Alphasim/Virtavia TSR2

Thread: Alphasim/Virtavia TSR2

Alphasim/Virtavia TSR2

Was it ever released for FSX I know when I had it it was FS9 only.

FS9 only... at the mo. I never tried it in FSX but pretty sure there would be issues with the gauges, glass transparencies, etc.

BB686
    "El gato que camina como hombre" -- The cat that walks like a man

Tom

You can use it in FSX as a port over, I did until recently and I've posted shots here of it in game. I have however migrated my version with ModelConverterX, although I use the T2 cockpit of Piglet's with it. Much easier than the original which was going to be a b...h to do. One bonus of the conversion is that the external weapons came back. I could never get them to display in the port-over.
    It still flies great.

Paul

I did have it for FS9 but I have to purchase a new laptop lost the other one and lost the TSR2 with it.

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    One of my favorite airplanes of all time. Wish someone would do a quality addons. After all these years it Still looks modern. The U.K. Made a big mistake cancelling this one.

Quote Originally Posted by b52bob View Post
    One of my favorite airplanes of all time. Wish someone would do a quality addons. After all these years it Still looks modern. The U.K. Made a big mistake cancelling this one.
    We sure did would have loved to have seen it in RAF service.

I really like the TSR.2 design, but it also had some serious performance limitations. In the end, I think the RAF ended up with a much better aircraft in the Tornado. To me, the real travesty for the RAF was the cancellation of the P.1121.

Having said that, I flew the wings off of this in FS9, especially in all of the fictional repaints made of it. It looked really sporty in that NASA scheme.

I might remember wrong but wasn't it the other way around with the TSR2 being better at more or less everything compared to the Tornado except maybe fighter manoeuvrability? Killing the TSR2 was a political decision, to me it looks like the British politicians tried their very best at ruining the proud British aviation industry in the decades after the war. To be fair, reliability would also probably have been a major issue as the aircraft was to advanced for its time, just as the F-111, and it might have proved to costly for the RAF to get the TSR.2 into a combat ready warplane.

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Burnside View Post
    I did have it for FS9 but I have to purchase a new laptop lost the other one and lost the TSR2 with it.
    The TSR2 project was solely funded by British Aerospace (BAC), without assistance from the British government. As well... without their input. It did fly circles around everything else at the time.

I think it's available on the Alphasim/Virtavia freeware page site.

BB686

Quote Originally Posted by JensOle View Post
    looks like the British politicians tried their very best at ruining the proud British aviation industry.
    Not just aviation. Armed Forces, law enforcement, health services, housing policy, immigration, coal mining, oil industry, car industry, industry generally, scientific innovation. Shall I go on. Oooh look at me getting all political

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird686 View Post
    The TSR2 project was solely funded by British Aerospace (BAC), without assistance from the British government. As well... without their input. It did fly circles around everything else at the time.

BB686
    My understanding was that BAC was a shotgun wedding of many previously independent British aircraft makers. British governments encouraged company mergers and take overs to take part in the TSR2 project. It was government funded which was why the government could kill it by withdrawing funding (See also the Avro Arrow) I don't think the TSR2 is freeware yet.

An interesting RAAF scenery has recently been released by Team SDB which contains a compliment of AI TSR2s as part of a "what if" scenario.

RAAF Scherger Air Force Base (YBSG) by Team SDB.

http://www.pcaviator.com.au/store/pr...e=0&featured=Y

I also just grabbed the freeware Alpha/Virtavia TSR2 from the Virtavia website, but it seems to be for FS02 and CFS02 only.

Cheers,

Quote Originally Posted by harrybasset View Post
    My understanding was that BAC was a shotgun wedding of many previously independent British aircraft makers. British governments encouraged company mergers and take overs to take part in the TSR2 project. It was government funded which was why the government could kill it by withdrawing funding...
    And the government insisted the company with least experience of supersonic aircraft should be in charge of the rest!

A magnificent aircraft if you've seen the real thing (RAF Museum Cosford has one) and an FSX version would be very appealing.
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird686 View Post

BB686
    Actually, it didn't fly circles around everything else. I highly recommend you read TSR.2: Britain's Lost Bomber. It shows many of the advances it made but doesn't sugar coat some of it's serious problems as well. It was an amazing aircraft design, but I find many times what people remember tends to be more mythic than realistic. It would have had serious problems meeting some of it's design goals.

SOH-CM-2023
    As an ex design draughtsman at Vickers Weybridge working on TSR2 for 3 years, it was sad when it was cancelled, but I had left there by the time it flew. I have though read both books, Tim Mcllellands & Damien Burke's, & found the latter a lot better informed & researched. As a young employee we were not fully aware of all the government (ministry) wrangling at the time, but I can now appreciate the intricacies have been involved in later years with the infighting that can happen & the usual British way of 'improving the specification' all the time, rather than freezing it. Nimrod a very good example!
    Not only was it a shot gun wedding of three companies it was also forced on them to use the Olympus engine plus the constraints of the fuselage design which would not allow any growth, it was the first complete weapons system contract that I think was interfered with under ministry control, & in the end its death knell came from the Navy in the form of Mountbatten!!!
    I suppose there can't be many of us left that worked on the beast......
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Dev One View Post
    As an ex design draughtsman at Vickers Weybridge working on TSR2 for 3 years, it was sad when it was cancelled, but I had left there by the time it flew. I have though read both books, Tim Mcllellands & Damien Burke's, & found the latter a lot better informed & researched. As a young employee we were not fully aware of all the government (ministry) wrangling at the time, but I can now appreciate the intricacies have been involved in later years with the infighting that can happen & the usual British way of 'improving the specification' all the time, rather than freezing it. Nimrod a very good example!
    Not only was it a shot gun wedding of three companies it was also forced on them to use the Olympus engine plus the constraints of the fuselage design which would not allow any growth, it was the first complete weapons system contract that I think was interfered with under ministry control, & in the end its death knell came from the Navy in the form of Mountbatten!!!
    I suppose there can't be many of us left that worked on the beast......
    Keith
    My best friend, from here in the States, now lives in Cambridge since his wife works at the university. He said he was like a little kid last year when they made it down to Duxford and he finally got to see the TSR.2; I would have been as well.

My understanding was that BAC was a shotgun wedding of many previously independent British aircraft makers. British governments encouraged company mergers and take overs to take part in the TSR2 project. It was government funded which was why the government could kill it by withdrawing funding (See also the Avro Arrow) I don't think the TSR2 is freeware yet.
    I have heard many different stories about the TSR2, some stating that it was an engineering marvel, others that say it had major design flaws which needed to be weeded out if the plane was to go into production. Over extended and over budget.
    One of it's outstanding attributes was that it was fast, it literally outran an EE Lightning on one engine. From what I understand, the Lightning, which was used as a chase plane, was in full afterburner... Anyhow, you are correct in your assessment about the FS9 Alphasim model not being freeware, the FS-2002 version is. For being such a dated model, one would think it would be tho...

BB686

She sure is cute in FSX!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2016-6-18_23-27-27-261.jpg  

Nice shot iJay. She is a Gallant Bird indeed.

BB686

Quote Originally Posted by ijay View Post
    She sure is cute in FSX!!
    Did you get rid of the opaque square for the HUD in VC cockpit ?

Thanks Roland

Quote Originally Posted by thunder100 View Post

Thanks Roland
    No unfortunately, but maybe one day!

Is there a tutorial on how to add the T-2 VC into the TSR2? I've tried to do it but nothing doing so far.

Quote Originally Posted by thunder100 View Post

Thanks Roland
    Try turning the lights off.

Is there a tutorial on how to add the T-2 VC into the TSR2? I've tried to do it but nothing doing so far.
    It needs to be FSX native to add a VC.

The FS9 version doesn't seem to be available as payware; the only one I can find is the freeware FS02 one. Anyone know where I can get it?

DaveQ
    'Always do sober what you say you'll do when you're drunk. It'll teach you to keep you mouth shut' - Ernest Hemingway

Members who have read this thread: 2