Scimitar by Rob Richardson.... - Page 2
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Scimitar by Rob Richardson....

That looks very, very good Dave, where did you get the stencil information?
    I was at Yeovilton recently to look at their Scimitar only to find it has a fairly new coat of paint and hardly a stencil to be seen.
    scim_fuselage2.psd is surplus to requirements, I forgot to take it out.

Quote Originally Posted by robcarrich View Post
    Jens, all is forgiven!
    However well intentioned your advice may have been, to criticise my Scimitar is almost akin to calling my daughters ugly!
    You must realize certain shortcuts have to be taken on occasions, In my virtual storeroom I have a stock of readymade weapons and in the AA sub store I have one Sidewinder one Sparrow and one Firestreak.
    Really? It seemed to me he was saying that your daughter was beautiful....but that her purse didn't match her dress.

Seriously though, when someone has created something (as you have) that is so well done, some can't help thinking about a small thing (to them at least) that would make it perfect.

where did you get the stencil information?
    In order to expedite 154, I pulled the few you can see from the Virtavia Scimitar PK (I own the model and the PK is freely available at the Virtavia freeware site). The larger ones are readily available (or readable) from shots online.. the very small ones less so. Very small black text where text should be does the trick 112 at Yeovilton hasn't had stencils for donkeys so I doubt the latest paint has painted over them!! There are a number of CMR sheets available (for their resin kit) at a decent size online and these will undoubtedly fill some holes

Talking of stencils.. when I put the side number on the nose door, it looked a little small. I've since twigged that the number is the right size.. the nose gear door is too big! There should be a large nose gear door that hinges out to the right and the smaller door is attached to the nose gear. No matter. Couldn't understand why the numbers looked small when they were as big as I could make them

DL..
    Good to see ya mate. The backdrop for those screenies is St Michaels Mount, Cornwall, which comes with GenXv3. It might be there in ver2 too.. can't remember.
    ATB
    DaveB

Quote Originally Posted by DaveB View Post
    In order to expedite 154, I pulled the few you can see from the Virtavia Scimitar PK (I own the model and the PK is freely available at the Virtavia freeware site). The larger ones are readily available (or readable) from shots online.. the very small ones less so. Very small black text where text should be does the trick 112 at Yeovilton hasn't had stencils for donkeys so I doubt the latest paint has painted over them!! There are a number of CMR sheets available (for their resin kit) at a decent size online and these will undoubtedly fill some holes

Talking of stencils.. when I put the side number on the nose door, it looked a little small. I've since twigged that the number is the right size.. the nose gear door is too big! There should be a large nose gear door that hinges out to the right and the smaller door is attached to the nose gear. No matter. Couldn't understand why the numbers looked small when they were as big as I could make them

DL..
    Good to see ya mate. The backdrop for those screenies is St Michaels Mount, Cornwall, which comes with GenXv3. It might be there in ver2 too.. can't remember.
    ATB
    DaveB
    The model has the two doors, the largest of them opening to the right then closing when gear is fully extended, the Scimitar at Yeovilton has the side hinged door closed but I see in some photos of
    other aircraft that door remains open on the ground.

After takeoff and before landing too Rob. It makes sense to close it on the ground.. particularly as a static like 112 at Yeovilton.. to stop crud getting into unwanted places.

I don't know the technicalities of the Scimitars doors.. it was just an observation mate. I'm happy to have one I like for once
    ATB
    DaveB

Retired SOH Administrator Ferry_vO's Avatar

Wonderful aircraft Rob!

Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

Got her flying and managed to not bend it on first landing! Note to noobs like me: download the RFN gauge 4.21 zip, but in that zip you only need extract the contents of the Gauges folder to your FSX Gauges folder. The panel.cfg is already primed and ready for 'em.

Then go fly!

@Ferry:– lovely screenshot, reminds me of Yeovilton Air Days in the sun
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Indeed a stellar screenshot Ferry ! Mike

Blog Entries

DL..
    ATB
    DaveB
    Thanks Dave - so many great payware addons, so many choices!

Thanks for the note Rob - will download tonight - can't wait!

dl

Quote Originally Posted by Ferry_vO View Post
    Wonderful aircraft Rob!

Wonderful shot Ferry!

Cees

More sea trials

ATB
    DaveB

EDIT: Note to prospective repainters.. that last shot was useful for showing the engine blanks aren't included in the paint kit so have to be taken off the master for 112. Likewise, the titanium plates at the exhaust (which are included in that shot).
    ATB
    DaveB
    Last edited by DaveB; May 27th, 2016 at 00:33. Reason: Added footnote

Rob,
    Am a big fan and collector of your work, both military and GA. I bought the AS Scimitar recently but have had some "buyer's remorse". Your model looks superior + looking forward to trapping her on the Vic.
    Expat
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Loved this airplane

(((I don't know but the Takeoff assistant stopped to work on AI carriers FSX SE, I am back to use ArrestorCables v2.6 !!!!!!!! any idea to solve this problem?! or this is come with FSX Steam update!? )))

It has such a mild-mannered FD Expat, even a beginner should have little difficulty trapping. I can certainly recommend the model to anyone who has found carrier ops difficult (especially in a jet), those who want to take the plunge but don't know what to fly and.. seasoned naval aviators who fancy a more relaxed ride down to the wires.

ATB
    DaveB

So smooth..!

Thumbs up on this one. Finally got time to waste some fuel and must say it has the smoothest ride one could want onto the deck. First time, bang on! If you love 'non-electric' jets that fly great and look even better
    ('cause it's British design) ,this is a must have, must fly!
    Thanks for your efforts on this classic naval fighter, much appreciated.

Walt
    Fly High..Punch Holes in the Sky

Dave, what font on underwing reg?
    I couldn't find quite the right one.

Hiya Rob

It's RAF_PW_ATH.. RAF

Works fine for both RAF and RN
    EDIT: It's a bit clunky and there's no lower-case plus spacing can be a bit OTT at times but it's a great font and a MUST for later Brit stuff. I have Warpaint#85 on the way too!!
    ATB
    DaveB

Rob, thanks so much for your latest creation! A most welcome addition to the virtual Royal Navy hangar ! Mike

Rob..

Re the underwing fonts.. 112 (and some others) use a slightly different font to RAF_PW.. one of the WWII fonts may be closer WW2Fonts

RAF_PW is good for the titles though
    ATB
    DaveB

Rob..

Re the underwing fonts.. 112 (and some others) use a slightly different font to RAF_PW.. one of the WWII fonts may be closer WW2Fonts

RAF_PW is good for the titles though
    ATB
    DaveB
    Thank you very much Dave.
    Had to reinstall Win 10 a few weeks ago onto a new SSD, I had most of the RAF fonts saved but since the demise of "simmers paintshop" not all of them.

Quote Originally Posted by robcarrich View Post
    Thank you very much Dave.
    Had to reinstall Win 10 a few weeks ago onto a new SSD, I had most of the RAF fonts saved but since the demise of "simmers paintshop" not all of them.
    Gads.. I know that feeling Rob. I still have the vast majority of FS fonts on my WinXP rig and every now and again.. I waste an hour trawling through them all to find the one I want then drag it over to this rig!
    ATB
    DaveB

Hey Rob,

If you are missing any of the downloads from SPS you can find them here :

http://www.logtnest.nl/the-heritage-...rs-paint-shop/

Joe
    I7 6700K @ 4.8 / Gigabyte Z170X UD3 / 16GB G.Skill TridentZ 3200mhz / EVGA GTX 1070 Ti FTW Ultra 8GB / EVGA SuperNova 750 G2
    Samsung 960 Evo NVMe M.2 250gb Boot Drive / 960 Evo 1 TB SSD - Game Drive / WD Blue 500GB SSD - Sim Drive / WD Black 1TB HD
    Fractal Design Celsius S36 AIO Cooler / Fractal Design Define R6 / LG
    32GK850G-B 32" 1440P 144Hz G-Sync Monitor

Nice one Joe

ATB
    DaveB

Quote Originally Posted by Butcherbird17 View Post
    Hey Rob,

If you are missing any of the downloads from SPS you can find them here :

http://www.logtnest.nl/the-heritage-...rs-paint-shop/

Joe
    Thank you very much Joe, I've been to that link a while back and got one of those Microsoft security warnings.
    I'll try it again.

PS. I take that back the site is good to go!

Members who have read this thread: 3