BPD WIP for FSX/P3D
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BPD WIP for FSX/P3D

BPD WIP for FSX/P3D

Hello all,

I'm posting a few screen shots of my current project. I'malmost done with the exterior model construction. I'm currently mapping andtexturing as I go as you can see by the incomplete textures. I have a millionmore rivets to draw (heavy sigh). Testing is being done in FSX and P3D 2.x andsoon P3D 3.x.

I have been searching and purchasing data for the aircraftbut it is scarce. If anyone has information and is willing to share it with meI would very much appreciate it by adding you to my small list of beta testers when the time comes. I'mprimarily looking for cockpit detail and flight characteristic data.

I hope you like it.

Paul

<strike></strike>

Paul "Mechanic" Domingue
    Maximum 3ds Maximus

Looks great Paul and great to see a Defiant made! If you want a Dx10 tester I'm your man.
    SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

A Bolton Paul Defiant is a most welcome addition to FSX ! Mike

Looks great, interesting seeing a Fighter with a Turret.

Nice choice Paul and looking great! I loved the Jed "Padbury aircraft" Marsh version in CFS2 and I'm convinced I will like this one as well.

Thanks,
    Huub

very nice paul..lookin forward to it.

Wow, that's out standing. I'll go through my books and see if I have any of the information you're looking for.

Blog Entries
    Great choice!!!
    Ted
    Vivat Christus Rex! Ad maiorem Dei gloriam

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Looks great Paul and great to see a Defiant made! If you want a Dx10 tester I'm your man.
    As much as I appreciate all that you are doing for this forum I'm restricting early access to those who submit contributions (data not money) to the development of this aircraft. Not to worry as it will be as all my models are free to all.
    Quote Originally Posted by huub vink View Post
    Nice choice Paul and looking great! I loved the Jed "Padbury aircraft" Marsh version in CFS2 and I'm convinced I will like this one as well.

Thanks,
    Huub
    Thanks to Clive aka Pat Pattle who sent me some documentation on the CFS3 version I have a lot more information on the aircraft. Yes Clive is on my list.
    Quote Originally Posted by Daveroo View Post
    very nice paul..lookin forward to it.
    Thanks Dave, I am appreciative of your support,
    Quote Originally Posted by Sundog View Post
    Wow, that's out standing. I'll go through my books and see if I have any of the information you're looking for.
    Anything you can dig up, please. I have the feeling that there must be some people on this forum that may have access to information that would be of great help in the production of this model. As most of you know I build models as a hobbyist with a passion for aircraft of the era and that the end results will be freeware with the caveat that it be high quality upon release. my intensions are that this model will surpass my duck in every way. I am spending a lot of time working on the pilot and gunner models right now and that is very hard fore me but I will get it done through perseverance.

Paul "Mechanic" Domingue
    Maximum 3ds Maximus

Blog Entries
    Paul - post over at at cbfsim - they focus almost exclusively on British sim topics.

There'd be guys with access to museum specimens, archives, etc.

DL

I second the recommendation to post at CBFSIM.

It sounds to me access to a real cockpit to take measurements and photos would be best. The one at Hendon is unlikely to be accessible. However the nice people at Hawkinge may permit access? If I were closer I'd go there myself on your behalf, but sadly not practical.

I was wondering if she could also be TacPack-ed?

Andy

i9-10900K, 64 Gb RAM, RTX 3090 FE, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Reverb G2

Quote Originally Posted by delta_lima View Post
    Paul - post over at at cbfsim - they focus almost exclusively on British sim topics.

There'd be guys with access to museum specimens, archives, etc.

DL
    Thanks DL, I will check with them. I have contacted the RAF Museum and while they did respond they could only give me further links to try. I'm going to keep digging with the hope of eventually striking gold. I did receive some very nice external photos from hairyspin of the main gear that he had taken at the museum.

Quote Originally Posted by Airtrooper View Post
    I second the recommendation to post at CBFSIM.

It sounds to me access to a real cockpit to take measurements and photos would be best. The one at Hendon is unlikely to be accessible. However the nice people at Hawkinge may permit access? If I were closer I'd go there myself on your behalf, but sadly not practical.

I was wondering if she could also be TacPack-ed?

Andy
    I have seriously been thinking about having it TacPack-ed and having it where it can be a multiplayer shared cockpit and turret gunner. That will be farther down the line after the main model is completed.

Paul "Mechanic" Domingue
    Maximum 3ds Maximus

SOH-CM-2023
    I presume that you have studied Dave Molyneaux's FS9/FSX portover, available at Flightsim since April?
    Keith

I've been through most of my books covering these types and I didn't have what I thought I had. I have a few pages from William Green's, "Warplanes of the Second World War" on the BPD. Let me know if you want me to scan them in for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Dev One View Post
    I presume that you have studied Dave Molyneaux's FS9/FSX portover, available at Flightsim since April?
    Keith
    I'm aware of the model but I'm not studying it. What I have been studying are the Air Ministries' original publications on the Mk.I and Mk.II and Mark Ansell's book on the aircraft.

I've been through most of my books covering these types and I didn't have what I thought I had. I have a few pages from William Green's, "Warplanes of the Second World War" on the BPD. Let me know if you want me to scan them in for you.
    Thank you for the offer. If it has some good cockpit photos I would be interested in seeing them.

Paul "Mechanic" Domingue
    Maximum 3ds Maximus

Hi Paul ,ive supported you and your work,good stuff !

i was laying in bed last night thinking about this plane ,well your making of it,i seem to remember seeing a website that was nothing but those 360 degree views of aircraft cockpits,it was amazing how many were there.ive since lost the link to it,but maybe someone remembers it?..

Quote Originally Posted by Daveroo View Post
    Hi Paul ,ive supported you and your work,good stuff !

i was laying in bed last night thinking about this plane ,well your making of it,i seem to remember seeing a website that was nothing but those 360 degree views of aircraft cockpits,it was amazing how many were there.ive since lost the link to it,but maybe someone remembers it?..
    Oh Dave, if you can remember where the site is and they have a 360 of the Defiant that would be outstanding!
    BTW, I've always considered you not only an FS enthusiast but also an upstanding guy.

Paul "Mechanic" Domingue
    Maximum 3ds Maximus

The book just has some external pics and only talks about how it wasn't much of a fighter due to its high wing loading and the drag from the turret. It also talks about how the Luftwaffe easily decimated them by attacking head on. I did a search online, mainly for a manual, but you would have to pay for it. The only internal pics I found are at the links below. I also included links to the new Airfix kit, especially the CAD images as they show some info. The last link I found interesting because it shows all of the different versions including single seat developments considered. Maybe something in one of these will be helpful.

http://www.airpages.ru/eng/uk/defiant.shtml

http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthr...t=31990&page=2

http://www.pavlamodels.cz/images/air.../more/more.htm

https://warbirdtails.net/2015/10/20/...eptember-2015/

http://www.hornby.com/us-en/news/workbench/5334/

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/i...mpleted/page-2

http://hsfeatures.com/features04/defiantjv_1.htm

http://www.ipmsusa.org/reviews/Kits/...iant_tt_02.htm

http://aviadejavu.ru/Site/Crafts/Craft21018.htm

Paul,

As Keith already mentioned the FS9 Defiant by Dave Molyneaux's could be quite useful, as there is a overview of all the instruments in the cockpit in package, which is available at flightsim.com.

So far I haven't been able to locate more than 2 very poor pictures in the Warpaints series 42 about the Defiant by Alen W. Hall and a picture from internet.

Cheers,
    Huub

The book just has some external pics and only talks about how it wasn't much of a fighter due to its high wing loading and the drag from the turret. It also talks about how the Luftwaffe easily decimated them by attacking head on. I did a search online, mainly for a manual, but you would have to pay for it. The only internal pics I found are at the links below. I also included links to the new Airfix kit, especially the CAD images as they show some info. The last link I found interesting because it shows all of the different versions including single seat developments considered. Maybe something in one of these will be helpful.
    Thanks Sundog, there are some nice links there that I haven't seen and a few decent cockpit pictures which are so hard to come by.

Quote Originally Posted by huub vink View Post
    Paul,

As Keith already mentioned the FS9 Defiant by Dave Molyneaux's could be quite useful, as there is a overview of all the instruments in the cockpit in package, which is available at flightsim.com.

So far I haven't been able to locate more than 2 very poor pictures in the Warpaints series 42 about the Defiant by Alen W. Hall and a picture from internet.

Cheers,
    Huub
    I did look at Molyneaux's model last night, even took it for a spin. I don't like to let another's work influence my work and would rather have the knowledge needed to make an accurate model from the original publications and photography on the aircraft. I spent hours going over documentation and even more hours just modeling the undercarriage and animating it, I'm a stickler for accurate gear animation. I want the cockpit area to be just as accurate. I'm really concerned with the flight dynamics because I have no idea where to start on this aircraft. The data I need to accomplish this is hidden in some archive in the UK and I want to find it. I have been putting out feelers but that probably needs to go on hold until the dust settles in the UK.

Thank you everyone for your support and search efforts.

I'll keep you posted on updates as they progress and there is also an ongoing thread at FSD that you can check.

Paul

Paul "Mechanic" Domingue
    Maximum 3ds Maximus

There are a couple of good pictures of the guns control switch (Pilot or turret);

http://forum.keypublishing.com/showt...fiant-anecdote

Some history
    http://www.corgi.co.uk/news/aerodrom...t-to-the-last/

http://www.it1me.com/learn?s=Boulton_Paul_Defiant

I'm still looking for a pilot report.

This thread at the 'Axis History Forum' http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtop...f=114&t=166238 turns into a bit of a slanging match, but you might just find something useful in there somewhere...

So I went and waded through my large collection of plans and sure enough I came across these:

20160626_113200 by Andy Ford, on Flickr

20160626_113246 by Andy Ford, on Flickr

20160626_113105 by Andy Ford, on Flickr

They are 1:25 scale! That means they are each A2 in size. Therefore I could only photograph rather than scan them for now. I'm gearing up for a business trip so it'll be 7-10 days until I can use the large format scanner in the office. In the meantime let me know if they're of any use. I have the key to the numbered instruments BTW... it'll just have to be translated!

ATB

Andy

Actually they're A1 size!

Members who have read this thread: 0