Sad news for this memorial day...

Thread: Sad news for this memorial day...

Sad news for this memorial day...

..a Republic P-47D on loan from the American air Museum went down on Friday into the Hudson River. Apparently from a power failure, Sadly the gentleman in the pilot seat did not get out before it sank. He has since died and taken his final flight. This was during a event promotional flight for a flight that is scheduled for Monday Memorial Day of WW2 Aircraft. I believe that they gave the name as Powers from Fla. Sorry I don't have more at this time but the so-called informed press doesn't seem to have a clue about this! Some even referred to the plane as a "WW2Jet"!!! Ironically, because of looming weather, the event may have to be cancelled.
    I remember that a plane was involved in a abort during a DC flyover back several months ago and was the subject of a You-tube segment. Anyone know if it was this plane then?

The aircraft involved was the American Airpower Museum's P-47 "Jacky's Revenge", and the pilot who was killed was Bill Gordon, a very accomplished/experienced airshow and vintage aircraft pilot. The aircraft was reportedly flying with the Museum's P-40 and a photo-plane, for some evening air-to-air photography, when the pilot reported engine problems (and smoke noted as spewing from the exhaust).

Earlier today the aircraft was recovered, and an investigation by the FAA is of course underway to determine what mechanical issue was at fault. More information and photos of the aircraft being recovered earlier today:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...am-Gordon.html

(The other aircraft that you speak of was the Military Aviation Museum's TBM Avenger, which had a hydraulic issue while flying in the Washington DC flyover last year (May 2015) - and all was sorted within an hour after it had made that well-seen emergency landing - the problem itself having been a very minor/small crack in one of the hydraulic lines.)
    Last edited by Bomber_12th; May 28th, 2016 at 15:05.

Alpine, CA in San Diego's beautiful back country!
    What a terrible shame. Condolences to all affected.

MR
    "A sandwich and a cup of coffee, and then off to violin-land, where all is sweetness and delicacy and harmony, and there are no red-headed clients to vex us with their conundrums.”

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH
    MR Albums at SOH MR Web Site

Bomber...

..thanks for the clarification. I had first seen it on a UK wire which was a real mishmash. Then some of the local radio stations, who can't even tell you if is raining out, gave blurbs about it. Just saw that the name was Gordon, who apparently hailed from Key West (as they report). Remembered the previous incident just couldn't remember what kind of A\C it was.

Either way what a sad day and condolences to all you are family and friends of the pilot. May me R.I.P.

Hi All,

I had the pleasure of seeing this P-47 fly at last years Reading Pa. WW2 fly in. I was looking forward to seeing it fly again this coming weekend. It's sad when any of these Warbirds has a problem. It's worse when there is loss of life. My condolences to the pilots family and friends.
    Bob
    "These Blockbuster Bombs don't go off unless you hit them JUST right". "Agent Provacateur".

Icon9 Reply...

Good morning,

My condolences to the pilot and the family now dealing with this unexpected loss. The plane seems secondary right now, but I hope it can be salvaged.
    "Rami"

"Me? I'm just a Sea of Tranquility in an Ocean of Storms, babe."

My campaign site: http://www.box.net/shared/0k1e1rz29h
    My missions site: http://www.box.net/shared/ueh4kazk3v
    My scenery site: http://www.box.net/shared/knb1l0ztobhs2esb14rb

Quote Originally Posted by Rami View Post
    Good morning,

My condolences to the pilot and the family now dealing with this unexpected loss. The plane seems secondary right now, but I hope it can be salvaged.
    The real tragedy/sad part about it, is that the pilot did a textbook/very skilled ditching of the aircraft (there appears to be rather minimal damage to the aircraft), but it sounds like he got tangled up/couldn't get himself out of the cockpit in-time before the aircraft quickly became submerged. The aircraft was recovered early Saturday morning, and based on the photos I've seen, there will be little challenge in restoring the aircraft to flight again (just time and money).

Members who have read this thread: 0