Thread: Starter For Ten

SOH-CM-2020

Starter For Ten

What's new in this screen shot?

(hint: it's not the trees)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Railroad.jpg  

Looks like an invisible train to me.

Blog Entries
    Is that an ME210 or ME410 I can see hiding in the trees?
    CFS3 Battle of Britain Website: https://cfs3bob.wixsite.com/cfs3-bob
    CFS3 ACC Member & ETO Expansion Group

It's Owen; he's trying to fly through the undergrowth now!
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

re-member,remem-ma-member popsaka's Avatar

Icon5 Very woodsie!

Hiding?... hmm, I can't seem to see the forest for the......
    Love this greenery but I fear the FPS hit would be crippling -?-
    Last edited by popsaka; June 14th, 2016 at 07:22. Reason: huh? what where?

SOH-CM-2020
    Another clue: its in the scenery but not the greenery.

And yes, Clive, the aircraft is a 410 but that is nothing new.

PS sorry about the crap quality of the screeny I must investigate Photobucket.

You found Bigfoot?

Power lines
    ~Justin

"I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things . . ." — Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

MAW has power lines, but they disappear if you're using AnKor's Shaders.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

SOH-CM-2020
    Quote Originally Posted by Corpse_Grinder View Post
    Power lines
    Well done that man! This is in my stock install for testing ideas.

Majormagee, I did not notice that MAW had the lines.

I am trying out things in the vectordatalinings.xml, just added "railroad" as a vector and used stock stone walls and power lines. For some reason I do not see the stone walls although I tried adding them to city landclasses only - my GTX770 was brought to its knees - 17FPS.

Wonder what else would be worth putting along stock vectors?

I could not find a list of what constitutes vectors in the SDK.

At a guess, shipping lanes might be vector data. Maybe mines could be sown around the place? Just riffing here..

Since you mentioned stone walls, MAW has that too. The poles are strung with 4 fine (1 pixel) wires that are clearly visible in the original.

US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

SOH-CM-2020
    Quote Originally Posted by MajorMagee View Post
    Since you mentioned stone walls, MAW has that too. The poles are strung with 4 fine (1 pixel) wires that are clearly visible in the original.

Ah, yes, but... Are you sure MAW has the poles alongside railway lines?

What I have done in the stock testbed is to add things like stone walls and telegraph poles to new vector data objects - in the case of this thread, railway lines. I've also made the telegraph poles appear slightly closer to the railway line than the walss and poles are to the road.

What I like about your screenie MajorMagee is that the MAW team tidied up the telegraph pole texture sheet so that the lines do not look so clunky. I will swap the textures to my stock testbed which should be an improvement.

IMHO having telegraph poles alongside railway lines is an interesting addition.

Quote Originally Posted by Daiwilletti View Post
    Well done that man! This is in my stock install for testing ideas.

Majormagee, I did not notice that MAW had the lines.

I am trying out things in the vectordatalinings.xml, just added "railroad" as a vector and used stock stone walls and power lines. For some reason I do not see the stone walls although I tried adding them to city landclasses only - my GTX770 was brought to its knees - 17FPS.

Wonder what else would be worth putting along stock vectors?

I could not find a list of what constitutes vectors in the SDK.

At a guess, shipping lanes might be vector data. Maybe mines could be sown around the place? Just riffing here..
    I tried this once, trying to add trees along the streams, but didn't have any success. Maybe I didn't use the right label, but I'll try your railroad idea to see if I can get the basic concept working.

SOH-CM-2020
    Quote Originally Posted by gecko View Post
    I tried this once, trying to add trees along the streams, but didn't have any success. Maybe I didn't use the right label, but I'll try your railroad idea to see if I can get the basic concept working.
    Hi gecko , that sounds great. I have got the basic concept working quite well for telegraph poles along railway lines, but as I mentioned there doesn't seem to be a list of vector data categories. I simply guessed the railway category. There is plenty of scope for experimentation.

I am experimenting with slight variations between data sets for different landclasses but have not spent enough time to learn just what is possible, may be able to get great distinction between say marsh and forest (with different node centres and different model sets for each landclass). However initial try to distinguish stone wall + telegraph pole for some landclasses, and telegraph poles only for another set of landclasses, have had varying degrees of success.

Are streams actually vector data? I imagine things like shipping lanes are most likely vector data, they seem to fit with roads and rail. Coastline and streams may be treated slightly differently when making terrain. (I have obviously not devoted enough time to reading the Terrain SDK).

SOH-CM-2020

Notes for MajorMagee, Gecko

@MajorMagee,
    I stand corrected! Just looked at MAW vectordatalinings.xml, and sure enough they have included telegraph poles alongside railway lines.

@Gecko,
    on the subject of names for vector data objects, I think if you use "river" instead of "stream" you might get your idea to work. I came across an obscure document which mentions that the four vector data objects are:
    Road, Railroad, River and Shippinglane. These four sets of vector data can be referenced when adding entries to the vectordatalinings.xml file. Not sure if there are any more vector data types.

I plan to upload an alternative vectordatalinings file for ETO, which adds telegraph poles beside railroads for most landclasses. Not sure whether stone walls should be included, it seems to cripple framerates, especially in landclasses where there are a lot of autogen buildings.

Icon20

Aah laddie... you're a gentleman and a scholar. Also I'm hoping you'll pursue this shipping lane business.
    I recall an old install off Nice where shipping used to spawn in QC as well as free flight with wonderful
    regularity as I honed my newfound torpedoing ability...
    It seemed when I flew out with torpedo there'd invariably be sumpin to use it on...
    Ho-hum

I tried setting up some railroad with indifferent results. The game seems to try to put something there, but for some reason won't fully draw the model. I've got a few other projects in line, so I'll leave this one to you, sounds like you've got it down better anyway! I look forward to seeing what you come up with!

SOH-CM-2020

Uploaded Vectordatalinings File

I've just submitted the new file to SOH.

It will appear under CFS3 Other - Scenery

I've tested it in ETO where it works happily, as well as in stock installs. Will work in BoB too I suspect as it has the same landclasses.

I chose to simply add Telegraph lines to railway lines. I left out the stone walls to avoid a FPS hit but you can easily add stone walls to railway lines should you like to test your new computer. The format is shown in the vectordatalinings file, as stone walls are already there for the major roads vector.

Both Telegraph poles and stone walls are modelled for CFS 3 and are in stock and ETO.

However you could always take another linked model and add it to the vectordatalinings file, for weird results . (remember the main vector types are road, railroad, river and shippinglane per an above post)

I quite like the idea of trying shrubbery along rivers, for example. (gecko's suggestion). I will try if and when my addled brain remembers.

Happy flying,

I took a look at improving the Telegraph Pole textures in scenerysheet01.dds. The idea was to make the lines finer, and change the insulators to semi-transparent green glass. It works pretty well, but with AnKor's shaders turned on some strange things happen to the pole and wire models (random missing pixels). I have a question in to Andrey to see if he knows why it does this.

US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Those lines and insulators look amazing, Major!!
    Also the RR locomotive smoke is not in conflict with anything... cool!

Is there any way to make our river/stream textures reflective?

SOH-CM-2020

Icon14

Quote Originally Posted by MajorMagee View Post
    I took a look at improving the Telegraph Pole textures in scenerysheet01.dds. The idea was to make the lines finer, and change the insulators to semi-transparent green glass. It works pretty well, but with AnKor's shaders turned on some strange things happen to the pole and wire models (random missing pixels). I have a question in to Andrey to see if he knows why it does this.

Those poles certainly look nice and clean, MajorM! Amazing touch to make the insulators translucent....

Blog Entries

Icon12

[QUOTE=Pat Pattle;1027719]Is that an ME210 or ME410 I can see hiding in the trees?[/QUOTEt

I tink yer right Clive
    CHEERS

MajorMagee, I've replied to your email, but will explain here as well: My shaders assume that semi-transparent textures in scenerysheet.dds belong to foliage and use dithering instead of alpha blending. This solves issues when parts of terrain or sky were visible through the front row of trees even if they should have been obscured normally.
    There is no easy way to let shaders known when alpha-blending is preferrable over dithering.

Quote Originally Posted by popsaka View Post
    Is there any way to make our river/stream textures reflective?
    I'm working on it. No promises though.

Thanx Ankor... you addressed something I've been wondering about for many 'a CFS3 moon...
    I assume all smoke/steam and similar fx do that weird thing ...(?)

Quote Originally Posted by popsaka View Post
    I assume all smoke/steam and similar fx do that weird thing ...(?)
    No, smoke and other sprites are not supposed to be dithered, but I've actually seen in on some screenshots.
    I don't think WOFF or stock CFS3 has this issue though, so it may be caused by some custom effects. I may try to look into it if I have time (it might help if anyone can provide any details on which textures look weird).

Members who have read this thread: 1