GSL issue
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GSL issue

GSL issue

Suddenly in my "Eary War" install, which have built all of my Coral Sea and Midway missions on, GSL objects had activated do not show up nor will any activate now.I had the IJN Tulagi.gsl enabled when built the three Tulagi missions(part of Battle of Coral Sea) and reopened the file, GSL scenery not showing up in the harbor as before.Stock GSL scenery has been gone for a while as well but did not bother me as can use layouts and place objects to give many a more front line apperance than stock did.Issue is scenery such as that at Tulagi not showing up.Any ideas why suddenly it would not work? Solutions?

Icon27 Reply...

Dasuto247,

It sounds like you overwrote something...you have two overlapping gobs.
    "Rami"

"Me? I'm just a Sea of Tranquility in an Ocean of Storms, babe."

My campaign site: http://www.box.net/shared/0k1e1rz29h
    My missions site: http://www.box.net/shared/ueh4kazk3v
    My scenery site: http://www.box.net/shared/knb1l0ztobhs2esb14rb

Alpine, CA in San Diego's beautiful back country!
    Hiya,

Sounds like you might have overwritten the pre-existing object in your Tulagi gobs by adding new objects to those gobs using Martin Wright's GSLMAN.exe or else GSLEdit. If you added anything to the same gobs where your tulagi.gsl objects were located then those previously loaded objects will disappear. GSLMAN.exe and GSLEdit do not add new objects to those already present in a gob- they overwrite them. To add objects to those already present in a gob you need to use MB's build-in GSL Editor. It lets you add stuff to gobs that already have stuff in them.

Hope this helps,
    MR
    "A sandwich and a cup of coffee, and then off to violin-land, where all is sweetness and delicacy and harmony, and there are no red-headed clients to vex us with their conundrums.”

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH
    MR Albums at SOH MR Web Site

What you need to do is start with an empty gsl and then, using GobCheck and GSLEdit (Martin Wright's tools), add your tulagi object layout to your empty.gsl. Then save the empty.gsl as Tulagi.gsl in your main GSL folder. That way you'll have it handy to activate or deactivate whenever you wish.
    "A sandwich and a cup of coffee, and then off to violin-land, where all is sweetness and delicacy and harmony, and there are no red-headed clients to vex us with their conundrums.”

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH

Icon22

@Rami: Great minds think alike!

MR

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH

Icon22 Reply...

Quote Originally Posted by MaskRider View Post
    @Rami: Great minds think alike!

MR
    Chris,

With all of the work I've done for Europe and the Med, this is something I run into on a near-constant basis. You've had the same experiences in the Pacific.
    "Rami"

"Me? I'm just a Sea of Tranquility in an Ocean of Storms, babe."

My campaign site: http://www.box.net/shared/0k1e1rz29h
    My missions site: http://www.box.net/shared/ueh4kazk3v
    My scenery site: http://www.box.net/shared/knb1l0ztobhs2esb14rb

Icon22

Quote Originally Posted by Rami View Post
    Chris,

With all of the work I've done for Europe and the Med, this is something I run into on a near-constant basis. You've had the same experiences in the Pacific.
    Rami,

Indeed yes!

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH

Thanks for the answers.I'm not sure how it happened, don't recall adding anything over the IJN Tulagi.gsl file. Hmm. Where can I get an empty GSL file? Anyone have the stock gsl file? Need it as well. So I can start over.I had stock files saved in a zip, it's missing.May have deleted it by mistake.Also, I've been to Martin Wright's website and do not see GSL editor nor Gob check there.Where can I get them? Thanks again for the assistance.

Icon22

Dasuto247,

Here ya go.

Brief instructions:

1. Place "Empty GSL" folder into your cfs2/GSL folder.
    2. Copy the "empty.gsl" file from the "Empty GSL" folder to your cfs2/GSL folder.
    3. Place "EmptyGSL.CFG" into your cfs2 parent folder.
    4. Place "CFS2 Mission Builder Empty GSL" (shortcut) where ever it is convenient.
    5. Place "CFS2 EmptyGSL" (shortcut) where ever it is convenient.

As long as your path to CFS2 is the standard path these shortcuts, "CFS2 Mission Builder Empty GSL" and "CFS2 EmptyGSL", should work fine. If your path is different then edit the shortcuts to fit the path as you have it set up.

Whenever you want to work on some new scenery, use the shortcut to the "CFS2 Mission Builder Empty GSL" shortcut.

When you are done with the scenery rename the empty.gsl with your scenery name and begin the process anew with a fresh copy of empty.gsl

*Make sure when running GSLEdit (Martin Wright) that you have the correct GSL loaded.

In this case it would be the empty gsl.

You'll need to play with it.

MR
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by MaskRider; June 23rd, 2016 at 16:27.

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH

CFS2 GSL Tools

You'll need to email Martin Wright for these.

CFS2 GSL Tools

I have the tools now, a lot to learn.I tried replacing my gsl file with the stock one, but that did not restore gsl buildings etc. Figured that would work.What to do next?

Hiya Dasuto247,

Lets take this one step at a time.

1. When you say: "I tried replacing my gsl file with the stock one, but that did not restore gsl buildings...". Are you saying that swapping in the stock GSL (ground scenery layer) did not restore any of the stock scenery objects at the stock airfields? Are you using the standard cfs2.exe shortcut?

MR
    Last edited by MaskRider; June 27th, 2016 at 12:40.

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH

Hiya Dasuto247,

Lets take this one step at a time.

1. When you say: "I tried replacing my gsl file with the stock one, but that did not restore gsl buildings...". Are you saying that swapping in the stock GSL (ground scenery layer) did not restore any of the stock scenery objects at the stock airfields? Are you using the standard cfs2.exe shortcut?

MR
    Yes, I placed the stock cfs2.gsl file, overwriting the current one, figuring would bring back stock and could just start over.I did not have many GSL changes enabled in this particular install. Well, I have three installs on my PC, the original(mid war), early war and late.The install having issue is the "EARLY" . Path is "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Combat Flight Simulator 2 - Early\cfs2.exe" No issues with other installs gsl.

Icon22

Try this stock gsl

I might have zipped up the wrong one last time

MR
    Attached Files Attached Files

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH

Icon22

Hiya Dasuto247,

I'm just a little unclear.

Question:

"I did not have many GSL changes enabled in this particular install"
    Enabled how? What do you mean by "enabled" exactly?

MR

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH

Hiya Dasuto247,

I'm just a little unclear.

Question:

Enabled how? What do you mean by "enabled" exactly?

MR
    Enabled via the GSL man tool that came with various scenery.

Icon22

Quote Originally Posted by dasuto247 View Post
    Enabled via the GSL man tool that came with various scenery.
    OK, got it. Thanks.

Well if you added (enabled) scenery objects using GSLMan to a gob that already had scenery objects installed the objects that were there first will disappear.

So you now have GOBCheck and GSLEdit from Martin Wright?

MR

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH

OK, got it. Thanks.

Well if you added (enabled) scenery objects using GSLMan to a gob that already had scenery objects installed the objects that were there first will disappear.

So you now have GOBCheck and GSLEdit from Martin Wright?

MR
    I do have them

Icon22

Did you have any luck loading up that replacement stock gsl file? If so, did your stock scenery showed up?

MR

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH

Did you have any luck loading up that replacement stock gsl file? If so, did your stock scenery showed up?

MR
    Ah, no luck.Still not working.I did have to do some editing of the scenery.cfg file to use some Midway scenery, to exclude the stock scenery there.I had finished my Coral Sea missions.I went back and was checking them over and notticed the tulagi gsl was not showing up.Now, before that stock scenery was not there either, but he GSL I added was until I changed the scenery.cfg per the instructions.I don't mind the stock GSl being gone for most part(like to know how to get it back though in case needed, of course with the tools I can edit the stock gsl yes?) Perhaps the change to scenery.cfg is the culprit?

Icon22

So, with that stock gsl file loaded, you go to a stock CFS2 airfield and there are no scenery objects visible?

Please do me a favor. Right click on the shortcut you are using to start CFS2. Right click inside the two boxes hi-lighted in yellow in attached screenshot, select all, copy and paste here in reply so I can see what they say. Thanks.

MR

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH

Messing with the scenery.cfg file has nothing to with and will have zero effect on whether GSL scenery objects show up or not. Nada. What fooling with the scenery.cfg file will affect is whether the airfields themselves show up- the runways and any API Macros, i.e. "static" objects you may have added when building an airfield in FSSC or similar scenery-building program. But it will have zero impact on which GSL objects show up. Trust me on this.

MR

Just out of curiosity, to make sure we are both on the same page here, what do you refer to, what do you mean, when you say GSL? What sorts of visual things in the sim do you think of when you think of GSL scenery? Please bear with me.

You understand that GSL "scenery" objects exist quite independently from any thing that is handled by the scenery.cfg file, right? You could have zero, zip, nada scenery activated in your scenery.cfg file and still the objects contained in the currently loaded GSL file would show up.

MR

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH

So, with that stock gsl file loaded, you go to a stock CFS2 airfield and there are no scenery objects visible?

Please do me a favor. Right click on the shortcut you are using to start CFS2. Right click inside the two boxes hi-lighted in yellow in attached screenshot, select all, copy and paste here in reply so I can see what they say. Thanks.

MR
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Combat Flight Simulator 2 - Early\cfs2.exe"

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Combat Flight Simulator 2 - Early"

Yes, go to any airfield now(including stock fields untouched by add on scenery such as Lae) , just the runway, no buildings, aa emplacements, revetments etc. I load up my Tulagi missions, the IJN-Tulagi GSL scenery I had enabled no longer shows up, and when I try to readd via GSL man, nothing shows up as did before.

Icon22

Quote Originally Posted by dasuto247 View Post
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Combat Flight Simulator 2 - Early\cfs2.exe"

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Combat Flight Simulator 2 - Early"

Yes, go to any airfield now(including stock fields untouched by add on scenery such as Lae) , just the runway, no buildings, aa emplacements, revetments etc. I load up my Tulagi missions, the IJN-Tulagi GSL scenery I had enabled no longer shows up, and when I try to readd via GSL man, nothing shows up as did before.
    Hehe. Thanks for posting that info.

That is danged strange.

OK. Try this. Go to Options -> Settings -> Scenery Library -> Scenery Object Density -> set it to "extremely dense" if it isn't already set to that.

MR

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH

Hehe. Thanks for posting that info.

That is danged strange.

OK. Try this. Go to Options -> Settings -> Scenery Library -> Scenery Object Density -> set it to "extremely dense" if it isn't already set to that.

MR
    Was already set to "extremely dense", made no difference. The stock objects have been missing a while but never bothered me.Issue now is somewhere along the way recently something was fouled up, now no gsl scenery shows at all.I'm running your scenery for Solomons, New Guinea. Uncle's New Britain, New Irleand.AF Port Moresby. It has something to do with the Midway Scenery, seems like after I tried to add the new midway GSL objects(they didnt show up, had another step and decided to use the layouts via the MB instead) and worked up some Midway missions, I tested my Coral Sea missions and noticed the GSL for Tulagi was missing then, but was there before.

Members who have read this thread: 1