Yak-130 reworking for high resolution 4096
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Yak-130 reworking for high resolution 4096

Yak-130 reworking for high resolution 4096

Hadi Tahir's Yakovlev 130 for FSX from 2008 wasn't all that bad as models go being FSX native rather than several equivalents that were quite primitive...[ie. the Aermacchi M-346] but suffered from having just the one paint...in mostly all-over black and in low res 1024.

Having done reworks in high resolution [4096] of several of Tim [Piglet] Conrad's aircraft [first for me was the A12A Avenger II] I thought I'd dive in and have a go at the Yak.

One 'plus' was it was all on the one bitmap, so there was no chasing details across several images. Unfortunately, the way the model was mapped to the image [or the other way round] meant I ended up chasing details all over the one image instead.

Part of the drama [the biggest bit] was that several sections of the mapping were not plumb to the image [or each other], so it wasn't a simple...draw once...mirror and you have the other half....auto-aligned.

And there are no images for the U/C doors insides...or their bays...or the U/C itself, etc.... really only the 'outer skin', and there were 'bits' of that all over the place, but by one bit at a time...and so far 224 screengrabs later of trial and error [like the desktop screenshot below] ....I'm 'almost' there.

I'm still chasing lines... text/details...and have no 'rivets' yet... but I reckon just a mere few more "months" it'll be done...and uploaded as a kit for others to mess around with...

In that shot you see grab 224 on the left... and the psp of the kit and the layers...and the trial/error gridlines I use to define boundaries....and cut the sections so they stitch together with minimal overlap to assist alignments.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Yak130-WIP.jpg  

Paul,

So far looking good! The efforts are appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by henrystreet View Post
    Paul,

So far looking good! The efforts are appreciated!
    Thanks, mate...

Here's how far it's gone.... still finding anomalies that tax success...but am getting there slowly...

How it came 'out of the box'...

....and how it is at the moment.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Yak130-Current.jpg   Yak130-Original.jpg  

Did I mention the right under-wing hard points are only 'half there'? One side is modeled...but not the other...or the bottom...

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    Always liked this plane along with the Italian equivalent. Thanks for doing this.

Bob

It's the law of diminishing returns....but I've mostly got the linework done to a point most people will think it's legit.

One or two little bits to do...and then get out the rivet gun.

Needless to say, once you reduce intensity on the lines and bumps much of it is lost...

And once it's all in a kit it's easy to do others like a blue ver.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Yak130-almost.jpg   Yak130-blue.jpg  
    Last edited by Jafo; May 29th, 2016 at 21:09.

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    Looking great!

Really beautiful. The model really deserved great textures like this!

Took a break from rivets....to see how a different paint adds....

Here's a display ver from around 2013.
    Note the canopy frames picking up the bottom fuse colour.
    Other than that it's not too bad...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Yak130-display-1.jpg  

Tried a camo....found a few more anomalies...and reduced others....

Back to the rivet gun.....

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Yak130-camo-1.jpg  

Nice work Jafo, it's looking good.

This is a huge transformation based on what the original looked like. I really enjoy these "compact" jets. . .in the same vein as the Gnat, Alpha Jet, AMX and the S-211 that Dino has decided on. Wasn't very exciting out of the box, but your expertise has definitely changed things. Outstanding work.

Glad you're liking it.
    Seems to be now beyond a labour of love ... can't find definitive rivet layout/s yet...so got a bit dirty instead...
    Probably will have to mostly ignore the rivets...as more often than not there's a model issue.

Edit.....
    Added some panel shading...

Edit 2 ...and what the Russian Green now looks like..

Edit again ....the 'Display' version....note the 'anomaly'...the nosewheel doors are about as odd as a paint can get....the orange is from the canopy tops.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Yak130-display-4.jpg   Yak130-green-4.jpg   Yak130-camo-4.jpg   Yak130-camo-3.jpg  
    Last edited by Jafo; June 1st, 2016 at 20:47.

Quote Originally Posted by Jafo View Post
    Glad you're liking it.
    Seems to be now beyond a labour of love ... can't find definitive rivet layout/s yet...so got a bit dirty instead...
    Probably will have to mostly ignore the rivets...as more often than not there's a model issue.
    Yep, rivets are a quandary sometimes. Maybe just a suggestion of rivets in some areas to define a line here or there. . .maybe get the effect without a really defined rivet pattern. Still in all. . .lookin' great!

I had this 'silly' idea of using my 'almost done' paintkit on a 'new' scheme.... one of the 4 Yaks for Belarus .... then hit a snag....can't find anything vaguely 'top-down' to know what's on the darn wings...

Found this while looking for shots of the cockpit:

https://youtu.be/yC4jG-wuVoc

I assumed that this was going to be an overview of the actual aircraft. . .and it is in a way, just not what I expected. The detail is amazing.

I had this 'silly' idea of using my 'almost done' paintkit on a 'new' scheme.... one of the 4 Yaks for Belarus .... then hit a snag....can't find anything vaguely 'top-down' to know what's on the darn wings...
    For a moment I thought you pressed "merge all visible layers" I have done that one time too often in the past
    Or another one "save as bmp" and don't save all you updates in PSP.......

The life of a repainter is never easy! but I can assure you; your efforts are appreciated.

Huub

That's utterly insane...
    Only 'model' I can think of that can top it was those impetuous Ruskies who decided to build a model Tiger tank....at 1:1 scale...
    Last edited by Jafo; June 3rd, 2016 at 08:10.

Quote Originally Posted by huub vink View Post
    For a moment I thought you pressed "merge all visible layers" I have done that one time too often in the past
    Or another one "save as bmp" and don't save all you updates in PSP.......

The life of a repainter is never easy! but I can assure you; your efforts are appreciated.

Huub
    Nah....I simply can't find a photo of what the camo and markings look like on the wings....

....so I side-tracked to draw the number 'fonts' used by hand.....couldn't find a font set for the '02' either....the ones I'd used so far were cut from a photo....and looked it.

Edit....
    Pretty much finished...other than individual plane specifics.... there are variations...
    Here's the Display ver now with drawn numbers, and other bits...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Yak130-display-5.jpg  
    Last edited by Jafo; June 3rd, 2016 at 08:08.

Nah....I simply can't find a photo of what the camo and markings look like on the wings....

....so I side-tracked to draw the number 'fonts' used by hand.....couldn't find a font set for the '02' either....the ones I'd used so far were cut from a photo....and looked it
    Sounds familiar. Normally I start searching for the correct font and in the end draw the number by hand. And you will only find the correct font once you finished you hand drawn fonts....

The repaint look great Jafo

Cheers,
    Huub

This one's finally 'finished'. Took a while to draw the popup canopy latch....got that from the Video of the model.
    Had inadvertently added an error I'd resolved earlier...so took a bit to reverse it.
    In good old English slang....the pilots look a little 'naff'...so maybe need to see what can be done there...

Huub...yes...can't count the number of times I've done a detail/font by hand only to subsequently find 'the easy way' straight after...

Now, the paint above is with my altered model with [among other things] a less virile spec shine.... but here's the same paint applied to Hadi's original.
    I wouldn't be able to upload/release my ver of the model without some form of prior consent.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Yak130-display-final.jpg   Yak130-display-final original model.jpg  

I've given up on the Belarus....still no idea what the topdown looks like...and that's pretty much all of a 130.

Main thing is...I have drawn all the numbers....0 to 9 in both sizes [front-side fuse and rear-side fuse] so the kit is 'complete' in that regard...

Time to find a different paint than the Belarus...to see how the kit handles a new one.....one that has sufficient photos...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Yak130-belarus-1.jpg  

Well....01 has gotta be significant....and has the '130' on the back end...so was one to paint specifically....
    Has a few differences so took more than a simple repaint....the bump had to change too...

Has the sexy new stars with the blue line... and the big 'IRKUT' Logo on the tail.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Yak130-blue-final.jpg  

These look great Jafo!

Members who have read this thread: 0