Texture problem on Payloads

Thread: Texture problem on Payloads

Charter Member 2011
    Blog Entries

Texture problem on Payloads

How is it possible to rename a payload set ( object DP, BGL file + texture file) in case another colour is wanted.
    Example:
    Baldy has been creating some time ago a set to modify Groundcrew Swordfish to Mk.III standards, i.e. with a radome and canopy on rear cockpit. BUT... he made them in two different colours (black and light grey) under the same name. So when you upload a second kit, it will replace the first one, and all Swordfish Mk.III,s will have the same radome colour.
    How is it possible to rename one of the kits to keep both versions available?

I have the same problem when I repaint wing tanks on Mosquitoes to make them match with the underwing colour.

Thanks for help.

François

Heyfde_bressy ,

A new model has to be made. It will need the new texture with the new model name. With Baldy's permission it won't take long. This will be the case with every bgl model.
    "Courage is the discovery that you may not win, and trying when you know you can lose."-Tom Krause

My works Here: http://www.thefreeflightsite.com/JFortin.htm

Icon18

Francois,

John is only partly correct. For single object bgls there is a shortcut.

Use BGLanalyse to disassemble the bgl.
    Open the .sca using Notepad, & change the Object GUID (4 sets of 4 characters). I usually change the last character in each set. It's a hex character set, so no 9's or 0s & only use A to H.
    Change the bgl name to something unique.
    Change the texture name to something unique.
    Save it, then change the new .sca filename to match the new object bgl name.

You'll need an XP machine to use the SCASM exe to recompile your new .sca file. It's a simple drag & drop onto the SCASM.exe. It should generate a new bgl file.

Now you need to copy the weapon dp file in OBJECTS_DP. Rename it to match the new object bgl name.

Similarly, copy & rename your object texture file (IN SCENEDB/WEAPONS/TEXTURE). Repaint as required.

Drop your new payload bgl file into SCENEDB/WEAPONS/SCENERY.

Change your aircraft dp file to call for the new object bgl - the new weapon/payload should appear.

The key is the new GUID - this is the object's unique identifier. Just changing the bgl name doesn't stop the sim looking for two payloads with the same GUID, you need to assign diferent identifiers into the bgl code.

PS. John is correct, getting permission is always good. ATM Baldy is on holiday, he should be back next week.

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by UncleTgt View Post
    Francois,

John is only partly correct. For single object bgls there is a shortcut.

Use BGLanalyse to disassemble the bgl.
    Open the .sca using Notepad, & change the Object GUID (4 sets of 4 characters). I usually change the last character in each set. It's a hex character set, so no 9's or 0s & only use A to H.
    Change the bgl name to something unique.
    Change the texture name to something unique.
    Save it, then change the new .sca filename to match the new object bgl name.

You'll need an XP machine to use the SCASM exe to recompile your new .sca file. It's a simple drag & drop onto the SCASM.exe. It should generate a new bgl file.

Now you need to copy the weapon dp file in OBJECTS_DP. Rename it to match the new object bgl name.

Similarly, copy & rename your object texture file (IN SCENEDB/WEAPONS/TEXTURE). Repaint as required.

Change your aircraft dp file to call for the new object bgl - the new weapon/payload should appear.

The key is the new GUID - this is the object's unique identifier. Just changing the bgl name doesn't stop the sim looking for two payloads with the same GUID, you need to assign diferent identifiers into the bgl code.

PS. John is correct, getting permission is always good. ATM Baldy is on holiday, he should be back next week.

Hope this helps.
    Not true. SCASM is a 32 bit program and works fine Win 7 and newer. It just uses the old DOS window look.
    "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!" Some SOH Founder.

Charter Member 2011
    Blog Entries
    Thank you all for these wise advices, but I must confess that is is for me just like Chinese...
    First could it be possible to know where to find the programme that I need to open these bloody BGL files?

Then, I'll come back to you in case of failure. And be sure I'll be back for more requests.

Sorry, but I have untill now limited my skills to converting FS09 files to CFS 2, and working with Paint and Paint.net.
    So very far away from your own competences.

François

Check this out.

http://www.thefreeflightsite.com/CFS2_Magazine.htm

Issue #1 has the BGL Analyze in it.
    "Courage is the discovery that you may not win, and trying when you know you can lose."-Tom Krause

Give that a try if you want.

If you're not ready for that, I can do one up for you. Then when Baldy comes back we can get perms to upload. Or I can do one from scratch. Either way works for me.

Permissions

Spying on you all from Isle of Man while on holiday -weather wonderful - no permission needed - I'm quite happy for people to adapt my stuff as long as it's for freeware purposes

Uncle - I think I could see you from the top of Snaefell

baldy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

baldy's stuff at:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...rid=480&sort=d

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    Not true. SCASM is a 32 bit program and works fine Win 7 and newer. It just uses the old DOS window look.
    Allen, thanks for setting me straight. I just tried it to be sure, it works fine on WIN 7 Home Premium OS. I had it mixed up with the MDLC.exe.

Hi François,

For drop tanks added via .dp file, try using a hex editor to open the .bgl file. It fairly simple.
    Give the texture a new name, then edit the *.bmp name in the hex editor to the new name.
    When this is done the *.bgl should be given a new name also.
    Delete the file list .dat file and test.

Cheers, Dave
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hex.jpg  

Do you have the texture?

I have the model in Gmax. If you have them just PM me and I'll give you my email. Name the textures how ever you would like.

If you don't then let me know which textures for the swordfish you plan on using. I can do them to match.

hey DV,

I think you're missing a step.

Quote Originally Posted by UncleTgt View Post
    Can that be done by hex-edit?

Quote Originally Posted by Blood_Hawk23 View Post
    hey DV,
    I think you're missing a step.
    Can that be done by hex-edit?
    Hi Blood Hawk,

You're right on that one. Pr0obably the most important! Otherwise, CTD.

The Objid is underlined. For me, I swap a 4E to a B6 in two or three places then save.
    Haven't had an issue yet. (knock on wood)

And as Uncle tgt stated,

Thanks for pointing that out...next time I'll read the whole thread.
    Dave
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hex2.jpg  

Is that all for the one model? Or is that for a larger bgl?

Quote Originally Posted by Blood_Hawk23 View Post
    Is that all for the one model? Or is that for a larger bgl?
    Only on a bgl.

Members who have read this thread: 0