Hurricane Mk I rag wings - Rob?

Thread: Hurricane Mk I rag wings - Rob?

Hurricane Mk I rag wings - Rob?

Got a bit bored, so I made a start on something I think we might like to see some more of, namely rag-wing Hurricanes. This is still very much WIP, and as it owes a great deal to the one Rob did for ETO/W40 - you can't improve on something that's been done properly, so it's only a question of interpretation and subject matter - I thought I'd better ask before I think of releasing it...

The other thing is - do we know who has the GMAX file for this particular model? It would be helpful if we could add a reflective layer, as well as doing something about that blessed cockpit door which isn't a cockpit door and which shouldn't open when the canopy opens.

Meanwhile:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ATTACK IN THE WEST
    MED AIRWAR

John will know, but wasn't that Mathias's model?
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Mathias improved with it for MAW, and certainly did the original cockpit, but it's actually by Patrick Didier who gave us the Spitfire Mk.I as well. I have no idea though who modified it into the early version with the Watts propellor though.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ATTACK IN THE WEST
    MED AIRWAR

Ooo, I like this project! As to a reflective layer, if you're using Ankor's shaders (looks like you are) that can be handled entirely by the specular texture.

Getting rid of that cockpit door would be great, and I for one would like to see a solid prop disk modeled rather than the two blades. In real life you don't see individual blades while the engine is running, even at idle.

Nigel, any chance of seeing a Belgian skin out of this project? I think the Belgian ones had four .50cal guns instead of the .303s, which would be a simple change in the .xdp.

Quote Originally Posted by gecko View Post
    I for one would like to see a solid prop disk modeled rather than the two blades. In real life you don't see individual blades while the engine is running, even at idle.
    That's purely a texture thing, I think CFS3 in its stock form has the full disc but Nigel seems to be using a modified prop texture. In fact it looks eerily like the one I made for myself a very big lot of years ago.

Blog Entries
    I'm pretty sure I still have the PD model albeit modified slightly by Crossram and myself. I don't have any time to fiddle, maybe one of our other modellers? I like the idea of an early model
    CFS3 Battle of Britain Website: https://cfs3bob.wixsite.com/cfs3-bob
    CFS3 ACC Member & ETO Expansion Group

Quote Originally Posted by greycap.raf View Post
    That's purely a texture thing, I think CFS3 in its stock form has the full disc but Nigel seems to be using a modified prop texture. In fact it looks eerily like the one I made for myself a very big lot of years ago.
    With most models that is true, and I have replaced those textures, but on this one the blurred prop actually is modeled with two blades and not a full disk.

I haven't touched the model in any way, so the prop is "as-issued" - all I've done is a bit of painting!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ATTACK IN THE WEST
    MED AIRWAR

Well indeed, the model calls for the normal prop_us_brit.dds but how on earth it has been made to look like that is a very good question. It looks like it never transitions from the idle rev texture to the full speed one.

re-member,remem-ma-member popsaka's Avatar

Icon22 Hey lads...

oooo, I really love the early fabric wing Hurries! ...and an improved spinning prop disc would truly be a welcome fix...
    Perhaps using the 4 blade Spit 9...(?) Wouldn't that fix the lame look with the ai 2 blade as well?
    And a request: Would someone give me/us a link or some histrionics as to the rag wing mk I's career?
    ...and thank you Nigel for the start of what could be a great thread!

...oh, and if you're in the mood for painting, you KNOW I'm in the mood to be downloading!
    ...oh and I do SO agree... that that bleeding cockpit door should never have been modeled to open... AT ALL!
    ...or at the very least only during a bailout(?)
    Last edited by popsaka; June 8th, 2016 at 07:39. Reason: afterthought_afterthought_afterthought...(:-0)

Getting there slowly, but still in need of permission to release...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ATTACK IN THE WEST
    MED AIRWAR

I don't have any Gmax files for the Hurricane, and I never worked on the fabric winged version. Richard Mason did most of the model work for the later Hurricanes for MAW, I don' know if he is still around, last I heard from him he was working on FSX? I'm not 100% sure if he worked on this version Nigel?
    Personally I can't see any reason you can't upload?
    John
    (DR/ MAW/ ETO/ PTO Textures)

Keep it coming!

Icon5

Didn't Patrick give okays for the Hurry and the Spit1 a long time ago? It would just be on Richard (?) now...
    I have one I think I based on Foute Man's texture...
    (and inspiration for the wings from Will Hunter's Yugoslav mk1 in MAW)
    Most folks are okay as long as credit where credit is due...
    (I never could determine if this one was historically correct.)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Shot12-12-13-11-19-01.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo/4 View Post
    I don't have any Gmax files for the Hurricane, and I never worked on the fabric winged version. Richard Mason did most of the model work for the later Hurricanes for MAW, I don' know if he is still around, last I heard from him he was working on FSX? I'm not 100% sure if he worked on this version Nigel?
    Personally I can't see any reason you can't upload?
    The only thing John is that it inevitable borrows fairly heavily from Rob's (?) skin for W40, and so it's reasonable to ask. The model itself has been fiddled with first by Winjeel and then by someone else to do the rag-wing version which has the simple radio mast and two-blade airscrew, but I'm not that worried about permission for the model. It would have been nice to see that blasted 'door' closed though.

The only other thing is that as I'm not sure what has already been covered, I don't want to duplicate existing aircraft such as the 85 Sqn aircraft above.

If Rob doesn't answer within a few days - I've PMed him - then I'll upload it anyway.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ATTACK IN THE WEST
    MED AIRWAR

Hooray... When you (Nigel) go on one of your painting frenzies I go on a downloading marathon!!
    How cool... I never noticed the radio mast

Quote Originally Posted by popsaka View Post
    Hooray... When you (Nigel) go on one of your painting frenzies I go on a downloading marathon!!
    How cool... I never noticed the radio mast
    Simple HF TR.9 mast as opposed to the sheathed TR.9A - same evolution as on the Spitfire. Quickly replaced in turn by the VHF TR1133 which did not require the long aerial wire from the mast to the rudder, as the aeriel was in the mast itself.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ATTACK IN THE WEST
    MED AIRWAR

Quote Originally Posted by ndicki View Post
    The only thing John is that it inevitable borrows fairly heavily from Rob's (?) skin for W40, and so it's reasonable to ask. The model itself has been fiddled with first by Winjeel and then by someone else to do the rag-wing version which has the simple radio mast and two-blade airscrew, but I'm not that worried about permission for the model. It would have been nice to see that blasted 'door' closed though.

The only other thing is that as I'm not sure what has already been covered, I don't want to duplicate existing aircraft such as the 85 Sqn aircraft above.

If Rob doesn't answer within a few days - I've PMed him - then I'll upload it anyway.

Ha right Nigel I see. Rob works away a lot of the time I'm sure he'll get back to as soon as he sees your PM
    As I mentioned I've not been involved with this Hurricane, so no idea who has done what to it, or what schemes have been done?
    Yea the door is a pain! Can't Clive nail it shut, he has the source? I got Steve to close the door on the new Spitfire VII, and VIII.
    John
    (DR/ MAW/ ETO/ PTO Textures)

Keep it coming!

At least on the Spitfire, the door did actually exist! Ideally, it should be on a separate key from the canopy, as you were supposed to take off and land with the canopy open. Better to have it permanently shut, because when all is said and done, you wouldn't be sitting in it with the door open anyway...

Definitely looking forward to these new Spits! Is there a plan for one with a cut-down rear deck?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ATTACK IN THE WEST
    MED AIRWAR

Is there a plan for one with a cut-down rear deck?
    no, not right away. I have toyed with it though.

Well, I do hope you'll toy some more! There's a huge gap in the line-up with the late MkIXe/MkXVIe and MkXIVe. Meanwhile, I'm really looking forward to seeing these new ones!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ATTACK IN THE WEST
    MED AIRWAR

Icon4 ...Plus,

another thing that gives me a pain in that place one sometimes gets a pain is that well, back when the dinosaurs
    still roamed the Earth, there wuz a fellow, Josh Ziebarth "Zuyax" by name who did a gorgeous cut down Spit clipped wing,
    a mk IX or XVI, I dunno which...

...which never materialized (ow my head) !! He also did a ski version and who knows what else!!! (the shadow knows )

Yeah, I remember he had a site which showed nearly all wartime variants of the Spit as CFS3 projects. They looked great.

Blog Entries
    Yea the door is a pain! Can't Clive nail it shut, he has the source?
    The Hurris in the BoB install have the doors nailed shut, and I do have the source files...any of you modellers want a copy? :0)
    CFS3 Battle of Britain Website: https://cfs3bob.wixsite.com/cfs3-bob
    CFS3 ACC Member & ETO Expansion Group

Personally, I wouldn't know what to do with it if I did have it, but it's always worth getting hold of source files, so let's have it anyway! Some of those I've been entrusted with have actually ended up becoming decent models. The Blenheim Mk IV and the Curtiss Hawk come to mind... And I've still got Dancat's lovely Kittyhawk, but nobody to finish it off.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ATTACK IN THE WEST
    MED AIRWAR

Australia Mate! living the good life in Gods Country
    Hi Nigel,

sorry for the late reply, haven't been into SOH for while (cant get into the site from work). The Hurricane Skin is RobH work not mine, he allowed us to use the skins in ETO. I am sure he would not have a problem with you releasing more skins based off his base texture.

again sorry for the late reply, I did read the thread not long after you put it up, but I thought you where directing the question to the other Rob.

regards Rob.
    No other success can compensate for failure in the home..

Members who have read this thread: 0