Micro$oft up to its old tricks again... - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Micro$oft up to its old tricks again...

One of the handy little options in GWX is the 'Clear Windows Update Cache'.
    Out-bloody-standing!

I cleared it last Monday and it removed a triple digit number of 'hidden updates' plus any trace of W10 'invitations', ran it a few minutes ago and it nuked another 32 updates!
    I'll still check but I'll do it my way.
    And a reminder please team, we do NOT discuss anything resembling politics in ANY forum on this site.
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wombat666 View Post
    One of the handy little options in GWX is the 'Clear Windows Update Cache'.
    Out-bloody-standing!

I cleared it last Monday and it removed a triple digit number of 'hidden updates' plus any trace of W10 'invitations', ran it a few minutes ago and it nuked another 32 updates!
    I'll still check but I'll do it my way.
    And a reminder please team, we do NOT discuss anything resembling politics in ANY forum on this site.

I downloaded and ran the GWX...cleared 37 from the Update Cache.

BTW...
    If any one here posts up a fix for the frigging' tool tip balloon in Win10...I'd be extremely grateful. I have coded the darned thing out ten ways to Sunday, but I still get the ridiculous little sucker every time I roll over anything.

Using the mouse some balloons have been suppressed, but with the Wacom Pen and Tablet..no joy, always a balloon.

Worst part is in the SDK annotator. Imagine placing every tree and house in a small city one little square at a time...when I go to draw the square, bingo up pops the balloon right on top of the space I want to draw. It is absolutely maddening...

At one point I had fixed it...but when Win10 updates, it comes right back.
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

Going to be interesting to what Redstone 1 update will bring to Win 10. Something like 1200 changes.

"Time is God's way of keeping everything from happening at once"

Quote Originally Posted by TuFun View Post
    Going to be interesting to what Redstone 1 update will bring to Win 10. Something like 1200 changes.
    An interesting choice of name for it.

Quote Originally Posted by KellyB View Post
    An interesting choice of name for it.
    They didn't ALL blow up...

Quote Originally Posted by AckAck View Post
    They didn't ALL blow up...
    But when they did, it was spectacular!

I was listening on the radio a discussion of Windows 10 by Lauren Weinstein and a lady called in stating that Win 10 was trying to install on her computer. Like others she rejected the process, but found it was installing anyways. The attempted install failed... not enough memory!

"Time is God's way of keeping everything from happening at once"

It would seem to me that clicking "no" to an update notice of any kind, from anyone on YOUR personal computer, should be the end of it. Having Windows 10 begin to download and install on your machine after you specifically click "no" because you choose not to have it, or as one gentleman stated in an earlier post.. some of his software won't run under Windows 10, to me is the same as being forced to agree to something without being allowed to read the contract. Not sure if there is any legal implications involved here but "agreeing" to an action, such as allowing Microsoft to install Windows 10 by clicking "no" or closing the update window altogether doesn't seem to be on the level...in any case. I don't like the method MS is using to foist Windows 10 on to my machine... it won't handle it. Windows 10 may be just fine on a different machine that was designed to handle it's requirements.

It's like going to the hospital to have a medical procedure done, and agreeing to what the doctors are going to do to you, without them telling you about what's what. Just my 2 bits....

BB686
    "El gato que camina como hombre" -- The cat that walks like a man

Call your lawyers boys and girls....

http://www.computerworld.com/article...0-upgrade.html
    "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!" Some SOH Founder.

Yea! I read that yesterday in RadioReference.com and was just fixing to pass it along here.
    Bill Leaming
    3d Modeler Max/GMax
    C & XML Gauge Programmer

Military Visualizations
    http://milviz.com

Intel® Core™ i7-3770k 4.2GHz - Crucial 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD770 1GB DDR5 (Crossfire) - Eco II Watercooling - Win7 64bit
    Intel® Core™ i7-2600k 3.4GHz - Crucial 8GB DDR3 - NVIDIA EVGA GTX-770 SC 4GB - Win7 64bit

In a moment of madness (I blame Jack Daniels for my poor judgement) on Saturday I thought "oh what the hell" and let W10 install. It all went flawlessly in about 25 minutes. Then I fired up FSX..... Uh oh, that took 3 minutes boot up. The the aircraft selection screen took about 40 seconds to open up. 3 minutes select and run a flight. Then the actual sim, well that was like a kinetoscope. I even deleted the fsx.cfg to see if that was the problem. It wasn't. By evening time I was back in W7. That went pretty seamlessly and in less than 10 minutes.

Members who have read this thread: 0