SF missiing in GW

Thread: SF missiing in GW

Icon5 SF missiing in GW

I can't believe it's taken me a decade to notice this! I guess it shows how seldom I've flown and how rarely outside of my local area.

Anyway, I put the Treasure Island scenery into GW and went for a little flight to check it out. As you may know, Treasure Island is on San Fransisco Bay, between San Fransisco and Oakland. Well, not in Golden Wings - because the city of San Fransisco is utterly absent from Golden Wings! At least from my Golden Wings. It's just not there. Gone without a trace. As if nuked to oblivion, though there weren't any nukes in the Golden Age. Where San Fransisco should be is nothing but an empty, hilly wasteland, devoid of buildings or vegetation, colored by generic textures of splotches of vegetation and bare ground. It's as if Bill Lyons' Wayback Machine ran amok and rolled San Fransisco back, not to the Golden Age of Aviation, but to some prehistoric era before humans inhabited North America.

Has anyone else found this anomaly in Golden Wings? And most importantly, has anyone found a way to put San Fransisco into GW?
    I've tried using what seem to be the appropriate files from FS9, but without success.

It would seem that somewhere in Golden Wings is an exclude file meant to remove FS9's modern San Fransisco, but we might also expect to find an older version that would replace it. I'd be happy to un-exclude the modern city rather than have just nothing at all there.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick View Post
    Does anyone have any ideas?
    Sounds like an exclude. Are there any other sceneries in the area? Does Treasure Island show OK?

I have GW3 with Treasure Island and several other sceneries in the San Francisco area. All seems well, for the moment at least.

Here is what SF and TI look like on mine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails screenshot38.jpg   screenshot39.jpg  

Thanks guys,

Well, this tells me that it's not a GW issue, so it must have to do with my own add on sceneries. That's important information.

It seems like an exclude issue to me too, but I haven't found any excludes with suggestive file names, and I can't think of any reason why a scenery designer would exclude the city unless they were replacing it with something better.

There is a SanFran bgl file in NAMW that's different in GW than the stock FS9 version, but replacing it with the stock version doesn't restore the city.

I found two SF sceneries on line and tried installing them, but they don't show up. That's especially confusing because if there was an exclude file, they should show up as long as they're higher in the scenery stack, but they don't, even when they're right on top of the stack. But if it's not an exclude, replacing the SanFran file with the stock one should've worked, and it didn't. Very confusing!

I have a number of sceneries in the SF Bay area, but most seem too far from the city to affect it: Hamilton Field, Alameda and Moffett Field are some distance from SF. Closer to the city I have Mills Field, which was designed as a GW scenery, Treasure island and the SF Bay bridges. I also have the bridges and Treasure Island in my other sims and San Fransisco shows up properly in them, so if it's a conflict with another scenery, it must be one that's unique to GW.

I guess the next step is to start inactivating sceneries until I find out which one contains the guilty file.

Otherwise, I'm just somehow missing a file or files that I should have, although my fiddling about seems like it should've already covered that possibility.

I partially use GW3 Treasure Island with my classic sim (CalClassic). That's what remained early Sixties.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 27473656994_758fe7d8e1_b.jpg  

I did something similar with Treasure Island. In GW I have MoCat's original TI, except that one runway is closed to depict the field more like it was in around 1940 rather than earlier, with AI and static Pan Am planes. In FS1954 it's a Navy base with helicopters and blimps, then is my Jet Age sim it just has helos.

I never figured out where San Fransisco went, so I replaced it with a bunch of buildings from the FS9 Custom Buildings and Generic scenery object libraries. It's not accurate by any means, but it looks a lot like SF in stock FS9, which isn't accurate either, but at least it looks like there's a city there.

Members who have read this thread: 0