OT: For Gee Bee Z Fans

Thread: OT: For Gee Bee Z Fans

OT: For Gee Bee Z Fans

Some absolutely fantastic videos have been uploaded to Youtube over the past week, from the test flights by Delmar Benjamin of the Kevin Kimball/Jeff Eicher-built Gee Bee Z replica in the 90's. I have never seen so much video footage of the aircraft in action, and these are the most interesting/fascinating bits of aviation-related film that I have seen in a long, long time (though that just may be due to my love for the Gee Bee aircraft). For those not familiar with this particular aircraft, it was built in the 90's to be the most authentic/accurate, possible, reproduction of the Gee Bee Z (far, far more so than the other one built/flown in the film "Rocketeer"). All of the test flights were carried out by Delmar Benjamin (most well known for his Gee Bee R-2 replica, which he flew/demonstrated throughout the 90's). Delmar Benjamin flew the Gee Bee Z on 12 flights in all, and since flying it, it is the Z that he has stated many times over that is his absolute favorite aircraft of all time, and that the flights he had in the Gee Bee Z were the most fun he has ever had in an airplane, despite the 1,500+ hours flying his R-2 (he has also flown the Gee Bee type E and Y as well). Both this particular Gee Bee Z, and Delmar's R-2, are now both owned by Kermit Weeks and displayed at his Fantasy of Flight attraction (Kermit Weeks flew the Z twice, shortly after acquiring it, but it hasn't flown for quite some time now).

For those who are as fanatical about the Gee Bee aircraft as I am, prepare to be in for a real treat...

Maiden flight of the Gee Bee Z replica (main footage) - June 24, 1996: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKeJLCQhtX8
    Maiden flight of the Gee Bee Z replica (extra footage): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wh_usK4_wbY
    Interview with the pilot, Delmar Benjamin: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3mvN21OEbc
    Interview with builder Kevin Kimball: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6CiW3NAapU
    Interview with builder Jeff Eicher: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PyhJf1NXyc
    Lenovo Legion T730 / Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6-5.0 GHz / 130W Liquid Cooling / GeForce RTX 2800 / 32GB DDR4 / MSI 550W PSU / 4K 43" TCL LED TV

Thanks for the references. I remember seeing him put on the R2 display at Oshkosh back in the 90s. That was definitely one of my favorite air displays ever.

Really quite interesting. Didn't Kermit complain about a few things, hence flying it so little ?

- J
    VFR Simulations
    www.vfrsim.com

Kermit's fears have always been centered around aileron flutter, which has been determined to be a trait of both the R-2 and Z reproductions (through the findings of some aerodynamic experts/engineering calculations, as I recall), and what very likely contributed to the demise of the original 'Z'. This has been found to likely be a problem that will occur at airspeeds in excess of about 250+ mph. Kermit was going to have some balance weights added to the bottom of the ailerons, to counter this problem, but that hasn't come to be. A couple years back, Weeks had the Gee Bee Z brought back to airworthy readiness, with ground-runs, in anticipation of flying it again, but that hasn't come to be yet either. As I recall Weeks stating, with regard to the Z, is that if he flies it again, he'll keep it under 240 mph to be in the safe zone.

Delmar Benjamin has stated that the "Kimball Gee Bee Z" replica (as near to the original design as could possibly be attained) is his absolute favorite aircraft he has ever flown. Steve Hinton, who flew the "Turner Gee Bee Z" replica (the one used for the Rocketeer movie), and which is far from being an accurate replica, stated that it was one of the worst-handling planes he's ever flown. I love how right after the very first test flight in the aircraft, Delmar turns the aircraft back around onto the runway and immediately takes-off again for another flight.
    Lenovo Legion T730 / Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6-5.0 GHz / 130W Liquid Cooling / GeForce RTX 2800 / 32GB DDR4 / MSI 550W PSU / 4K 43" TCL LED TV

In my own estimation, might be a simple act of wisdom on behalf of Kermit. Not everyone is cut-out to fly something like that. Not saying anything for or against. Just simple wisdom.

- Joseph
    VFR Simulations
    www.vfrsim.com

Yet I look at Kermit Weeks as still being one of the great stick & rudder pilots of today - he really becomes one with the aircraft he flies (having built aircraft himself, won various world aerobatic championships, flown just about everything from the dawn of flight to WWII props and modern civil aircraft). But along the lines of what you say, Joseph, the Gee Bee aircraft strike me as requiring very quick on your toes thinking and acting, especially on landing. I recall reading that Delmar Benjamin nearly wrapped his R-2 up on one of the very first landings he did, attempting a three-pointer, which the aircraft did not like (of course immediately realizing that main-wheel landings were going to be the only way to go). I had forgotten just how much flying time Delmar had in the R-2 until I looked it up again today - over 1,500 hours!!

This video is played (or used to at least) at Fantasy of Flight, documenting the first time Kermit Weeks flew the aircraft: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaCT_8sK-aM (makes it look easy)

BTW, after listening to Delmar Benjamin talk about how the "Z" handles, I think Alabeo could have dialed back the sensitivity of the ailerons control/effectiveness in their model (I think the Alabeo flight dynamics/handling behavior is probably closer to that of the R-2, based on Delmar's descriptions).

From what I remember reading, I thought Delmar said the only real negative about the handling of the R-2 was roll reversal at high alpha, such as on the flare during landing.

I've been meaning to get these two in the air together for quite some time. This is one of the first sets I've done by doing "actual" air-to-air screenshots (having pre-recorded the lead flight sometime back), snapping from the back seat of a T-6 to try some new/different pov's/angles.

The joys of flight simming...

View with the photo plane:

Great bit of footage, I like the explanation , "Let go and the plane takes over"

The Alabeo Z is the FS aircraft that I keep going back to. Of course who could have guessed that by my avatar?
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

Great stuff as usual John!
    VFR Simulations
    www.vfrsim.com

Even the Gee Bee QED has those beautiful classic lines!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLx007iAtdo

"Time is God's way of keeping everything from happening at once"

Members who have read this thread: 0