Amazing feat

Thread: Amazing feat

Amazing feat

I just found this: http://www.thevintagenews.com/2016/0...ers-half-hour/

I salute this man.
    "De Oppresso Liber"

He's always impressed me as one of the "Greats". I once had a 'Ding Hao' P51B model as a kid. I believe that he also holds the distinction of being the only US fighter pilot to hold the status of ace in two theaters against both German and Japanese adversaries.
    Last edited by bearcat241; May 27th, 2016 at 16:50.

"If you're in a fair fight, you didn't plan it right"

One Man Air Force

January 11, 1944, near Oschersleben, Germany.

“Col. Howard, with his group, at once engaged the enemy and himself destroyed a German ME. 110. As a result of this attack Col. Howard lost contact with his group, and at once returned to the level of the bomber formation. He then saw that the bombers were being heavily attacked by enemy airplanes and that no other friendly fighters were at hand. While Col. Howard could have waited to attempt to assemble his group before engaging the enemy, he chose instead to attack single-handed a formation of more than 30 German airplanes. With utter disregard for his own safety he immediately pressed home determined attacks for some 30 minutes, during which time he destroyed 3 enemy airplanes and probably destroyed and damaged others. Toward the end of this engagement 3 of his guns went out of action and his fuel supply was becoming dangerously low.”

Not to change the subject. Where did you get the Ding Hao texture? And, whose P-51b is that?

Thanks,

Bob
    Last edited by bub; May 31st, 2016 at 10:52.
    "These Blockbuster Bombs don't go off unless you hit them JUST right". "Agent Provacateur".

Quote Originally Posted by bub View Post
    Not to change the subject. Where did you get the Ding Hao texture? And, whose P-51b is that?
    Thanks,
    Bob
    Hi Bub,

It's a convert from WBS.

These men had "testicular fortitude". Always think about Cdr David McCampbell downing nine fighters in October 1944. Sure, Japanese aviators overall were no longer the best of the best at that point and McCampbell was a well trained Ace flying an F6F, but still one hell of feat.

Thank you, sir. And, thanks for the link.
    Bob
    "These Blockbuster Bombs don't go off unless you hit them JUST right". "Agent Provacateur".

Icon22 Reply...

Shadow Wolf 07,

I was amazed when you showed me this article, and the fact that this pilot took on this responsibility to preserve the bomber really shows his courage and bravery.

The other primary example I can think of that exemplifies extraordinary flying skills and coolness under pressure is Stanley "Swede" Vejtasa, who shot down two Zeroes and possibly claimed a third in a SBD Dauntless dive-bomber during the Battle of the Coral Sea on May 8th, 1942. He was awarded the Navy Cross for his actions, but that was primarily for self-preservation, not the lives of a bomber crew.

The "666" B-17 bomber story is another astounding example of aerial bravery, which is also in the episode.

"Rami"

"Me? I'm just a Sea of Tranquility in an Ocean of Storms, babe."

My campaign site: http://www.box.net/shared/0k1e1rz29h
    My missions site: http://www.box.net/shared/ueh4kazk3v
    My scenery site: http://www.box.net/shared/knb1l0ztobhs2esb14rb

Quote Originally Posted by Rami View Post
    Shadow Wolf 07,

I was amazed when you showed me this article, and the fact that this pilot took on this responsibility to preserve the bomber really shows his courage and bravery.

The other primary example I can think of that exemplifies extraordinary flying skills and coolness under pressure is Stanley "Swede" Vejtasa, who shot down two Zeroes and possibly claimed a third in a SBD Dauntless dive-bomber during the Battle of the Coral Sea on May 8th, 1942. He was awarded the Navy Cross for his actions, but that was primarily for self-preservation, not the lives of a bomber crew.

The "666" B-17 bomber story is another astounding example of aerial bravery, which is also in the episode.

Interesting you posted the clip about Vejtasa's feat. I just finished 12 Coral Sea missions and few extras, currently testing before put them together for release. One mission you fly the anti torpedo patrol as "Swede" and have Zeros to deal with, it takes some tricky flying to survive.

Quote Originally Posted by dasuto247 View Post
    ...One mission you fly the anti torpedo patrol as "Swede" and have Zeros to deal with, it takes some tricky flying to survive.
    Smart flying is required, rather than tricky, when taking on superior numbers flying superior aircraft. And Swede left one major and extremely valuable clue which is clearly illustrated in Rami's featured Dogfights episode. He said that he determined to keep as many of his attackers as possible at his front quarters with head-on aspects rather than allowing the majority at his six. This gave him an inherently offensive posture at all times, despite being the underdog, with the added benefit of forcing any attackers at his six to be extra cautious about shooting down one of their own attacking him head-on or about possible collisions. In other words, the guy on your six has more to think about when one of his own is coming at you and him head-on with guns blazing.

By keeping the "gang" in frontal aspects you get multiple fights from which to pick the one most advantageous to you for the quickest kill, while also presenting a good opportunity at a quick secondary target once the best pick is dispatched. If you're accustom to a low winning percentage when putting your Wildcat up against a sky full of Zeros, put this one in your playbook.

Ever since i first saw this History channel episode, i have routinely practiced this strategy with much success in my QC and dogfighting missions flying various fighters in woefully outnumbered scenarios, like one against four to eight "Ace" enemies. I've even effectively mimicked Swede's fight in some SBD vs Zero actions. This strategy literally takes the fear out of being outnumbered altogether, enhances the fighter pilot's best friend of situational awareness, and with good stick work and sharpshooting, it almost seems more like a turkey shoot for the player.

IMO, this strategy should be added to the list of traditional fundamentals for aerial combat, like The Dicta Boelcke and Sailor Malan's Ten Rules for Air Fighting, both of which are as old as air combat itself but still taught in modern "Clobber Schools" internationally.

"If you're in a fair fight, you didn't plan it right"

Members who have read this thread: 0