the end is near

Thread: the end is near

the end is near

Getting hard to handle at my age.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 126 6-16.jpg   122 6-16 a.jpg  

If I'm reading that thermometer correctly, you guys in Arizona broke a record today for warm temps. I believe the last record was 122 degrees, correct me if I'm wrong.
    Makes for lousy air density...

BB686
    "El gato que camina como hombre" -- The cat that walks like a man

I'm out in the desert 40 miles from Phoenix. It's only 116 at Sky Harbor and Luke.

good god...were going to get lucky,they were calling for temps in the low 100s for tues to fri of this next week,but seems a low is knocking it down...theyre saying high 90s now.

whats the relitive humidity when its 126?...

Quote Originally Posted by Daveroo View Post
    good god...were going to get lucky,they were calling for temps in the low 100s for tues to fri of this next week,but seems a low is knocking it down...theyre saying high 90s now.

whats the relitive humidity when its 126?...
    Humidity today is 6%. Around the 4th of July the jet stream shifts bring damp air up from the gulf. That knocks the average temps down to about 105 and brings the humidity up to around 50%.

Topped out at 118 here in central Phoenix...same low humidity. Not looking forward to being a mailman tomorrow. Lots of water, Gatorade, and a towel soaked in ice water keeps me barely functional during working hours. But it sure beats the hell out of delivering in cold weather.
    Expect banging, belching and an occasional manly fart as you roar down the runway at full power. (I have found that the engine can make similar noises)

wow......i'm fat as a hatter these days..id rather i be cold so i can warm up,when i'm hot i have a hard time cooling off...so i don't envy you your job...power to ya man.

Wasn't there a point back around '94 where it got so hot in PHX that airliners were grounded-- because their performance charts didn't go high enough to deal with the high temps? Ah well....no matter...wife and I are considering Scottsdale as a future winter haven from Colorado...I've spent tons of time in that town, and I LOVE it.

Kent

Quote Originally Posted by ColoKent View Post
    Wasn't there a point back around '94 where it got so hot in PHX that airliners were grounded-- because their performance charts didn't go high enough to deal with the high temps? Ah well....no matter...wife and I are considering Scottsdale as a future winter haven from Colorado...I've spent tons of time in that town, and I LOVE it.

Kent
    Grew up in Scottsdale...affectionately known around here as Snotsdale. Winter is the best time to be here. 60's and 70's for months...I can handle the heat for 3 months...the remaining 9 months are great. Sure beats the heck out of snow and ice and freezing rain...And it was 1990 when it hit 122. My wife was pregnant with our son. They grounded the jets because the charts only went up to 115.
    Expect banging, belching and an occasional manly fart as you roar down the runway at full power. (I have found that the engine can make similar noises)

Eeeek! I'll never complain about 45-46C at our place again (113-115F)

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    If you or your loved ones would like the Arizona/Nevada experience, just take a hair dryer, turn it on high, and aim it at your face.

The low temp last night was 89 so it won't take long to get back up to the high 120's!

Blog Entries

Come on down to La Quinta....

a balmy 118!!! You ain't seen nothing yet... hahahaha
    I don't know if I can afford the electric bill... central AC going on 24/7...

G.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Getting hard to handle at my age.
    Your exterior thermometer looks pretty much useless... time to think installing a candy thermometer instead

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 61ES2ExFgDL._SL1200_.jpg  
    Torture numbers and they'll say anything.

Hubbabubba, Touche à tout.

Quote Originally Posted by hubbabubba View Post
    Your exterior thermometer looks pretty much useless... time to think installing a candy thermometer instead
    The first picture is indoor outdoor and accurate. The second picture just for fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    The first picture is indoor outdoor and accurate. The second picture just for fun.
    So was mine, Terry...
    Torture numbers and they'll say anything.

Hubbabubba, Touche à tout.

Quote Originally Posted by b52bob View Post
    If you or your loved ones would like the Arizona/Nevada experience, just take a hair dryer, turn it on high, and aim it at your face.
    We were talking to a guy in Parumph some years ago when we were passing through, who'd moved there from Canada! He reckons it sits around 120 in summer....

Quote Originally Posted by gaucho_59 View Post
    a balmy 118!!! You ain't seen nothing yet... hahahaha
    I don't know if I can afford the electric bill... central AC going on 24/7...

G.
    That's why we've got a roof full of PV panels - to help drive the AC in summer.....at night we just sit in the pool......

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SPman View Post
    We were talking to a guy in Parumph some years ago when we were passing through, who'd moved there from Canada! He reckons it sits around 120 in summer....
    Actually, Pahrump is cooler than Las Vegas or Phoenix. Has to do with the altitude here.

Quote Originally Posted by SPman View Post
    That's why we've got a roof full of PV panels - to help drive the AC in summer.....at night we just sit in the pool......
    The rear facing part of our roof is almost entirely made up of Solar Panels, 12Kw in total, originally for the Summer.
    But being on a ridge that looks over Port Phillip Bay at the front and backs onto Westernport we only need A/C on those really hot (40C+) Victorian days.
    We don't really pay for electricity.......
    Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Members who have read this thread: 0