Forum banner

Thread: Forum banner

Forum banner

How come I still get the Merry Christmas banner on the forum. It only happens on my work laptop and not my home desktop.

SOH Staff .."Bartender" AussieMan's Avatar
    Bottom left corner you will see a drop down menu. Click on that then SOH (default) fluid. That should fix it for you.

Cheers
    Pat

"Some people might say that freedom is being alone in the bush with the only sounds being the murmurs from the birds ... but I believe freedom is at 5000 feet with no other sound than the engine roaring."- William Hutchison, a young man taken from us far too young (16).

Blog Entries
    here is a pic

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	xmas.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	26.2 KB 
ID:	37870
    Look What I Have Become!

That is what is already selected. There is no other option there. Reselecting it did not help.

This is how my forum looks:

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Capture.jpg  

Deleting any SOH cookies and logging back in should fix that.

Logged out, deleted all cookies and logged in again. Santa is still there...

SOH-CM-2021
    There's an old rhyme that starts "Santa comes but once a year" For me also, he comes every day in SOH.

Somebody had this issue before, but logging out, clearing cache and cookies and logging back in again did the trick.

Please mind the order as this is important as well.

I'm pretty sure it must be something at your side as the issue is not common.

Cheers,
    Huub

The cookies do not clear on all machines when signing out. I had to use CCleaner to remove the old cookies then all was well.

Logged out, cleaned cache and cookies with ccleaner and logged back in. The persistent Santa is still there. I guess I have to live with that.

Is your date ( right corner down) on the laptop up to date?

It is automatically updated by our server every time we connect to the office LAN so yes it is up to date.

You're running Chrome - hit

You're running Chrome. Hit Ctrl+Shift+Delete, check all the boxes, and select "the beginning of time" in the dropdown, then hit the "Clear browsing data" button. If you have a lot stored up, it may take some time.
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Thank you Tom, it should work like that but it did not. It is the same in IE as well. I'm stumped...

Oddly.. I still see it on the pc I'm on now (Win7 Ult) though it's gone from my tablet and laptop. I've tried logging out and the forum reports all cookies cleared.. close down IE.. reopen it again and there's Santa though I'm not logged in. I'd delete my browser history but am sure there are a few sites I'd not be able to get back into without a rash of 'forgotten password' emails.

ATB
    DaveB

Quote Originally Posted by DaveB View Post
    I'd delete my browser history but am sure there are a few sites I'd not be able to get back into without a rash of 'forgotten password' emails.
    Isn't that the truth!

You must be an evil, avaricious, old man who runs a counting house! You are the subject of Christmas past; ok, a bit late, but there's a lot to do for the ghosts.

Seriously, I don't even see that the Christmas banner is available on the site. The only choices I have are the regular one and a mobile one. There isn't a choice for Xmas.

If you are truly interested in pursuing this mystery, load Firefox and see if it still sees the yuletide banner. If not, then something is corrupted in your browser.

There are worse things to be stuck with, I guess...

Good luck.

Judging from the responses here there are at least two more people with the same issue.

I also out of curiosity asked a colleague who has never been to this site to dial sim-outhouse.com and lo and behold, Santa was there. I'm sure that even firefox would be the same. Could it be something to do with our ISP and cache stored on their side?

Indeed, there are much worse things to be stuck with, it's just odd.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimus View Post
    Could it be something to do with our ISP and cache stored on their side?
    It would have to be if someone that's never been to the site is getting the same thing.
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Tom's right. It seems that you are trying to access SOH from your workplace, and at least one other person in that place has the same problem. Suggests you are going through the same server. It is possible that even your software is not located on your machine proper, but set up so that you are merely a client to the server, and all the software with its associated files lives there.

Have you tried from home, or some other computer not connected to your workplace network?

As I said in my original post, there is no problem from my home computer, only on the laptop when I connect it to the office network. We do not use remotely installed software, all software, including browsers are in our computers and we are all set as administrators. So the only common thing is a LAN and a common ISP. I tend to more and more to believe it is an ISP issue as other people here, not connected to LANs or workplace (I think) reported the same problem.

Anyway, as also said, it is just a small annoyance so I'll just forget about it.

Dimus,

It must be a special feeling to have Christmas al year round

Cheers,
    Huub

Indeed it is Huub!

Quote Originally Posted by Dimus View Post
    As I said in my original post, there is no problem from my home computer, only on the laptop when I connect it to the office network. We do not use remotely installed software, all software, including browsers are in our computers and we are all set as administrators. So the only common thing is a LAN and a common ISP. I tend to more and more to believe it is an ISP issue as other people here, not connected to LANs or workplace (I think) reported the same problem.

Anyway, as also said, it is just a small annoyance so I'll just forget about it.
    That's what I get for coming into the middle of a conversation: Missed your op entirely.

Well, best wishes for the holiday season, which for you appears to be year 'round.

Blog Entries
    coming soon Christmas in July
    Look What I Have Become!

Members who have read this thread: 0