Is there still a reason to buy boxed versions of FSX Addons?

Thread: Is there still a reason to buy boxed versions of FSX Addons?

Is there still a reason to buy boxed versions of FSX Addons?

I was on eBay looking around to see what kind of boxed planes were available and it seems there quite a few. I hate the current trend of loading everything down with DRM that ****s with youre simulator (and mine is unstable enough as it is due to it being a 4 year old install thats migrated across atleast 20 different hardware configurations) and usually locks the addon to your account preventing it from being resold (Read: You don't OWN anything, youre granted access they can revoke if you do something they dont like) and almost always requires you to be online. Do disc versions still just install and go or do boxed FSX addons now have codes that link it to your *Insert addons maker here* account? Specifically im curious about the 727 Captain from Just Flight (I already have Captain Sims 727 but tbh its kinda out of date in terms of visual etc and my computer can handle more)

I could be wrong but I think the Just Flight 727 Captain and the Captain Sim 727 are the same product. Same with the C-130 and probably other products too. I also have the CS 727 and I think it's one of the better add ons I own.

As for your original query, don't get me started about DRM .

But seriously everything seems to be heading the way of digital over hard copies. Not much we can do about it as consumers other than buy or don't buy. I am getting more used to the idea of digital downloads over hard copies, but mainly because the majority of FS products are not available on disc. As long as you have a zipped installer you "should" be right. It is rare (touch wood) for an installer to suddenly stop working due to a companies closure or nefarious activity.

Cheers,

Some distributors are offloading their stock of boxed add-ons so they're going cheap. Seems a good enough reason to me.
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

In time perhaps we will have a resurgence of software on CD.

I see a possible parallel in the resurgence of vinyl records. Possession of a purchased product and the ability to hold it in your sweaty paws is important. Let alone how it sounds better.
    As regards software, how often have you gone to download an update or re-download a corrupted file and find the website down or worse yet, gone altogether.

Apart from nostalgic feelings there isn't a reason for me to buy add-ons on CD anymore. I have a pile of CDs, but also many folders on my back-up disk with the required updates for the contents of these CDs......

Cheers,
    Huub

For most practical purposes, no. You can always download your software purchase, then copy it to a CD, DVD, or flash drive for a backup.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Agree with sentiments expressed here. I think downloads are less painful and if you have a crap postal delivery service now (and getting more limited and longer) then of course downloads are the way to go. Just keep it all backed up because it can be an almighty pain to go through the hoops with some sellers others are great.

I would say however never rely on the MS downloaded version of FSX - I did for awhile and if you think some vendors of addons are a problem (most are not) then you should try dealing with the retail side of MS namely their MS Shoppies. I had a download version, it would not install again properly and needed some fresh downloads (and there were a hell of a lot of really big files nearly 1gb each) MS in this country said cant help have to go to the MS Shop found out the MS Shop I used was based in Germany and you could only speak to them in office hours (opposite side of the globe opposite side of the time zone) in the end I surrendered and went hunting for a boxed FSX which I got cheap at a local games store. Reinstalled in a zip and I have now done so twice due to PC issues (hard drive failures).

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    Not all of us have great internet speed. Our internet here is $75/yr and you get what you pay for. The download for p3d took 10 hours. I would love to have cd's available but don't change me $5 more for them.

Quote Originally Posted by b52bob View Post
    Not all of us have great internet speed. Our internet here is $75/yr and you get what you pay for. The download for p3d took 10 hours. I would love to have cd's available but don't change me $5 more for them.
    Placing content on a server for downloading is inexpensive. Making CD's is more expensive as you have to purchase materials, press the CD, package the CD, then box it for shipping, so I don't think $5 extra for a CD is unreasonable.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stansdds View Post
    Placing content on a server for downloading is inexpensive. Making CD's is more expensive as you have to purchase materials, press the CD, package the CD, then box it for shipping, so I don't think $5 extra for a CD is unreasonable.
    When you're 70, on social security, has a wife that watches every penny you spend and is a crocetly old guy who watches every dollar you do. Besides, I only know of one store where you have an option to get it on cd.

Members who have read this thread: 0