ViggenX -

Thread: ViggenX -

ViggenX -

Viggen team, I'm absolutely loving this bird! Truth be told I did add rudimentary bump.maps, alpha and fresnel as a test to JA model. Marvelous work gentlemen! A real beauty. Thank you!

MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO
    Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

Thanks again for your support Rick. Truth to tell, I could do with a tutorial from someone on how to create bump maps. As Henk said in the Swedish Thunderbolt thread, metallic Viggens had a paint coat that reduced their reflectivity to next to nothing, which is why we left it off. But these screenshots look really nice. Here's another we've worked on which, because it's still available as payware, has to remain private for now.

DaveQ
    'Always do sober what you say you'll do when you're drunk. It'll teach you to keep you mouth shut' - Ernest Hemingway

Thanks for the kind words!

As Dave mention, the Viggens were in matt bare metal. Albeit a slight shine, the appearance was far from polished metal. After a few years the matt metal looked more like a light grey paint. Of course a brand new factory fresh Viggen would appear more shine than an in service aircraft.

It is quite interesting that the splinter scheme which the Viggens got after a few years was a camouflage used on everything in the Swedish military from aircraft, uniforms, vehicles to ships!

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

Yes I heeded your original post about it being matted. I left the alpha almost completely white...just a little to take advantage of the fresnel I added. There's not much to improve upon you guys did such a good job here! I added 2 additional fresnel textures to what was already there. One for overall aircraft and one specifically for the air inlets interior. I also added specular and bumps to the nose cone to match the look of the rest of the airplane. It can now take full advantage of the p3d lighting.

Dave I would be happy to show how to create the bumps. I'm by no means an expert but it is quite easy once you learn how...the real trick is to know where NOT to have them...like on the seams of textures as they create a pointed surface where it should be flat.

This was a rush job to see how it would work. But it would be much better if I had just the panel lines without the markings/placards...but it worked well enough as a test.
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

Quote Originally Posted by DaveQ View Post
    Thanks again for your support Rick. Truth to tell, I could do with a tutorial from someone on how to create bump maps. As Henk said in the Swedish Thunderbolt thread, metallic Viggens had a paint coat that reduced their reflectivity to next to nothing, which is why we left it off. But these screenshots look really nice. Here's another we've worked on which, because it's still available as payware, has to remain private for now.DaveQ
    Ive done similar work with the F4D Skyray. Which also remains private.
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

For the same reason, this is on my HDD only.

MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

Sweet !

Hey RickO..
    ...as Jackie Gleason would say.."Oh how SWEET it is ..!" Your 'RAY' looks awesome.

Walt
    Fly High, Punch Holes in the Sky.

Members +
    Blog Entries
    Orson said it best...

Attachment 38200

Haha...thanks guys. I wish it were freeware now so that I could share. Maybe one day! I need a hand at figuring out how to do the multiple stores selected by weight...this one I simply removed the parts I didnt want. It was my first attempt to use MCX. Been sitting on this one for about a year.
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

Members who have read this thread: 0