JustFlight DC-6 A/B

Thread: JustFlight DC-6 A/B

JustFlight DC-6 A/B

Well, I picked this beauty up on sale today from Justflight. its their DC-6A/B. I have always enjoyed flying propliners and its nice to see a more updated version than the old great ones from Greg Pepper and Tom Gibson over on Calclassics.com

She flies like a beauty and is gorgeous to look at. I know how I will spend part of this holiday weekend. Now to see if there are any Delta or military repaints...

SOH Staff .."Bartender" AussieMan's Avatar
    Sadly, for some reason the DC-6 did not prove popular with painters. A search of AVSim or flightsim.com will reveal a few repaints. I have done a repaint in ANSETT-ANA colours but have not uploaded it and Ian Warren has done one in TEAL (now Air New Zealand) and uploaded it here to SOH.

Cheers
    Pat

"Some people might say that freedom is being alone in the bush with the only sounds being the murmurs from the birds ... but I believe freedom is at 5000 feet with no other sound than the engine roaring."- William Hutchison, a young man taken from us far too young (16).

Quote Originally Posted by AussieMan View Post
    Sadly, for some reason the DC-6 did not prove popular with painters. A search of AVSim or flightsim.com will reveal a few repaints. I have done a repaint in ANSETT-ANA colours but have not uploaded it and Ian Warren has done one in TEAL (now Air New Zealand) and uploaded it here to SOH.

Well, The paint kit comes with the fuselage cut in 5 pieces and no master PSD file to do the main artwork then subdivide. Thats a pain the arse. I also note though that JF sells an additional livery addon pack and a military addon. I bought them both. Using purchase credits I had this was nominal at about 12 bucks for both combined. So I have my military birds and combi-cargo birds, but doing any new liveries is hard. I did find a top quality Braniff DC-6B domestic scheme. I grabbed that. I will have to go look for your Ansett scheme!

There are other things that I wish this bird had.

1. The night lighting in the cockpit doesnt work 100%. Its either "full off" or "full on" with the overhead lights etc. This bird was built to have multiple abilities to adjust the night lighting, which I was looking forward to, but not all the lighting knobs seem to work in P3D

2. I wish it had exhaust flame effects like the Greg Pepper/Tom Gibson birds from Calclassic.com. Flown those for years (and still do!). I cut and pasted those over to this JF DC6 and the outboard engine inside pipes line up perfectly. The others dont. Will need to figure out how to realign those.

Otherwise, this airplane is awesome to me.

Eric

Ii actually found the DC-6 paint kit one of the easiest JF kits to work with. That and the F-27. As technology has progressed their paintkits are being produced with Photoshop 6 and as I use Paint Shop Pro X8 it makes things a little more difficult for me to work with them. But I am perservereing with them and succeeding.

I wasn't overly pleased with my Ansett repaint so did not upload it. I am considering uploading it here to SOH.

Cheers
    Pat

"Some people might say that freedom is being alone in the bush with the only sounds being the murmurs from the birds ... but I believe freedom is at 5000 feet with no other sound than the engine roaring."- William Hutchison, a young man taken from us far too young (16).

Ii actually found the DC-6 paint kit one of the easiest JF kits to work with. That and the F-27. As technology has progressed their paintkits are being produced with Photoshop 6 and as I use Paint Shop Pro X8 it makes things a little more difficult for me to work with them. But I am persevering with them and succeeding.

I wasn't overly pleased with my Ansett repaint so did not upload it. I am considering uploading it here to SOH.
    I have photoshop 7 and thats OLD. (years old actually). However it all works well. I could make a master psd file for the left and right sides that would be 5120x1024 then cut it back up when rendering the dds files, but Im too lazy to do that. What I really want is a delta airlines livery. I might have to make that one. I also am not in love with how some liveries have handled the alpha channel on some paints. I think certain parts are too reflective, but thats personal taste. I wish this bird had been more popular because some of the jedi masters of medal would have done marvels with this one. Guys like Rick, Jafo, Jankees, coulda killed this.

I'm a real fan of propliners of this era and I find it disappointing that this one is lacking in alternative schemes.
    They are the reason I keep a 'special FS9' operational, thanks to Cal Classics, VB Factory, Manfred Jahn and JBK.
    Pat, if you decide to upload your Ansett scheme it would be appreciated and EJ, would you be so good as to point me in the direction of the Braniff download please.
    The Connie is another from Just Flight that has been ignored as well, shame as it is such a graceful bird and has a vast number of real life schemes.
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Quote Originally Posted by wombat666 View Post
    I'm a real fan of propliners of this era and I find it disappointing that this one is lacking in alternative schemes.
    They are the reason I keep a 'special FS9' operational, thanks to Cal Classics, VB Factory, Manfred Jahn and JBK.
    Pat, if you decide to upload your Ansett scheme it would be appreciated and EJ, would you be so good as to point me in the direction of the Braniff download please.
    The Connie is another from Just Flight that has been ignored as well, shame as it is such a graceful bird and has a vast number of real life schemes.
    Hi wombat. The Braniff bird and a nice Air Atlantique scheme can be found here:

https://flyawaysimulation.com/downlo...ropliners/240/

That may not be the only site, but thats where I found it.

Also, I found the way JF named the schemes to be both cryptic and difficult to manage in P3D. I henceforth have renamed them as below. (I did the same sort of thing for my international and cargo and military versions)

[fltsim.0]
    title=JF_DC6B American
    sim=JF_DC-6B_CB16
    model=dom
    panel=
    sound=
    texture=AmericanAirlines
    kb_checklists=JF_DC-6B_CB-16_Check
    kb_reference=JF_DC-6B_CB-16_Ref
    ui_manufacturer=Douglas
    ui_type=DC-6B
    ui_variation=American Airlines
    description=American Airlines
    atc_heavy=0
    atc_id=N90752
    atc_airline=American
    atc_flight_number=48
    ui_typerole="Propliner"
    ui_createdby="Just Flight Ltd"
    prop_anim_ratio=0.9

[fltsim.1]
    title=JF_DC6B Braniff radar
    sim=JF_DC-6B_CB16
    model=radardomspin
    panel=
    sound=
    texture=Braniff
    ui_manufacturer=Douglas
    ui_type=DC-6B
    ui_variation=Braniff
    description=Braniff Airways
    atc_heavy=0
    atc_id=N91311
    atc_airline=Braniff
    atc_flight_number=311
    ui_typerole="Propliner"
    prop_anim_ratio=0.9

[fltsim.2]
    title=JF_DC6B Cathay radar
    sim=JF_DC-6B_CB16
    model=radardom
    panel=
    sound=
    texture=Cathay
    ui_manufacturer=Douglas
    ui_type=DC-6B
    ui_variation= Cathay Pacific-DayPlane
    description=Cathay Pacific Airlines
    atc_heavy=0
    atc_id=VR-MFG
    atc_airline=Cathay
    atc_flight_number=53
    ui_typerole="Propliner"
    prop_anim_ratio=0.9

[fltsim.3]
    title=JF_DC6B National radar
    sim=JF_DC-6B_CB16
    model=radardom
    panel=
    sound=
    texture=National
    ui_manufacturer=Douglas
    ui_type=DC-6B
    ui_variation= National Airlines-DayPlane
    description=National Airlines
    atc_heavy=0
    atc_id=N8228H
    atc_airline=National
    atc_flight_number=51
    ui_typerole="Propliner"
    prop_anim_ratio=0.9

[fltsim.4]
    title=JF_DC6B Northeast radar
    sim=JF_DC-6B_CB16
    model=radardom
    panel=
    sound=
    texture=NorthEast
    ui_manufacturer=Douglas
    ui_type=DC-6B
    ui_variation= NorthEast-DayPlane
    description=NorthEast Airlines
    atc_heavy=0
    atc_id=N6583C
    atc_airline=Northeast
    atc_flight_number=52
    ui_typerole="Propliner"
    prop_anim_ratio=0.9

[fltsim.5]
    title=JF_DC6B NWA Radar
    sim=JF_DC-6B_CB16
    model=radardomspin
    panel=
    sound=
    texture=Northwest
    ui_manufacturer=Douglas
    ui_type=DC-6B
    ui_variation=Northwest
    description=Northwest Airlines
    atc_heavy=0
    atc_id=N574
    atc_airline=Northwest
    atc_flight_number=55
    ui_typerole="Propliner"
    prop_anim_ratio=0.9

[fltsim.6]
    title=JF_DC6B Sterling radar
    sim=JF_DC-6B_CB16
    model=radardomspin
    panel=
    sound=
    texture=Sterling
    ui_manufacturer=Douglas
    ui_type=DC-6B
    ui_variation=Sterling
    description=Sterling Airways
    atc_heavy=0
    atc_id=OY-BAV
    atc_airline=Sterling
    atc_flight_number=54
    ui_typerole="Propliner"
    prop_anim_ratio=0.9

[fltsim.7]
    title=JF_DC6B UAL
    sim=JF_DC-6B_CB16
    model=dom
    panel=
    sound=
    texture=United
    ui_manufacturer=Douglas
    ui_type=DC-6B
    ui_variation=United Airlines
    description=United Airlines
    atc_heavy=0
    atc_id=N37568
    atc_airline=United
    atc_flight_number=49
    ui_typerole="Propliner"
    prop_anim_ratio=0.9

I am just painting the stairs and VW and when finished I should be able to upload the file here by maybe Thursday or Friday. Then I might even look at doing a TAA version as well.

Cheers
    Pat

Thanks for the link EJ, I found a few other interesting paints for several other aircraft as well!

And Pat, looking forward to your Ansett scheme when you get her finished, no rush BTW, and a TAA version would be very welcome, but I'm patient, so don't bust a gut over it.
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

I have been hesitating to get that plane, which is quite often on sales, but I haven't bought it until now because of the textures. As mentioned here, this plane doesn't have much repaints available, and the default repaint have the same problem as on their Connie: the rendering of the default textures is not realistic at all, which is a shame because the 3D model looks quite lovely.
    I'm really curious to see how much you guys are going to improve that model with your new skins

Quote Originally Posted by Daube View Post
    I have been hesitating to get that plane, which is quite often on sales, but I haven't bought it until now because of the textures. As mentioned here, this plane doesn't have much repaints available, and the default repaint have the same problem as on their Connie: the rendering of the default textures is not realistic at all, which is a shame because the 3D model looks quite lovely.
    I'm really curious to see how much you guys are going to improve that model with your new skins
    Personally, I thought the default skins were well done. I dont like how they were textured on the model because it makes repainting very hard (5 segments on each side of the fuselage.) Most folks dont want to go through the alignment hassles with that. It does have a paint kit. However again, 5 segments per side. Would have been better to have one 5120x1024 master psd file to do the painting, with hash marks to show where to cut up into segments. You'd need two of those...one for right and one for left sides.

if I ever get around to making the master psd files, I'll repaint a bunch of these. The problem is I dont have the time due to work and biz travel.

Quote Originally Posted by wombat666 View Post
    And Pat, looking forward to your Ansett scheme when you get her finished, no rush BTW, and a TAA version would be very welcome, but I'm patient, so don't bust a gut over it.
    Ansett-ANA repaint is in the library now. Go get it.

Cheers
    Pat

Ansett-ANA repaint is in the library now. Go get it.
    Awesome!!! thanks!!!

Eric

Members who have read this thread: 0