DMFS BAC 1-11 FSX Upgrade - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: DMFS BAC 1-11 FSX Upgrade

Glad you're having fun with the model!

It might just tell you something about a harsh environment when even water injection won't help you.

JAFO did you do a repaint of the BAC-111? I had a go at doing the RAAF VIP fleet and using a combination of textures from a variety of the others came up with a passable effort - including the kangaroo roundels but two problems defy my at the moment:

1. How do you get the right side lettering to display correctly? Tail and fuselage. If I do it as per the other textures the lettering is reversed, if I reverse the lettering it turns into rubbish but only on the right side. left is great.

2. The flag colours on the tail have defied me completely - any ideas appreciated.

Other than that not to hard to work with.

This is one of my favourite jets, it is a delight to fly and this is still one of the outstanding freeware works ever and as good as some very expensive payware jobs.

Uploaded a revised package yesterday that restores the engine smoke (see first post for download link). Apparently spamming "SMOKE_ON" as in the original XML code wasn't a viable solution anymore in FSX(SE).

BAC 1-11 Video for those interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2-G5IWcm9E

Came across this old video the other day by accident (I was looking at something else unrelated). Anyhow it is an excellent cockpit view of the BAC 111 conducting a flight from Stansted in London to Dublin, it runs for about an hour and twenty minutes, from pre-flight to arrival from the crew perspective with good closeup shots of instrumentation and readings at various stages of the flight, in short a little tutorial on flying the BAC 111.

It just confirmed for me how good the Maltby BAC 111 is, I give it ten out of ten with the additional mods to make it work well in FSX just amazing. The other thing is even though the BAC 1-11 was very noisy outside how quiet the cockpit is.

Great find Bendy, the procedures and checks are a good thing to go by ..

After a very long time I re-installed 1-11 to my FSX. Old love never dies...

But, what the problem with the tires might be? See the shot below.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1-11.jpg  

Hi all
    This aircraft continues to operate well for me in P3D V3.4. The only thing I still can't confirm is engine smoke from this beast. I believe I have the latest updates - everything else functions properly. Wondering if there is something specific I can check. I use the latest version of DirectX which I believe to be 12.
    Thanks
    Warren (aspen31)

No support for P3Dv3 onward from me as it breaks backward compatibility more and more with each update.

Bjoern
    Thanks just the same. I thought the smoke worked earlier but I guess the update to 3.4 effected it. Everything else seems fine - in fact your 1-11 is the best jet airplane I have in 3.4.
    All the best.
    Warren

Just downloaded this as I really have missed this but where are all the textures?.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screenshot (153).jpg  

Just downloaded this as I really have missed this but where are all the textures?
    Tom,
    You'll still need to download and install the base package(s) from David Maltby's site (http://www.dmflightsim.co.uk/bac_1-11.htm) to get all the textures, etc. Install DM's packs first then install Bjoern's upgrades. Be sure to check the readme in the FSX upgrade as there are a few other steps to ensure everything is in its correct place.

Good luck.
    -Mark

Blog Entries
    Thanks for this Bjoern.. Its an awesome gift ( and I just now saw the thread to download it ).. Too bad you have no love for DM's Comet's. He did an incredible job on them ( still fly them in fsx ).. Would love to see them updated.. Oh well.. ..

Can a mod change the download link in the first post to this one?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6K...fKW_fMC0ddQdXw

Using the old link apparently triggers a "Request for access" e-mail from Google Drive now which really, REALLY annoys me.

Quote Originally Posted by BendyFlyer View Post
    JAFO did you do a repaint of the BAC-111? I had a go at doing the RAAF VIP fleet and using a combination of textures from a variety of the others came up with a passable effort - including the kangaroo roundels but two problems defy my at the moment:

1. How do you get the right side lettering to display correctly? Tail and fuselage. If I do it as per the other textures the lettering is reversed, if I reverse the lettering it turns into rubbish but only on the right side. left is great.

2. The flag colours on the tail have defied me completely - any ideas appreciated.

Other than that not to hard to work with.

This is one of my favourite jets, it is a delight to fly and this is still one of the outstanding freeware works ever and as good as some very expensive payware jobs.
    Speedy and efficient.....only 6 years later...

I checked.....did repaints in 2012.....back in the days before I got around to actually using layers...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thumbnail.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	216.6 KB 
ID:	84448

Quote Originally Posted by Jafo View Post
    Speedy and efficient.....only 6 years later...

I checked.....did repaints in 2012.....back in the days before I got around to actually using layers...

Name:	thumbnail.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	216.6 KB 
ID:	84448

Tommy
    Windows 7 Professional 64 bit, 16 Gigs Ram
    Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower
    ASUS P7P55D Deluxe
    Intel Core i7-860 Lynnfield Quad-Core 2.8 GHz LGA 1156
    ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB 128-Bit GDDR5
    SCEPTRE 27"
    WD Black 1 TB
    ASUS Xonar DS 7.1
    CORSAIR K95 RGB Platnum XT, PBT double-shot keycaps, Cherry MX Blue
    Logitech M510

Icon5

Sorry for bringing up this seven year old thread.

David Maltby's BAC 1-11 is first freeware add on plane for me that has FANCY cabin pressurization functions. I read many posts saying that the alarm and warning light will go off if a flight simmer does not set proper cabin pressurization functions before take off.

I do not know how to do that. Can you or anyone please be kind enough to show me graphic examples where I am supposed to set safety value to closed and how to set specific number or degree or percent for cabin pressurization or cabin altitude please so that the alarm will not go off. Thanks

Thanks,

Aharon

That's incorrect; The sim does not do that, the aircraft model does.

Simplified models with a pressurized fuselage set it automatically.

an aircraft modeled with a pressurization system that can be manipulated (set by the pilot) normally will not sound or indicate an alarm until passing around 10,000 - 12,500 ft pressure altitude if the system has not been preset previously (not necessarily before takeoff; i.e. maybe some time after takeoff but prior to passing 10,000 or so MSL)

The DM manual(in the documentation folder) for the BAC 1-11 CENTER section shows the gauges and explains how to set the system for desired cruise altitude and cabin rate of climb. Review it and the gauges / switches and try it out. See what you get once you reach cruise altitude, where the cabin altitude should be what you set it for if done correctly.

Depending on the airplane's system, a desired cabin altitude may be set too low for the desired cruise altitude so the desired cabin pressure cannot be held by the system output, and the desired cabin pressure has to be set higher; usually a scale on the cabin altitude setting dial shows the highest cabin altitude achievable. A cabin altitude higher than 10,000 ft is dangerous and illegal; 8000 ft is a good thumb rule for max cabin altitude.

Hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by Mike71 View Post
    That's incorrect; The sim does not do that, the aircraft model does.
    Mike71,

Great to hear from you!!!! I never said sim did it. I said in my words from orginal post
    "David Maltby's BAC 1-11 is first freeware add on plane for me that has FANCY cabin pressurization functions. I read many posts saying that the alarm and warning light will go off if a flight simmer does not set proper cabin pressurization functions before take off."

I think think think you might have confused the two words flight simmer with what you think is the other two words flight sim.

f the system has not been preset previously (not necessarily before takeoff; i.e. maybe some time after takeoff but prior to passing 10,000 or so MSL)
    Well unless I am mistaken, the HJG manual for BC 1-11 said it must be set before take off.

The DM manual(in the documentation folder) for the BAC 1-11 CENTER section shows the gauges and explains how to set the system for desired cruise altitude and cabin rate of climb. Review it and the gauges / switches and try it out. See what you get once you reach cruise altitude, where the cabin altitude should be what you set it for if done correctly.nn
    Yes you are right about the DM manual but unfortunately, the DM website is gone and I cannot find on the internet the DM manual for BAC 1-11. HJG has manual but unless my eyes need doctor check up. the HJG manual never tells me how to set safety value to closed and how to set specific number or degree or percent for cabin pressurization or cabin altitude please so that the alarm will not go off.

Depending on the airplane's system, a desired cabin altitude may be set too low for the desired cruise altitude so the desired cabin pressure cannot be held by the system output, and the desired cabin pressure has to be set higher; usually a scale on the cabin altitude setting dial shows the highest cabin altitude achievable. A cabin altitude higher than 10,000 ft is dangerous and illegal; 8000 ft is a good thumb rule for max cabin altitude.
    I am trying to understand this. No offense to you ha ha ha ha So I have to set the cabin pressurization gauge to 8,000 ft????

Always pleasure to hear from you and I am enjoying your famous DC-4/C-54 package.

Regards,

Aharon

Quote Originally Posted by Aharon View Post
    -- I am trying to understand this. No offense to you ha ha ha ha So I have to set the cabin pressurization gauge to 8,000 ft????

Always pleasure to hear from you and I am enjoying your famous DC-4/C-54 package.

Regards,

Aharon
    8,000 ft should be good. From a test, the plane will not exceed the 7.5 psi pressure differential limit with the cabin altitude set to 8000 ft at a max cruise limit of FL340.

The safety valve functions to slowly bleed off cabin differential pressure in case the controller fails - the rate of pressure decrease can be controlled by the rate knob. This is an abnormal situation. I believe the RAM air valve is for smoke evacuation etc and possibly to help deflate door seals after landing, but I am not sure.

This might help: use the VC view to see everything, the 2D panel shows only part of the pressurization controls or does not work.

Name:	BAC 2-22 VC Lower right.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	116.7 KB 
ID:	91806

From the manual:

(make sure the air conditioning / bleed isolation and APU valve systems on the overhead panel are correct; pressurization depends on it; see checklists below):

Cabin Alt to Baro Pressure

Used to regulate cabin altitude (cabin pressure).
    The 'A' knob on the left selects the required cabin altitude selectable from -2000 to +9000 ft.
    The 'R' knob on the right selects the rate at which cabin altitude is altered (between 150 & 1000 ft/min)
    The knob in the middle adjusts the reference poiner at the top. Set it to 'current pressure' in inches of Mercury.

Cabin Altitude

VC only. Shows the current cabin altitude from 0 to 40,000 ft.
    Also shows the current pressure differential on the hull in psi 0 to 10 (max 7.5).
    The required cabin pressure is set using the 'Cabin Alt to Baro Pressure' gauge above.

Cabin Altitude VSI

VC only. Shows the current rate of change in cabin altitude from 0 to 2,000 ft/min.
    The required cabin pressure & rate of change is set using the 'Cabin Alt to Baro Pressure' gauge above.

Air Isolation Valves Open
    Air Con Masters Closed
    Ram Air Valve Closed
    Pressure Safety Valve Open

EXTRACT from checklists:

Starting Check
    Battery On
    APU Generator Control Trip (APU Gen Off)
    APU Start
    To start APU:-
    Switch 'APU CONTROL' to 'ON'
    Check 'FUEL VALVE' reads 'OPEN'
    Click 'PUSH TO START'
    'START' gulls eye initially reads 'START'
    After 35%RPM 'START' goes blank, then displays 'RUN' when at full RPM.
    APU Generator Control Reset (APU Gen On)
    Voltage, Cycles, Amps Check
    Start Lever (HP cocks) Shut
    L.P. Valves Open
    Transfer Valves/Pumps On
    Booster pumps On
    APU Air delivery Open
    APU Air crossfeed Open
    Air Con Masters APU
    No smoking signs On
    Seatbelt signs On
    Emergency Lights Armed
    Pitot heat Check & Off
    Anti-icing Off
    Hydraulic Quantity In green
    Hydraulic DC pump Off
    Hydraulic Pumps Eng & Aux all On
    Aileron & Rudder trim Check & centred
    Nav Lights On
    Fuel Aboard Check gauges v Flight plan
    Parking brakes On
    Air Isolation Valves Open
    Air Con Masters Closed
    Ram Air Valve Closed
    Pressure Safety Valve Open
    Eng Generator Control Trip both (Engine Gens Off)
    Start clearance Obtained from ATC
    Beacon On
    Engine Top Temp On
    Throttles Closed
    Start engines Starting 1 2
    To start Engines:-
    Select 'Start Master' to START.
    Click 'Start/Relight' switch to 'START & MOTOR'
    Check for both amber ignitor lights & Green shaft rotation light
    Start lever will move to OPEN automatically on the model
    Start Master Off
    Starter switches Off
    Eng Generator Control Reset (Engine Gens On)
    Bus & Gen Fail lights Check Out
    Air Con Masters APU
    Anti ice As required
    Control surfaces Checked
    Clearence for taxi Obtained from ATC
    Taxi Check
    Hydraulic pumps Aux 1 On, Aux 2 Off
    Door warning lights All Out
    Parking brakes Off
    Flaps / Slats Select for takeoff (18 degrees or 8 if runway length permits)
    Pressure Safety Valve Closed
    Battery Check on
    Speed brakes Checked & zero
    Trims Set for takeoff (3 degrees nose up)
    Takeoff speeds Checked & set (Click the Speed Reference Chinagraph for speeds)
    Flight instruments Checked & set
    Reverse Checked lights out
    Flaps Set for takeoff
    Thrust Index Check Index number (Click top of either Thrust Index gauge to auto set)
    Before Takeoff Check
    Landing lamps As required
    Pitot heater On
    Windshield Heat High
    Anti-icing As required
    Autopilot Off
    Transponder Check code
    Cabin Pressurization Check (2000 min selected)
    Fuel transfer pumps/valves Off & Closed
    (draw fuel from wing tanks only)
    Start Switches Both Relight
    Water Injection On if required
    Engine Top Temp On
    Takeoff clearence Obtained from ATC
    After Takeoff Check
    Gear Up, lights out
    Flaps Up at 180 kt
    Water Injection Off
    APU Unless flight time is 1 hour or less
    'APU CONTROL' switch to 'OFF'
    Start Switches Off
    Landing lamps Up & off
    Air Con Masters Open
    APU Air delivery Closed
    APU Air crossfeed Closed
    Altimeters Set
    Windshield Heat As required
    Hydraulic pumps Aux 1 & 2 Off
    Fuel transfer pumps/valves On & Open when climb established
    Top of Descent Check
    Altimeters Check 29.29 in (1013 mbs)
    Safety heights Check for descent
    Cabin Pressurization Check & set
    Last edited by Mike71; September 23rd, 2023 at 07:34.

8,000 ft should be good. From a test, the plane will not exceed the 7.5 psi pressure differential limit with the cabin altitude set to 8000 ft at a max cruise limit of FL340.

Name:	BAC 2-22 VC Lower right.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	116.7 KB 
ID:	91806

Used to regulate cabin altitude (cabin pressure).
    The 'A' knob on the left selects the required cabin altitude selectable from -2000 to +9000 ft.
    The 'R' knob on the right selects the rate at which cabin altitude is altered (between 150 & 1000 ft/min)
    The knob in the middle adjusts the reference poiner at the top. Set it to 'current pressure' in inches of Mercury.
    Thanks!! That should help me a lot!!!

Hate to bother you again but what ft per minute am I supposed to set for this rate, please?

Regards,

Aharon

Quote Originally Posted by Aharon View Post
    Thanks!! That should help me a lot!!!

Hate to bother you again but what ft per minute am I supposed to set for this rate, please?

Regards,

Aharon
    Try 500 fpm cabin climb rate; make sure the safety valve switch is in CLOSE (UP) or the climb rate selector will not work. anything more than 1000 fpm cabin climb rate can be uncomfortable for some passengers.
    During climb look at the cabin altitude "A" needle stop at 8000 ft, and the pressure differential needle gradually increase as you pass 10,000 MSL, indicating pressurization is working. If not, the failure light will trigger above 10,000 MSL

Thanks for great great great great help, Mike 71!!

Much appreciated!

First time in 15 years of flight simming that I must use fancy functions of cabin pressurization for add on plane!!

Regards,

Aharon

Members who have read this thread: 8