Anybody interested in Knox class?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anybody interested in Knox class?

Anybody interested in Knox class?

I will finish soon the original USN Knox design. By now, the Spanish multirole version (Baleares class) is ready.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Baleares2.jpg   Baleares4.jpg   Baleares.jpg  

That looks great. Will fit in nicely with the various carriers already available.

Available at SOH (warbirds Library)

MOST EXCELLENT

I've been after one of these for some time and even ported a CFS2 model into FSX. Sadly.. while top banana for CFS2, I had to confine it to the dockyard!!

ATB
    DaveB

Thank you. A very nice addition to the fleet.

I hope you will include a hard helo deck on the USN Knox class version.

SUPREME piece of work ! I've only seen one off these up close , USS Whipple , visited Lyttleton CHCH NZ in the mid 1980s .. jagl04

This looks superb. I am really looking forward to your Knox release!

Bill

Unfortunately.. the USN couldn't wait so borrowed a Spanish-build until theirs were ready. A quick trip to the paint shop later...

They'll give it back later
    ATB
    DaveB:-)

Great Screens Dave the bridge and mixing the Sea Knight in there .... now where are we again

Quote Originally Posted by TARPSBird View Post
    I hope you will include a hard helo deck on the USN Knox class version.
    Of course. But I have to decide which version of Knox I will finish: the ship suffered many changes during her service, and it is dfficult to document all of them

How's about aiming at the 80's. USS Valdez would do very nicely (she was part of STANAVFORLANT when the ship I was on was COMSTANAVFORLANT)

ATB
    DaveB

USS Knox

I was in San Diego with my parents in the late 50's. The USS Knox was in port and it was open house. It was the first Naval ship I ever boarded. Don't remember much but, boarding and talking with some sailors. That name was blazed in my mind. Think I was 12. The pictures brought back some memory's. On the entrance there was a sign "Welcome to USS Knox open house". Thanks for the pic's.

You sure it was USS Knox fella?? The 'Knox Class' of which this is derived wasn't laid down until '65 (lead ship USS Knox) and was commissioned in '69.

ATB
    DaveB

Quote Originally Posted by rvn1968 View Post
    I was in San Diego with my parents in the late 50's. The USS Knox was in port and it was open house. It was the first Naval ship I ever boarded. Don't remember much but, boarding and talking with some sailors. That name was blazed in my mind. Think I was 12. The pictures brought back some memory's. On the entrance there was a sign "Welcome to USS Knox open house". Thanks for the pic's.
    Well it was along time ago. Hope I didn't upset anybody. I know it wasn't the 60's. Anyway sorry for the error.

Well, Did a little research. I remember it was named after a US secretary of the Navy Frank Knox. So it was USS Frank Knox DD-742. Not the same ship. Oh well, thought I was loosing my marbles.

Quote Originally Posted by rvn1968 View Post
    Oh well, thought I was loosing my marbles.

Don't worry .. When the USS Whipple was parked up in Lyttleton harbour , I was pleased .. almost standing beside me was a father and son ... Son asked what are those white containers (liferafts) on the side there the kid said .. father said they are "Nuclear Depth Charges" ... I just about fell in the ocean laughing my head off and I can't swim ..... I'm sure the father had lost his marbles .

Apologize for the momentary thread hijack - wanted to post some kodaks I shot in the 1980s of USS Reasoner (FF-1063), alongside USS Enterprise (CVN-65), somewhere in the Pacific. Always thought these were cool looking ships. Thanks for the great addition the FSX Navy!
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

Quote Originally Posted by PRB View Post
    Apologize for the momentary thread hijack - wanted to post some kodaks I shot in the 1980s of USS Reasoner (FF-1063), alongside USS Enterprise (CVN-65), somewhere in the Pacific. Always thought these were cool looking ships. Thanks for the great addition the FSX Navy!
    Supreme Photo's and its weird how close the class USS Whipple is FF-1062, great posting

Members +
    Blog Entries

A QH-50C DASH for your Knox?

Very nice work, just the thing. Better have something to fly off.

The genesis of the modern LAMPS was the QH-50 Drone, Anti-Submarine Helicopter.Attachment 38015
    Command guided via a datalink and radar transponder, the DASH would be used to rapidly engage a submarine located by shipboard sensors, at long range with a pair of homing torpedo's. The USN didnt have much luck with it, leading to the SH-2 and SH-60. The JMSDF loved DASH, and was a successful and enthusiastic operator of the type until running out of spares in 1977. It could be very effective in the hands of skilled operators and maintainers. A typical ASW exercise dirty trick was to get a RF fix off the sub's radio acknowledgement of start-Ex, launch the DASH on the radio bearing and catch the target sub before it could even dive. The Knox class was originally designed with aviation spaces sized around a pair of QH-50's.
    I had to try out the process on helio's. It's an old FS9 DASH, quite nice, don't know who did it of where it came from. No cockpit- obviously
    and I have not chased down three error messages for gauges. Otherwise, it's FSX native now, fly's nicely, looks pretty cool.
    Attachment 38019

Quote Originally Posted by PRB View Post
    Posts like yours make threads interesting. Great pictures. Thanks for sharing

Quote Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
    Very nice work, just the thing. Better have something to fly off.

The genesis of the modern LAMPS was the QH-50 Drone, Anti-Submarine Helicopter.
    Command guided via a datalink and radar transponder, the DASH would be used to rapidly engage a submarine located by shipboard sensors, at long range with a pair of homing torpedo's. The USN didnt have much luck with it, leading to the SH-2 and SH-60. The JMSDF loved DASH, and was a successful and enthusiastic operator of the type until running out of spares in 1977. It could be very effective in the hands of skilled operators and maintainers. A typical ASW exercise dirty trick was to get a RF fix off the sub's radio acknowledgement of start-Ex, launch the DASH on the radio bearing and catch the target sub before it could even dive. The Knox class was originally designed with aviation spaces sized around a pair of QH-50's.
    I had to try out the process on helio's. It's an old FS9 DASH, quite nice, don't know who did it of where it came from. No cockpit- obviously
    and I have not chased down three error messages for gauges. Otherwise, it's FSX native now, fly's nicely, looks pretty cool.
    Attachment 38019
    This thread gets more and more interesting. So I will have to work hard to finish the Knox frigate with the helicopter deck.

Work in progress

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails USS-Valdez.jpg  

That looks great. I especially like the hull detail with the plating.

Fantastic work Javier, as usual.

We can see this ship in Global AI Ship Traffic?

Members who have read this thread: 2