FS9 Grumman Mallard Released and Available
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FS9 Grumman Mallard Released and Available

The FS9 Mallard Radial version is now available; the FSX Port Over will be uploaded next.

See screenshots here:
    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...d.php?t=100372

and download here:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?linkid=21371&catid=201
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

Post from "Mesh" thread copied to a new thread for "sticking" purposes!
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Great release
    In FS2004
    All work fine ..... until I "land" on water ...
    Never able to take off again ... full power and sitting duck
    Not first time I have this problem ... solution possible but no remember it

Taking off from water. What works for me is, 1 notch of flap, full power, control column forward until she sits "on the step" then gentle back pressure and up she comes.

Couple of queries from me: can't get the steps to show on the "modern" version, and how do the cupboards open in the "classic"?

Davis

Lightbulb

Taking off from water. What works for me is, 1 notch of flap, full power,
    By "sitting duck" .. I mean ... the aircraft no move 1 millimeter with full power applied !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Navtech View Post
    Great release
    In FS2004
    All work fine ..... until I "land" on water ...
    Never able to take off again ... full power and sitting duck
    Not first time I have this problem ... solution possible but no remember it
    This is the FS9 "sticky water" issue at play. The answer is to have a little wind speed set if you are not running real weather, or just run RW.

I will also remind everyone that 2 1/2 to 3 degrees of nose up trim is best for the takeoff run.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

I see that this is labeled as version 1.0, and I wonder how it differs from the version 1.0 released last summer???

I presume it must be better in some way or it wouldn't have been made and released, though it's hard to imagine how the excellent earlier version left much room for improvement.

Will the skins for last summer's version work on this one?

Quote Originally Posted by Mick View Post
    I see that this is labeled as version 1.0, and I wonder how it differs from the version 1.0 released last summer???

I presume it must be better in some way or it wouldn't have been made and released, though it's hard to imagine how the excellent earlier version left much room for improvement.

Will the skins for last summer's version work on this one?
    Mick,

The last summer release was an alpha release, a work-in-process.

The current release is FS9 as the model evolved and includes a modern business cabin as well as a Classic interior. This is the finished product.

The VC is standard FS9 stuff, 2D gauges, etc. This version has different flight models for FS9 and the FSX port over, improved exterior and interior texture mapping. The last summer textures are obsolete though could be brought up to date with the new paint kit released.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

This release makes me wonder why most people insist on native releases for FSX. I only need to load this port over once, with the native I must load it twice to clear the bilge. The frame rate on the native on my feeble rig is 13 to 14 while the port over is 19 to 20 both sitting at the same spot. The startup sound for the native is better but that can be swapped. So for me the winner is the port over. Thanks to all who had a hand in her build.

I only fly FSX and of the 1,00+ aircraft in the hangar I reckon 80% or more are port overs. Never understood why some are so particular about native models. Supposedly better on frames but I don't really notice that. The biggest advantage with natives is you can use a VC from another native model which can be handy.
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Quote Originally Posted by djs1 View Post
    Taking off from water. What works for me is, 1 notch of flap, full power, control column forward until she sits "on the step" then gentle back pressure and up she comes.

Couple of queries from me: can't get the steps to show on the "modern" version, and how do the cupboards open in the "classic"?

Davis
    1) Flaps are not required or recommended for takeoff; 2.5 to 3 degrees of nose up trim is. Elevator trim gauge on lower panel.

2) See the Operations Controls Document:

Some of the Controls to know about are:

1) The slash key (spoiler key in FS9) hides/unhides the pilot yoke
    2) The forward hatch is opened using shift+e, then 2
    3) In the Classic version, the cabin table is animated with the flaps (retracted-table is up; deployed-table is stowed)
    4) Shutting down the battery power on the ground hides the pilots.
    5) The Emergency brake (cntrl period) activates the anti-squat strut (Classic version) and the tail support and stairs (modern version)
    6) The passenger door key sequence opens the door (and moves the stairs in position for the modern version).
    All other FS commands function normally.

I see I left out mention of the cabinet doors (my apologies).
    Cabinet doors are opened using shift+e, then 2
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Quote Originally Posted by Milton Shupe View Post
    ... The last summer release was an alpha release, a work-in-process ...
    That was an alpha? Not even a beta! Oh my goodness! I am amazed! I look forward to checking out the final version in detail!

Hi Milton

Many thanks for the response.
    Firstly, I have found that on the classic version, lowering and raising the gear, not the flaps, retracts and stows the table.
    Secondly on points 5 and 6 is there a duplication for opening the main door and positioning the stairs? Shift-e certainly opens the door but no stairs (point 6), but on point 5 control-period does no more than apply the brakes.

If I'm missing something obvious I apologise, but have struggled with this since yesterday evening with no progress.

Regards
    David

Lightbulb

This is the FS9 "sticky water" issue at play. The answer is to have a little wind speed set if you are not running real weather, or just run RW.
    Thank you
    Tested and worked
    Another solution not involving weather option (I use it for now) is to reduce the fuel quantity on board

Quote Originally Posted by djs1 View Post
    Hi Milton

Many thanks for the response.
    Firstly, I have found that on the classic version, lowering and raising the gear, not the flaps, retracts and stows the table.
    Secondly on points 5 and 6 is there a duplication for opening the main door and positioning the stairs? Shift-e certainly opens the door but no stairs (point 6), but on point 5 control-period does no more than apply the brakes.

If I'm missing something obvious I apologise, but have struggled with this since yesterday evening with no progress.

Regards
    David
    David,

The emergency brake should always be set before the stairs are deployed or the door opens.
    Set the brake, open the door. That's how it should work.

Yes, the table doc is incorrect; should be with the gear. Thanks
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Thank you
    Tested and worked
    Another solution not involving weather option (I use it for now) is to reduce the fuel quantity on board
    The sticky water issue is with FS9 (and is well documented) also evident in how fast the aircraft slows in the water after landing.
    The issue is not with any of the floats or amphibs in the sim.
    FSX corrects this issue.

Running RWx normally always has winds but if you never run RW, then set winds to 5-15 knots and run with full fuel. Or, do as you are doing.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Hallo Milton,

I was astonished to read about the problems some have with waterstarts with this fine bird.
    I ditched her on different waters in my normal flying areas (Brittany, Lorient and Belle-Ile).
    And take off was with out any problems. The sole thing is that at first I must give full power till she begans
    to move. I believe that this is quiet normal as the resistance of water is higher than with wheels on a normal hard
    ground. Changing direction , for example to pick up a mooring buoy must be done with differential engine power left or right.
    I just changed the lateral view value for the eyepoint to -1.07 from -1.20 as I like to have the center of the steering wheel
    in the center of my monitor.
    Milton, you and your friends did again a wonderfull work and permits us to fly a fine bird on our sim.
    And last not least thank you not to forget all those who still fly with the good old FS2004.
    Sadly most designers have forgotten us and so their certainly good work is no longer avaible for us.

Yours
    Papi

Charter Member 2012 nigel richards's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Magically Immersive.

Just makes you wan't to get comfy in the cockpit and FLY.

AWESOME model (as to be expected), really nice textures - some really great choices of exteriors.

LOVED the exterior glass textures and transparency setup - that got my 'nosiness' going full swing.
    Speculars very nice on exterior, too...might just try an Alpha channel boost to take advantage of what's there.

Someone's already picked-up on the cool water effects - that's a big thumbs up, too

Looking forward to picking up more of Wellis' awesome exteriors to build up a fleet - VERY nicely balanced textures.

The 'nude' version of this model has been my relaxation 'safety-valve' for a fair few months, so I'm overjoyed that Milton's beautiful work can now be fully enjoyed in all its splendour by all.

Loving it!

EDIT: Dang well charms the pants off you in FSX!
    Most men often say what they think!
    An honest man usually means what he says!
    A gentleman always says what he means!

"Αίεν Υψικρατείν "

A fool is not he who asks a simple question, but he who would simply have its asking denied. (Richards 2012)

Stairs, etc

Hello Milton

Finally sorted out the issue with the stairs. After a little trial and error, it would seem that once the battery switches are in the "off" position the stairs and other bits and pieces, in both models, work as they should, once the parking brake is set of course.

Thanks for your responses to my query, I am now out of your hair !!!

David

Lightbulb

Just for info @ Milton

FS2004 (ACOF) - FS2004 Scenery FS2004 Scenery--Muxtamel Airfield
    [ Download | View ]
    Name: fs9mallardradial.zip
    Size: 106,621,328 Date: 05-10-2016 Downloads: 46

FS2004 Scenery--Muxtamel Airfield (LEMU). Situated about 6km north of Alicante, Muxtamel airfield is not listed in the Spanish AIP, being a small one, but still plays an important role in aviation as a training center for full PPL/CPL on fixed wing and rotary aircraft. The airfield does not have navaids, being only for VFR, but you can use the VOR's and NDB at LEAL as a navigational aid. This scenery was created by Barry Martin Edwards using ADE9x.

Just for info @ Milton

FS2004 (ACOF) - FS2004 Scenery FS2004 Scenery--Muxtamel Airfield
    [ Download | View ]
    Name: fs9mallardradial.zip
    Size: 106,621,328 Date: 05-10-2016 Downloads: 46

FS2004 Scenery--Muxtamel Airfield (LEMU). Situated about 6km north of Alicante, Muxtamel airfield is not listed in the Spanish AIP, being a small one, but still plays an important role in aviation as a training center for full PPL/CPL on fixed wing and rotary aircraft. The airfield does not have navaids, being only for VFR, but you can use the VOR's and NDB at LEAL as a navigational aid. This scenery was created by Barry Martin Edwards using ADE9x.

Thanks; notified Flightsim
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Thank you Milton & team for one more beautiful aircraft ! It's very nice to fly the Mallard and I managed to take-off on water, with 100% throttle just to start moving.

I've modified the 2D panel for my old 4:3 screen (attached screenshot) and added vc & cabin lights so that it is a bit less dark inside during night flights.

Thanks again for all the good work and best regards,
    Raphael
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mallard-lr.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by raphael View Post
    Thank you Milton & team for one more beautiful aircraft ! It's very nice to fly the Mallard and I managed to take-off on water, with 100% throttle just to start moving.

I've modified the 2D panel for my old 4:3 screen (attached screenshot) and added vc & cabin lights so that it is a bit less dark inside during night flights.

Thanks again for all the good work and best regards,
    Raphael
    Hi Raphael, happy to see you getting some pleasure from the Mallard.
    Yes, sorry about the 2D panel as I have a wider screen, but happy you could adjust it. Others may benefit from your work if you are receptive to sharing it.

Setting up some Wind or running real world weather is important for water take offs; makes it very easy.

Frankly I get much more enjoyment flying in RWx especially with some good winds; feels more realistic.

Have fun :-)
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

She's a beauty! I did my first flight with her yesterday and it is a brilliant model which flies perfect too! And such loving attention to detail - eg the cockpit windows from outside.
    Thank you Milton and all the team for this superb addition to our sim!

Quote Originally Posted by Sascha66 View Post
    She's a beauty! I did my first flight with her yesterday and it is a brilliant model which flies perfect too! And such loving attention to detail - eg the cockpit windows from outside.
    Thank you Milton and all the team for this superb addition to our sim!
    Sascha66, thank you on behalf of Manecas (Rui), Firekitten (Rachael), Nigel, and Stokes2112 (Roman). They do awesome work and I am fortunate to have them make the Mallard what it became.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Members who have read this thread: 0