Corsairs, more Corsairs and even more Corsairs
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Corsairs, more Corsairs and even more Corsairs

Corsairs, more Corsairs and even more Corsairs

I've been thinking more about going back to the Pacific Theater lately and thought some updated Corsair skins would be a good thing. I just uploaded these:

The F4U-1 Corsairs are Allen's Birdcage CFS2 modification model and the F4U-1A and 1D are the B24Guy's overhauled CFS2 model with Dbolt's prop and using Dbolt's Corsair weapons package.

Cheers,

Captain Kurt
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "Fly, you fools!" Gandalf the Gray

more Corsairs

more Corsairs
    Cheers,

Captain Kurt

even more Corsairs

even more Corsairs
    Cheers,

Captain Kurt

They all look good! Also strange to see the red outline starts...
    "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!" Some SOH Founder.

F4u1_corsair vmf-121

A new entry has been added to Add-Ons Library, category CFS 2 Aircraft - American

Description: Vought F4U-1 Corsair of VMF 121, based on Banika Island, June/July 1943

This is Allen's F4U-1 Birdcage Corsair model. See his original Read Me document for details.

I don't think the early Corsairs could carry drop tanks or bombs. They were used in a pure fighter role. The dp file has been modified to have just a guns only loadout option.

Credit belongs to Allen for his work to modify the stock Corsair back to the early canopy version. I just gave it a new coat of paint.

Captain Kurt

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit F4U1_CORSAIR VMF-121
    The comments you make there will appear in the posts below.

F4u1 corsair vmf-221

A new entry has been added to Add-Ons Library, category CFS 2 Aircraft - American

Description: Vought F4U-1 Corsair of VMF 221, flown by 5 victory ace Lt. Donald Balch, based on Guadalcanal, July, 1943

This is Allen's F4U-1 Birdcage Corsair model. See his original Read Me document for details.

I don't think the early Corsairs could carry drop tanks or bombs. They were used in a pure fighter role. The dp file has been modified to have just a guns only loadout option.

Credit belongs to Allen for his work to modify the stock Corsair back to the early canopy version. I just gave it a new coat of paint.

Captain Kurt

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit F4U1 CORSAIR VMF-221

F4u1_corsair vmf-222

Description: A well worn Vought F4U-1 Corsair of VMF 222 "Flying Dueces", based in the Russell Islands chain (on Green Island?), 1943. This aircraft has also alternatively been identified as belonging to VMF 121.

Captain Kurt

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit F4U1_CORSAIR VMF-222

Fg-1a_corsair vmf-121

Description: Goodyear FG-1A Corsair flown by 6 victory ace, Capt. Francis E. Pierce VMF 121, based on Peleliu Island, November 1944

This is the B24guy's overhauled F4U-1A model with Dbolt's prop texture and Corsair weapons package. The credit goes to them for their work on the models. I'm just giving it a new coat of paint.

Captain Kurt

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit FG-1A_CORSAIR VMF-121

F4u1a corsair vmf-216

Description: A well used F4U-1A Corsair of VMF-216 which was acquired from VMF-214, based at Piva Yoke, February / March 1944

This is the B24guy's overhauled F4U-1A model with Dbolt's prop texture and Corsair weapons package. The credit goes to them for their work on the models. I'm just giving it a new coat of paint.

Captain Kurt

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit F4U1A CORSAIR VMF-216

F4u1a corsair vmf-224

Description: Vought F4U-1A Corsair of VMF-224 based at Roi-Namur, June, 1944

This is the B24Guy's overhauled F4U-1A model with Dbolt's prop texture and Corsair weapons package. The credit goes to them for their work on the models. I'm just giving it a new coat of paint.

Captain Kurt

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit F4U1A CORSAIR VMF-224

F4u1d corsair vf-84

Description: Vought F4U-1D Corsair flown by Lt.(JG) Doris "Chico" Freeman VF-84, CV-17 USS Bunker Hill, March 6, 1945. Freman scored 2 victories flying with VF-17. Along with a number of VF-17 veterans, he joined VF-84 for a second tour aboard the carrier Bunker Hill. He scored another 3 victories with VF-84, but was killed along with some 600 crewmen of the Bunker Hill when she was hit by 2 kamikaze aircraft on May 11, 1945.

Captain Kurt

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit F4U1D CORSAIR VF-84

F4u1d corsair vmf-121

Description: Vought F4U-1D Corsair flown by 1Lt. Walter F. Brown, VMF 121, based on Peleliu Island, March 1945

Captain Kurt

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit F4U1D CORSAIR VMF-121

F4u1d corsair vmf-323

Description: Vought F4U-1D Corsair flown by 5 victory ace 1Lt. Charles W. Drake, VMF 323, based on Okinawa, April 1945

This is the B24guy's overhauled F4U-1A model with Dbolt's prop texture and Corsair F4U-1D weapons package. The credit goes to them for their work on the models. I'm just giving it a new coat of paint.

Captain Kurt

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit F4U1D CORSAIR VMF-323

S~ to Capt. Kurt!

TW
    Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap!

Icon14 Reply...

What an outstanding job on all of these. Thank you, Captain!
    "Rami"

"Me? I'm just a Sea of Tranquility in an Ocean of Storms, babe."

My campaign site: http://www.box.net/shared/0k1e1rz29h
    My missions site: http://www.box.net/shared/ueh4kazk3v
    My scenery site: http://www.box.net/shared/knb1l0ztobhs2esb14rb

CK Thanks so much for these. What a glorious collection. Nice variety of schemes too.

Luv the weathering & beat up feel to Marine Corps birds, they've been worked long & hard. Kudos

Thanks guys. Your feedback is appreciated.
    Cheers,

Captain Kurt

F4U1A CORSAIR VF-17.zip

Description: Cdr. Tom Blackburn's F4U-1A Corsair "Big Hog" VF-17

Captain Kurt

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit F4U1A CORSAIR VF-17.zip

Icon22

Hi Capt'n,

Great rendition of "Big Hog". My personal preference is for the wear and tear look.
    IMHO, you captured that on the Big Hog, and the other skins also.

I luv the patch work!

BTW, put in the aircraft texture folder these additional bmps by Jaxon for a yellow Mae West vest.
    Just a heads up for those that prefer it.

Thank You Captain Kurt!

Korea?!?!

You've done an outstanding job on these.

They look great! I agree with DV, the worn look is a fav of mine as well. Not on every plane, mind you.

I'm wondering if it might be possible to get a couple for the Korean War? Before you put the kit into storage. If you're burnt out on them I'll understand fully. Just thought I'd throw it out there.
    "Courage is the discovery that you may not win, and trying when you know you can lose."-Tom Krause

My works Here: http://www.thefreeflightsite.com/JFortin.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Blood_Hawk23 View Post
    I'm wondering if it might be possible to get a couple for the Korean War?
    A good idea, but you'll need to use later Corsair marks for Korea. Sources say that the versions of the Corsair used in Korea from 1950 to 1953 were the AU-1, F4U-4B, -4C, -4P and -5N and 5-NL. Even if you exclude the obviously dissimilar -4P and -5N and 5-NL marks, there are still notable physical and performance differences between the featured -1A here and the AU-1, F4U-4B, -4C marks.

Of course, we could always shuck all this the historical detail and just pretend with what we have, right?

"If you're in a fair fight, you didn't plan it right"

Capt,
    Nice job on the Corsairs. They look great. Also, the Hellcats aren't too bad either.
    Bob
    "These Blockbuster Bombs don't go off unless you hit them JUST right". "Agent Provacateur".

Quote Originally Posted by bearcat241 View Post
    A good idea, but you'll need to use later Corsair marks for Korea. Sources say that the versions of the Corsair used in Korea from 1950 to 1953 were the AU-1, F4U-4B, -4C, -4P and -5N and 5-NL. Even if you exclude the obviously dissimilar -4P and -5N and 5-NL marks, there are still notable physical and performance differences between the featured -1A here and the AU-1, F4U-4B, -4C marks.

Of course, we could always shuck all this the historical detail and just pretend with what we have, right?
    There's always theFS9 Donationware F4U-4, if permission was given to convert it to CFS2- It would need LODs added of course. That's above my pay grade though.
    Cheers,

Captain Kurt

Fidenza, Northern Italy, 65 miles south of Milano
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Kurt View Post
    There's always theFS9 Donationware F4U-4, if permission was given to convert it to CFS2- It would need LODs added of course. That's above my pay grade though.
    Hi Captain Kurt,

just off the top of my head, wasn't an F4U-4 model included in FDG2's ex-donationware "Corsairs Anthology for CFS2"?

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...catid=68&id=71

You are right early "birdcage" Corsairs had no provisions for droptanks and/or payloads, Ltnt. Cdr. Blackburn explains it well in his "The Jolly Rogers" book. I hope you have it, if not it's a must.
    I had no idea how much VF-17 influenced the development and improvements of the early Corsairs, until I read "The Jolly Rogers"! They had the first idea to hang a ventral bomb under the Corsair and they flew the very first Corsair bombing raid ever, which became standard practice during the last phases of WWII in the Pacific.

By the way, those new Corsair repaints are indeed:

A great work-of-art!
    Thank you!

KH
    My wee mods here at the Outhouse:

FileUploadName=kelticheart

Members who have read this thread: 0