D. Blurries came back, stuttering came back and I had to sacrifice the perks that were added periodically just to maintain a flyable sim. I feel certain that the main reason for that has been my Graphics Card (a GTX 650Ti with 2gig and 128bit memory interface). . .it was a perfect marriage at 2.5, sharp ground textures, no blurries, no stuttering but beyond that I really believe it lost the ability to keep up with the improvements in the sim.

So I've purchased a new graphics card. . .a Gigabyte GTX 960/OC, 4gig and 256 bit memory interface. Not exactly doubling the capacity of the old one, but an increase that I hope will smooth the Sim out and allow me to enjoy flying in P3D once more. The remainder of my setup, for those who are wondering:

Win7 Home Premium - 64bit. . .16gig
    DirectX runtime version 11.0
    3.9 gigahertz AMD FX -4300 Quad-Core
    Multi-core (2 total)
    Hyper-threaded (4 total)

Anyone else using this card or one similar that can give a general review of how it's working for you? Posted on the P3D Forums but that place is dead most of the time.

Falcon -

I purchased the GTX 970 (EVGA) last July and it has worked flawlessly. I was running a GTX 465 before that. I would give you a head-to-head if I could, but I upgraded my rig at the same time so I'm not sure any meaningful comparison is possible. What I can say is that I have never been happier as far as resolution, FPS, scenery, etc., and I have no doubt the 970 plays a big role in that experience. All that plus running Matrox TH2G on three HP 22" screens, too. Hope you enjoy the new GPU!

Tom
    HP Z420 E5-1660 @ 3.3gHz 6-core running Win 7 64 pro, 8 Gb RAM, EVGA GTX-970, 2 x 240GB SSDs, 3 x HP 2311x (23") w/ Matrox TH2G, plus a lot of Saitek/Logitech stuff to go with it
    ATP, CFI A & I, ME (but not current)

I have a EVGA 960GTX FTW 4 gb card, going from a EVGA 460GTX 1 gb card. I did notice a difference
    in FSX SE right away. With the old card at a detailed airport with lots of AI fps would drop and sometimes
    become a slide show. With the new card at the same place fps will drop to around 20 and sometimes into
    the teens from locked at 30.
    But I know what causes these drops in fps to be the fs9 military AI I use. (civil AI is native) And my rig
    is from the dark ages.

PS.. All my sliders are full right except detailed scenery and that is one click below full right. I am also
    running the sim in DX10 with Steve's scenery fixer.

Joe
    I7 6700K @ 4.8 / Gigabyte Z170X UD3 / 16GB G.Skill TridentZ 3200mhz / EVGA GTX 1070 Ti FTW Ultra 8GB / EVGA SuperNova 750 G2
    Samsung 960 Evo NVMe M.2 250gb Boot Drive / 960 Evo 1 TB SSD - Game Drive / WD Blue 500GB SSD - Sim Drive / WD Black 1TB HD
    Fractal Design Celsius S36 AIO Cooler / Fractal Design Define R6 / LG
    32GK850G-B 32" 1440P 144Hz G-Sync Monitor

Thanks for the input, I'm looking forward to getting the new GPU installed. I know it will make a difference.

If anyone wants a killer deal on a not-that-old 970, I'm replacing one with a 1080...

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    Thanks for the input, I'm looking forward to getting the new GPU installed. I know it will make a difference.
    Seems I misspoke. . .it's actually the "970" that I have coming, not the 960 as I said originally. . .doh!

Members who have read this thread: 0