GSL issue - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: GSL issue

Alpine, CA in San Diego's beautiful back country!

Icon22

Ok. Well, lets forget about Tulagi and Midway and all that stuff for now.

Lets concentrate on getting CFS2 to start with the stock cfs2.gsl file loaded and all objects showing. Everything else starts from that datum.

So, let me get this straight.

When you click on your CFS2 start shortcut, the one whose pathway reads "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Combat Flight Simulator 2 - Early\cfs2.exe", you are starting a copy of CFS2 that has nothing but the stock cfs2.gsl loaded. Right?

And that stock cfs2.gsl file is sitting inside the C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Combat Flight Simulator 2 - Early\GSL folder right? Not nested inside another folder but out on its own inside the GSL folder?

Please bear with me and take it one step at a time. It is important that we only have the stock cfs2.gsl file loaded. Please re-copy and re-paste it into your C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Combat Flight Simulator 2 - Early\GSL folder just to be sure.

To check that all is well. please open your copy of GSLEdit.

Go to: File -> Open GSL -> C -> Program Files (x86) -> Microsoft Games -> Combat Flight Simulator 2 - Early -> GSL -> cfs2.gsl and open it.

You should see something that looks like this: A list of all the gobs included in the stock.gsl file on the left and a list of all the objects installed in each gob on the right.

Does yours look like this?

MR
    Last edited by MaskRider; June 28th, 2016 at 01:05.
    "A sandwich and a cup of coffee, and then off to violin-land, where all is sweetness and delicacy and harmony, and there are no red-headed clients to vex us with their conundrums.”

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH
    MR Albums at SOH MR Web Site

Was this covered?

Not to cause confusion or to interfere but has this been checked?

In your CFS2.CFG file do you see anything like this?

[PREFS]
    UseGSL=****.gsl

If you see anything like that, then it will only use that GSL file. If you want you can add that line and point it to your cfs2.gsl file.

This is how I've done my WWI scenery.
    "Courage is the discovery that you may not win, and trying when you know you can lose."-Tom Krause

My works Here: http://www.thefreeflightsite.com/JFortin.htm

Icon22

Quote Originally Posted by Blood_Hawk23 View Post
    Not to cause confusion or to interfere but has this been checked?

In your CFS2.CFG file do you see anything like this?

[PREFS]
    UseGSL=****.gsl

If you see anything like that, then it will only use that GSL file. If you want you can add that line and point it to your cfs2.gsl file.

This is how I've done my WWI scenery.
    Good call Blood_Hawk23!

I think you may have hit on it!

This how I have done my cfs2 set up, too.

I have a bunch of CFS2 shortscuts calling out different cfg files for different areas: \cfs2.exe" /CFG:EmptyGSL.CFG; \cfs2.exe" /CFG:MR_DEI_GSL.CFG; \cfs2.exe" /CFG:MR_PNG_GSL.CFG; etc., etc..

I also have specific CFS2 short cuts named after the cfg file they call out.

That is why I had Dasuto247 confirm for me, several times above, that his shortcut to cfs2 calls out a nice clean "\cfs2.exe".

He confirmed several times that it does.

But I see how what you suggest could be the issue if he made the change to the cfs2.cfg file without renaming it and creating a new shortcut to handle it.

So that the cfs2 shortcut still appears to be referencing a stock cfs2.cfg that calls out a stock cfs2.gsl file (i.e. by not calling one out at all) when actually it is referencing a cfs2.cfg that is stock in name only but has been altered to call out a custom gsl.

Thanks for the input!

MR

PS What do you want to bet that Dasuto247 has his cfg2.cfg file set up to call out the midway.gsl? After installing Midway is when he started having issues.
    Last edited by MaskRider; June 28th, 2016 at 13:16.
    "A sandwich and a cup of coffee, and then off to violin-land, where all is sweetness and delicacy and harmony, and there are no red-headed clients to vex us with their conundrums.”

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH

Hiya Dasuto247,

Somehow, somewhere along the line, the wrong dsl is being called out.

I have been trying to come at it from one direction.

But based on the above discussion I think Blood_Hawk23 has hit upon the heart of the matter.

Please open up your cfs2.cfg file and check under the [PREFS] section for a line that reads something similar to

UseGSL=scenery_name.gsl

Where the "scenery name" might be midway or similar.

If there is such a line, then close and save-as under the name cfs2_scenery-name_gsl.cfg (where "scenery-name" is whatever that line in the PREFS sectiion says).

Then delete the line calling out the custom.gsl from the [PREFS] section of the cfs2.cfg.

Close/save it.

Start CFS2 and see if your stock scenery objects have re-appeared.

Cheers,
    MR
    Last edited by MaskRider; June 28th, 2016 at 13:12.

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH

It would make sense.

Send him a copy of LW's GSL tutorial. Things like that are in there.
    Last edited by Blood_Hawk23; June 28th, 2016 at 14:27.
    "Courage is the discovery that you may not win, and trying when you know you can lose."-Tom Krause

Icon22

Dasuto247,

Here is a link to the tutorial Blood_Hawk23 referenced above

CFS2 Global Scenery Editor

If you're going to get into this GSL scenery making game you should give it a read.

MR

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH

Quote Originally Posted by MaskRider View Post
    Hiya Dasuto247,

Somehow, somewhere along the line, the wrong dsl is being called out.

I have been trying to come at it from one direction.

But based on the above discussion I think Blood_Hawk23 has hit upon the heart of the matter.

Please open up your cfs2.cfg file and check under the [PREFS] section for a line that reads something similar to

UseGSL=scenery_name.gsl

Where the "scenery name" might be midway or similar.

If there is such a line, then close and save-as under the name cfs2_scenery-name_gsl.cfg (where "scenery-name" is whatever that line in the PREFS sectiion says).

Then delete the line calling out the custom.gsl from the [PREFS] section of the cfs2.cfg.

Close/save it.

Start CFS2 and see if your stock scenery objects have re-appeared.

Cheers,
    MR

Thanks for the help guys, editing the CFS2.cfg file solved the issue.Under prefs section it read "UseGSL=empty.gsl".I deleted that and saved.Stock GSL etc has returned and once I readded the tulagi scenery via gslman, it showed up in the MB. Now with that problem solved, can move forward.I will have to learn the GSL programs, thanks for the link.Quick question, the scenery I do not want in early 42 such as that at Henderson Field can be removed while others are left yes? Once again, thanks for all the help.

Reading through and getting familiar with the GSLEDIT program. I see can edit specific ones.Anyone know which one would be stock Henderson Field? There are just a bunch of numbers under the GOB's list, no names next to them to identify like in the README.

Quote Originally Posted by dasuto247 View Post
    Thanks for the help guys, editing the CFS2.cfg file solved the issue.Under prefs section it read "UseGSL=empty.gsl".I deleted that and saved.Stock GSL etc has returned and once I readded the tulagi scenery via gslman, it showed up in the MB. Now with that problem solved, can move forward.I will have to learn the GSL programs, thanks for the link.Quick question, the scenery I do not want in early 42 such as that at Henderson Field can be removed while others are left yes? Once again, thanks for all the help.
    There are two ways you can remove it.

---First way is with MW's gsledit, You can remove the GOBs for Henderson. This may remove everything. Or you can remove just the buildings and such...

---The second way would be to use MB (Mission Builder) and use LW's technique. You will have to click all around the field to get all of the objects. Then you can go through and delete the ones that you don't want.

I think either way will work. It will come down to what you feel more comfortable with. I like mission builder, myself.

I believe you have to update the airfield list.

I believe you have to update the airfield list.
    I clicked update airfield list, did nothing.

Icon22

Hiya Dasuto247,

Glad that did the trick.

WRT making just the scenery objects at Henderson disappear. What I would suggest, just as a start, is that you

Make a copy of your currently loaded gsl file and rename it early-42.gsl .

Then, make a copy of your stock cfs2.cfg file and rename it cfs2-early42-GSL.cfg

Open cfs2-early42-GSL.cfg and under the [PREFS] section add a line that says UseGSL=early-42.gsl

Then make a copy of your cfs2 shortcut and rename it CFS2-Early42

Right click on the short cut and in the 'target' box change ...\cfs2.exe" to ....\cfs2.exe" /CFG:cfs2-early42-GSL.cfg

You will need to create a similar shortcut for MB:

Make a copy of your MB Shortcut.

Rename the copy CFS2 Mission Builder Early 42 GSL.

Right click on it and in the target box change ...\cfs2.exe" /BUILDER: to ... \cfs2.exe" /CFG:cfs2-early42-GSL.cfg /BUILDER:

Use that for you scenery building for Early-42.

As for removing and adding scenery objects just from Henderson field, give LW's tutorial a read and see if you come up with any ideas. ;^) Yes, it can be done. Quite easily.

MR

If you want to remove the runways, too- just the visible runways, not the runway entry from the drop down list- you can build a very simple FSSC scenery bgl at Henderson that includes nothing but an exclude for "all visible scenery". Also very easily done.

PS I concur with BH23 WRT to using GSLEdit or MB GSLEdit to remove the objects at Henderson. Either should do the trick.

However, using MB GSLEdit allows you a little more discretion as to which objects get removed. You can, for instance, get rid of just the buildings and other man made objects and leave the trees. Even add a few more tees if you are so inclined. GSLEdit will remove everything.

Remember, there are no quick corners to be cut. You have to keep everything very well organized or it can get away from you very quickly.

MR

Oh, PS: If you choose to use GSLEdit to remove the objects be sure to open it with early-42.gsl loaded up, not the stock cfs2.gsl. You want to keepthe stock cfs2.gsl pristine.

See screenshot below. Make sure the hi-lites portion reads early-42.gsl (or whatever you name it).

MR
    Last edited by MaskRider; June 28th, 2016 at 16:23.

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH

Hummm... I'll have to play with the GSLedit to get it sorted out.

I had to remake one of my WWI fields three times. Come to find out I was over writing the GOB.

Icon22

Reading through and getting familiar with the GSLEDIT program. I see can edit specific ones.Anyone know which one would be stock Henderson Field? There are just a bunch of numbers under the GOB's list, no names next to them to identify like in the README.
    Hiya Dasuto247,

Does your GSLEdit window look like the screenshots I posted?

The column on the left side of the GSLEdit pane lists all gobs that have GSL scenery objects loaded into them. If there happens to be an airfield located in that GOB then it is listed, too. Hi lite that gob and see what options are available in the menu bar.

Don't forget to read Lindsay's MB GSL Editor Tutorial.

I'm leaving it up to you.

MR

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH

I've read through the README for GSL tools, I get the gist of it.Issue is now is no name is displaying next to the gob so have no clue which gob am looking at when o open the cfs2.gsl file. A list was included but does not include stock Henderson gob name. I hit update airfields, view list, nothing happens.

Icon22

Please take a screenshot of your GSLEdit window and post it so we can have a look-see.

Thanks.

MR

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH

f8071c.gob Henderson

set GSLedit to the exe file you plan on editing. Open the GSL file. update airfield list. reopen GSL file. Airfields should be listed.

Quote Originally Posted by MaskRider View Post
    Please take a screenshot of your GSLEdit window and post it so we can have a look-see.

Thanks.

MR

Here you go MR This is current CFS2. gsl file in my "early install". Stock GSL objects now show up as do those that I enable.I understand how to remove and add objects after reading instructions.Key now is being able to locate proper areas.I want to locate Henderson Field and remove everything but trees, perhaps add some to represent what area looked like in May 1942 before japanese began constructing the airfield.This will fit well with the Tulagi strikes in my "Coral Sea missions" I plan to release in coming days as all are finished and testing is almost complete.Wrapping up issues such as this.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails gslscreenshot1.jpg  

That is really small. You may need to zoom in a little.

There is a Kool feature to the gsledit that I just noticed. It is the ability to save the GOB as a Layout. Just save the GOB as a Layout. You can then load up the Layout in MB. Edit it and add the new edited layout as a GOB.

You know I haven't used GSLEdit since I got it. I've always used LW's method. I'll have to give this another look. It might allow me to fix some errors faster.

There is a Kool feature to the gsledit that I just noticed. It is the ability to save the GOB as a Layout. Just save the GOB as a Layout. You can then load up the Layout in MB. Edit it and add the new edited layout as a GOB.

You know I haven't used GSLEdit since I got it. I've always used LW's method. I'll have to give this another look. It might allow me to fix some errors faster.

Lucked up and found the correct gob after noticing the name Henderson in README screenshot of various GOB's.So mission accomplished.Also saved a Henderson layout before hand to edit for later and use when want facilities at Henderson.I forgot though.How do you save changes to a layout once make them in the MB?

Here you go MR This is current CFS2. gsl file in my "early install". Stock GSL objects now show up as do those that I enable.I understand how to remove and add objects after reading instructions.Key now is being able to locate proper areas.I want to locate Henderson Field and remove everything but trees, perhaps add some to represent what area looked like in May 1942 before japanese began constructing the airfield.This will fit well with the Tulagi strikes in my "Coral Sea missions" I plan to release in coming days as all are finished and testing is almost complete.Wrapping up issues such as this.
    Did you go to CFS2 -> Update Airfield List? and CFS2 -> View Airfield list?

If neither of those worked than all I can conclude is that some where along the line in your efforts to remove stock airfields you must have edited some key CFS2 file that keeps all of the airfield entries straight.

Perhaps your cfs2afd.bgl? Or maybe your allrunways.BGL? Or maybe your runways.BGL?

I have zero cklue as I have never messed with any of those files myself. You need to restore that information. Hopefully whatever file it may have been that you edited you kept a copy of the stock version so it can be replaced? All I know is that the reason why the airfields are not listed has zero to do with editing the GSL.

MR

PS Do any of the stock airfields show up in the drop-down list in FF?

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH

You know, I forget... We really need a face : plam Icon...

Icon22

"How do you save changes to a layout once make them in the MB?"

I wash my hands.

MR

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH

The cfs2afd.bgl has the starting points for FF and QC. allrunways.BGL places the runways on the ground. airbases.dat has the starting point for missions.

Keys for loading and saving GSL.
    Attachment 39389

Below is mb_main_backgrnd.jpg that has layout and GSL load and save keys. Put it in the \UIRES\MB. It replace the stock mb_main_backgrnd.jpg.

Attachment 39390
    "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!" Some SOH Founder.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    The cfs2afd.bgl has the starting points for FF and QC. allrunways.BGL places the runways on the ground. airbases.dat has the starting point for missions.

Keys for loading and saving GSL.

Below is mb_main_backgrnd.jpg that has layout and GSL load and save keys. Put it in the \UIRES\MB. It replace the stock mb_main_backgrnd.jpg.

Attachment 39390
    Allen, would you reload your attachments? Says they are invalid when attempted to download them

Members who have read this thread: 1